Kyle

St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

4 signings so far and not one of them is contracted to be here next season! 

While I'd normally love to see us signing young prospects with something to prove on decent deals, these are not normal times. If a couple of loans and a couple of ageing jobbers on season-long contracts mean we can get through the season in one piece, then so be it.

1 minute ago, Shipa said:

While I'd normally love to see us signing young prospects with something to prove on decent deals, these are not normal times. If a couple of loans and a couple of ageing jobbers on season-long contracts mean we can get through the season in one piece, then so be it.

What if the ageing jobbers aren’t good enough and we end up relegated? 

4 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

What if the ageing jobbers aren’t good enough and we end up relegated? 

Could happen with whoever we sign. I do share concerns about Bryson's fitness, but that aside with an older player I feel you have a better idea of what they can do, and so while an up-and-coming player could be a huge success, it is more of a risk.

50 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Could happen with whoever we sign. I do share concerns about Bryson's fitness, but that aside with an older player I feel you have a better idea of what they can do, and so while an up-and-coming player could be a huge success, it is more of a risk.

Ive been wondering if we're actively targeting experienced players this Summer to negate any issues of a rookie manager in charge of a young side.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive been wondering if we're actively targeting experienced players this Summer to negate any issues of a rookie manager in charge of a young side.

Could be something in that. Tommy seemed to be actively bringing the age down, but he also seemed decent at getting the best out of young players, and while CD may be more than capable of doing the same, TW's departure has probably made the club less likely take chances. Hopefully we can plod through this season and get back to some normality, and while I fully understand clubs being cautious,   there is a worry for me that, not just at Saints, a lot of young players will find their careers badly affected.

2 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

4 signings so far and not one of them is contracted to be here next season! 

I Could be wrong but it is my belief that this is because we are in the middle of a global pandemic and no one knows when fans will be allowed into games. 

On the other hand we have 3 promising youngsters away out on loan .Now no one knows how that will work out but for me its definitely due to current situation. 

5 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I Could be wrong but it is my belief that this is because we are in the middle of a global pandemic and no one knows when fans will be allowed into games. 

On the other hand we have 3 promising youngsters away out on loan .Now no one knows how that will work out but for me its definitely due to current situation. 

We normally have youngsters on loan to lower/non-league sides. I wasn't sure if that would happen this year, thought maybe some would get a chance in our squad, but are they ready for that?

I do believe we once upon a time signed  an  Ex Aberdeen Crock  in his thirties ! he  went on to play for us for few years  and was mostly a first pick in the team! so lets give him chance.   

No hard feelings towards Bryson. Was happy we signed him but it just didn't work out. Allegedly his deal was heavily weighted towards appearances and that's why he was coming back from injury too soon.

1 hour ago, Center half said:

I do believe we once upon a time signed  an  Ex Aberdeen Crock  in his thirties ! he  went on to play for us for few years  and was mostly a first pick in the team! so lets give him chance.   

Rory Fallon? 

Bryson last played 90 minutes in April 2019. He's started 8 games since then and has only managed much over an hour once. I wonder what convinces a manager that there is much left in the tank when faced with that.

53 minutes ago, Radford said:

Bryson last played 90 minutes in April 2019. He's started 8 games since then and has only managed much over an hour once. I wonder what convinces a manager that there is much left in the tank when faced with that.

Honest answer. He or the club are unlikely to have done the research you've done so has absolutely no idea thats the case. 

56 minutes ago, Radford said:

I imagine his thought process will be under review if/when Bryson gets injured and he goes to Brown to try and get another wage for another CM.

I wonder if the Bryson signing is costing us much at all.

Saints need bodies, especially in midfield, and it looks like outgoings are going to be kept at an absolute minimum this season.  I think 10th place is probably job done for the board.

Bryson has possibly been told his opportunities will be limited at Aberdeen, and he needs to prove his fitness. He'll benefit from getting more first team opportunities. 

In which case, it's no bad deal for Saints as there's not much to lose.

If, however, it is the case that we're covering a reasonable proportion of his wages and he's seen as a key signing, then I agree with others that it's a crazy gamble based on his number of appearances over the past couple of seasons.

eTa - I thought he was signed on loan, apparently not.

Edited by PauloPerth

30 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Come on, I know we can be tinpot on the marketing and general fan communication side of things, but the football side is generally well run. I would be amazed if we’ve not looked at his injury record. 

Knowing his injury record is one thing. Knowing finer details such as him only managing over 60 mins once is different. 

I'm struggling to understand if they did know that on top of his injury record that they'd think he's fit and capable still playing regularly and therefore a risk worth taking. 

Were known to be very risk adverse, would Brown sanction a deal knowing those stats? Hmmm...

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

There is absolutely no chance Saints are signing players without doing adequate due diligence, some hit and hope loans from the English seaside leagues excepted, 

As you say, Steve Brown is risk-a(d!)verse, he will drive an extra 10 miles to save 2 pence a litre, there’s no way he’s just saying yes to signings without it being shown they represent value. 

How much research do you think they done on Madis Vihmann?

Saints signings are based on players the manager knows, or players that friends of the manager highlight. Vihmann played against NI just months before he was signed.

Bryson has been signed based on what he was, rather than what he is. I daresay the only real research was asking McInnes and Rowett for an opinion.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much research do you think they done on Madis Vihmann?

Saints signings are based on players the manager knows, or players that friends of the manager highlight. Vihmann played against NI just months before he was signed.

Bryson has been signed based on what he was, rather than what he is. I daresay the only real research was asking McInnes and Rowett for an opinion.

Think we're thinking the same things here. 

Ps. @ali_91 don't be that guy. Pointing out spelling mistakes on the internet. It just makes you come across like a bellend. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.