Jump to content
Kyle

St Johnstone FC Thread

Recommended Posts

I think Callum Booth is an option for centre back in a 3 ahead of Rooney.  Didn’t he play a game there last season, maybe I’m imagining that?

Difficult choice on which area to prioritise, but I’d probably prefer someone in the forward area given our goal scoring form so far, a new face would give the current strikers a boost as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm intensely negative, but really struggling to see us signing a striker better than May/Hendry who's still available in October.

Probably wrong though. 

I'm probably on my own with this, but I think a creative central player is needed more than another striker. Stick one behind May/Hendry, and in front of Davidson/McCann, and let them drop out to the wings and link play, allow the strikers to focus on whats happening in the box, and i think wed be better off. Just now the strikers spend half their life linking play with the wing backs. I imagine Conway/Wotherspoon will take that role though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm intensely negative, but really struggling to see us signing a striker better than May/Hendry who's still available in October.

Probably wrong though. 

I'm probably on my own with this, but I think a creative central player is needed more than another striker. Stick one behind May/Hendry, and in front of Davidson/McCann, and let them drop out to the wings and link play, allow the strikers to focus on whats happening in the box, and i think wed be better off. Just now the strikers spend half their life linking play with the wing backs. I imagine Conway/Wotherspoon will take that role though.

You're not alone, I was thinking similar. Conway has played the classic 'number 10' sort of role and did quite well but he's seems more likely to me to drift wide. Having someone between the 2 strikers would give us options through the middle for link-up play. CD is on record as wanting to push play to the wings and we've been thinking that's his philosophy, but maybe it's in part because that's where he thinks our playing strength lies with Conway, Spoony and MOH all natural wingers. Pushing every single ball out wide is costing us opportunities and making us easy to defend against and we need to be less predictable. 

To me the defender is a second priority. In part because we have a tiny bit of cover for the three centre-backs (Booth) and also because we can move to a back 4 if we need to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not the one who's suggesting the club is indecisive or not changing goalposts. As is there right for what it's worth.
No, the constant digs at Davidson and the board on here and various other places are becoming ridiculous. There's a global pandemic and we've a brand new manager in place who's trying to get the team playing again. I'm not seeing very many positive comments from saints fans, if any at all and right now it's not needed. 
You kind of simply undermine your points by using the words, "little Callum" in what is clearly a derogatory fashion. I'm not defending him at all, nor am I defending the club, both deserve some criticism, but right now it's constant and totally over the top.
You're right that's my opinion, but I'm allowed to give it in the same way you are. 
Correct. I will be happy if we still have a club to support after Covid. Delighted if we avoid relegation and over the fucking moon if we finish anything above tenth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think Callum Booth is an option for centre back in a 3 ahead of Rooney.  Didn’t he play a game there last season, maybe I’m imagining that?
Difficult choice on which area to prioritise, but I’d probably prefer someone in the forward area given our goal scoring form so far, a new face would give the current strikers a boost as well.
The other advantage with Booth is it allows Kerr to stay on the right. When Rooney played against Killie, Kerr was moved to the left and didn't look comfortable there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2020 at 14:41, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Covid redundancy I believe. He wasn't the only one either. 

Kinda replaced by school kid volunteers...

Neither of the above are true.

Anyway his replacement started today just over 3 years after he left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Neither of the above are true.

Anyway his replacement started today just over 3 years after he left. 

Yeah about 4 people have said since the weekend. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The suggestion of a central midfielder that creates is fair, and it was probably the biggest gap in the side at the start of the season.  I thought signing Bryson might have been to cover that area and allow McCann to support the strikers more.

I get that McCann isn’t a natural no.10 type, he’s more a safe and reliable player in possession that a take risks type, but as said above there’s Conway, Spoony and MOH to fit in as attacking midfielder types to fit in as well, added to Craig, Davidson, McCann and Bryson.  

Would another be overkill when we currently have 3 recognised first team strikers*/ 3 centre backs?
 

(not counting Olafe or Robertson here as currently they don’t appear to feature strongly in the first team plans; this could change obviously).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neither of the above are true.
Anyway his replacement started today just over 3 years after he left. 


#Rosswilldealwithit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

 


#Rosswilldealwithit

 

We're seeing now how good Ross was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The suggestion of a central midfielder that creates is fair, and it was probably the biggest gap in the side at the start of the season.  I thought signing Bryson might have been to cover that area and allow McCann to support the strikers more.

I get that McCann isn’t a natural no.10 type, he’s more a safe and reliable player in possession that a take risks type, but as said above there’s Conway, Spoony and MOH to fit in as attacking midfielder types to fit in as well, added to Craig, Davidson, McCann and Bryson.  

Would another be overkill when we currently have 3 recognised first team strikers*/ 3 centre backs?
 

(not counting Olafe or Robertson here as currently they don’t appear to feature strongly in the first team plans; this could change obviously).

Arguably the squad's thin in every area so it's right to point out that we might not need another midfielder. It's just that we seem to offer so little through the middle. Even when Kerr gets forward he seems to be heading up the right wing, such is our total dedication to crossing. Our central midfielders are either holding types or box-to-box runners, or wingers in the wrong place. Or in Bryson's case, half-knacked. We don't seem to have that player that can open up a defence so there's a lot of that work falling onto Hendry and May.

All that said given the low conversion rate (even Sportscene picked up on it) maybe we just need a change up front.  I'd be happy with anyone that gives us that bit more depth as we're 2 bad tackles and a suspension away from running on fumes. 

Anyway .... the rumour was that Duffy and Kane were on the way out. Don't imagine either will free up a lot of cash but hopefully enough for one more, and maybe a quality playmaker is out of our budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the whole hope to get someone in/not sure we'll be able to sign anyone charade draining. By that I mean the changing of the narrative in every interview and lack of consistency in message. 

If it was a bit of a game to Tommy Wright, it would be one trait that Callum Davidson would do very well not to adopt.

As @RandomGuy. has pointed out, we have 15, what you would call senior, outfield players and there's still even talk that someone (Kane?) might have to move on loan to sign someone.

Whilst I appreciate the restrictions of the pandemic, it's disappointing that we feel we can only operate at what will be essentially the bare bones.

All it seems to have been for the past 2 years is good players going out and cheaper replacements coming in. I'm glad we have the young assets protected but even that won't work unless offers come in or they are prepared to get further extensions sorted in suitable order. 

I'm still positive about this group of players but just wonder how much longer we can get away with cutting back the budget. 

Hopefully that's the curse put on it and the striking solution to our ills signs today...

Edited by Radford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we’ll get someone in the door soon. I’ve heard we’re very Keane on a striker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Hopefully we’ll get someone in the door soon. I’ve heard we’re very Keane on a striker. 

‘Will’ you reveal who it is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...