Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

56 minutes ago, Radford said:

Bryson last played 90 minutes in April 2019. He's started 8 games since then and has only managed much over an hour once. I wonder what convinces a manager that there is much left in the tank when faced with that.

I imagine his thought process will be under review if/when Bryson gets injured and he goes to Brown to try and get another wage for another CM.

I wonder if the Bryson signing is costing us much at all.

Saints need bodies, especially in midfield, and it looks like outgoings are going to be kept at an absolute minimum this season.  I think 10th place is probably job done for the board.

Bryson has possibly been told his opportunities will be limited at Aberdeen, and he needs to prove his fitness. He'll benefit from getting more first team opportunities. 

In which case, it's no bad deal for Saints as there's not much to lose.

If, however, it is the case that we're covering a reasonable proportion of his wages and he's seen as a key signing, then I agree with others that it's a crazy gamble based on his number of appearances over the past couple of seasons.

eTa - I thought he was signed on loan, apparently not.

Edited by PauloPerth

30 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Come on, I know we can be tinpot on the marketing and general fan communication side of things, but the football side is generally well run. I would be amazed if we’ve not looked at his injury record. 

Knowing his injury record is one thing. Knowing finer details such as him only managing over 60 mins once is different. 

I'm struggling to understand if they did know that on top of his injury record that they'd think he's fit and capable still playing regularly and therefore a risk worth taking. 

Were known to be very risk adverse, would Brown sanction a deal knowing those stats? Hmmm...

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

There is absolutely no chance Saints are signing players without doing adequate due diligence, some hit and hope loans from the English seaside leagues excepted, 

As you say, Steve Brown is risk-a(d!)verse, he will drive an extra 10 miles to save 2 pence a litre, there’s no way he’s just saying yes to signings without it being shown they represent value. 

How much research do you think they done on Madis Vihmann?

Saints signings are based on players the manager knows, or players that friends of the manager highlight. Vihmann played against NI just months before he was signed.

Bryson has been signed based on what he was, rather than what he is. I daresay the only real research was asking McInnes and Rowett for an opinion.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much research do you think they done on Madis Vihmann?

Saints signings are based on players the manager knows, or players that friends of the manager highlight. Vihmann played against NI just months before he was signed.

Bryson has been signed based on what he was, rather than what he is. I daresay the only real research was asking McInnes and Rowett for an opinion.

Think we're thinking the same things here. 

Ps. @ali_91 don't be that guy. Pointing out spelling mistakes on the internet. It just makes you come across like a bellend. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Na, still not having this, it is well known that Bryson has issues with injuries, the idea that we’re signing players with long-standing injury records without that being considered in detail before signing is doing Saints a massive disservice.

I mean, we signed Drey Wright after multiple knee injuries including ligament damage, and within 3 months he was ruled out for the rest of the season with ligament damage to a knee.

He’d played 43 and 44 games respectively in the two seasons prior to signing, his ACL injury was three years previous. 

Even if he had done his Achilles the week before signing that would be irrelevant to this discussion, as nobody is saying we don’t sign players with bad injury records. 

Aye thats fair. Thing with Wright was he was a young guy worth gambling on, as there's a potential resale if he done well. You can understand why they took that risk.

A 34yo CM who probably wouldn't even start when everyone's fit? Doesn't feel worth it.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I wonder if the Bryson signing is costing us much at all.

Saints need bodies, especially in midfield, and it looks like outgoings are going to be kept at an absolute minimum this season.  I think 10th place is probably job done for the board.

Bryson has possibly been told his opportunities will be limited at Aberdeen, and he needs to prove his fitness. He'll benefit from getting more first team opportunities. 

In which case, it's no bad deal for Saints as there's not much to lose.

If, however, it is the case that we're covering a reasonable proportion of his wages 

Wait am I missing summat here ?  Why would we only cover a proportion of his wages as he was released by Aberdeen and signed by us until end of season ? 

2 hours ago, chips said:

Wait am I missing summat here ?  Why would we only cover a proportion of his wages as he was released by Aberdeen and signed by us until end of season ? 

No I fucked up. I had only read the headline he'd signed for us til the end of the season and have somehow thought he was only on loan.

We've only scored in 3 of our 8 matches.

We've lost 4 close games we should have won, or at the very least got a draw out of, by 1-0.

Teams don't have to work particularly hard to get goals against us; Killie, Aberdeen, Hibs and now County goals were all put on a plate for the opposition.

In a season where the league outwith the top 4 looks like it'll be very tight, with no team getting cast adrift, our inability to grind out points is a concern.

There's not many of our squad playing awful at all, most weeks there's not many having howlers that I can think of. But we've pretty much got our strongest team available so there's not stacks of injuries we can blame either.

We are performing like the absolute stereotype of a team that gets relegated at the minute.

Probably sounds over the top, but with over 20% of the season done, and always the threat of an early curtailment to the season hanging over the game, I hope we don't just drift along hoping our luck will change.  Feel something fundamental has to change.

Whether the drive and leadership of Murray coming back in, or Zander being a bit more reliable in goal can make an impact, or even dropping a centre back and looking at a change of formation to 4 at the back, who knows?  But we need to find a way of grinding out a win to kickstart a wee run.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We are performing like the absolute stereotype of a team that gets relegated at the minute.

Don't agree with that at all. Last season we looked like a relegation team, in that we were rubbish, like most relegated teams are. 

Saints have issues but other than for the first hour at Killie, I've seen plenty to be encouraged about. Of course the negatives need discussed but surprised how many fans are ignoring the good signs. 

You've said yourself, most players are doing away fine and without massively over simplifying it, our luck will change. 

It might not be this week or next but it'll come together. 

Very rarely I’ll be happy when we lose and I think we need to vary our attacking play a bit but some of the stuff I’m reading is absolutely ridiculous.  There are bellends on social media shouting for Davidson to go. He is a new manager with 8 (eight) games experience ffs.

I thought Stevie May had a decent game and got involved in a lot of our play. What he needs to do though is sometimes just step back and get himself in the box earlier. Little tweaks... 

I actually think Hendry and May play the wrong way round. I want May to be linking play and Hendry to be on the shoulder, it would help them both I reckon.

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

I actually think Hendry and May play the wrong way round. I want May to be linking play and Hendry to be on the shoulder, it would help them both I reckon.

He's lost a yard but I still like May on the shoulder at times. Hendry both individually and from a team point of view can't just become a battering ram though. He's much better than that. 

Definitely preferred what we had today to O'Halloran up top in games like these. 

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Don't agree with that at all. Last season we looked like a relegation team, in that we were rubbish, like most relegated teams are. 

Saints have issues but other than for the first hour at Killie, I've seen plenty to be encouraged about. Of course the negatives need discussed but surprised how many fans are ignoring the good signs. 

You've said yourself, most players are doing away fine and without massively over simplifying it, our luck will change. 

It might not be this week or next but it'll come together. 

Last season we had the hope that we’d improve when players came back in. We were awful but there was a sense we could play much better.

This season is nothing like that. I think we’ve played well in many games but not got results. I think that’s often the case with teams that finish near the bottom, they look back over lots of dropped points that got away and missed opportunities.

I’ve been saying for a few games now that we just need to keep plugging away as our luck will turn, but how long do we stick with that theory?

People calling for Davidson to go aren’t worth listening to, absolute nonsense if folk are saying that.

But I do think we need to do something to spark a change rather than keep plugging away hoping doing the same thing will eventually pay dividends. It might be starting Murray and Zander, or even Bryson, or a tweak in formation.

Can it really just be down to bad luck that we’ve narrowly lost 4 matches where we were the better team?  Maybe it is.

I’m not for a minute saying we’re going to be relegated, I genuinely think we are far too good to go down, but anything could happen this season, including it being wrapped up at Christmas, so being as far away from the wrong end of the table is even more important than usual.

7 hours ago, Radford said:

Definitely preferred what we had today to O'Halloran up top in games like these. 

I agree completely, and think MOH played reasonably well when he came on to create stuff against a team camped in. Probably not what MOH wants to be but he has impact sub written all over him. 

13 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Last season we had the hope that we’d improve when players came back in. We were awful but there was a sense we could play much better.

We also had a manager that was proven at being able to pull us out of trouble, but now we have an unknown quantity. 

No panic stations for me. The Hibs and to a lesser extent the Aberdeen game we were genuinely unlucky against teams that on paper would be very tough wins. The last two, not so much, which makes them more worrying, although it looks to me like we're by and large playing in the right shape. 

Overall we seem to be lacking invention, speed and sharpness. I think what's most concerning is that our new manager is signing players that offer the opposite. 

Secondly, there's something about the performance yesterday that really concerned me. We didn't seem to lift the energy levels after half time. One nil down to a poorly defended late 1st half goal after controlling much of the match we should have been out for the start of the second all guns blazing. Been wondering if CD has the team motivated yet, they didn't seem to have much desire yesterday at all. I only remember Parish looking like there was any real urgency, and Murray and MOH when they came on.

On paper Davidson is a solid choice for manager but his media work hasn't been inspiring (to me at least) - very flat and by the numbers management speak. Beginning to wonder if he's got the inspirational leadership qualities needed to drag this lot out of a slump. 

The attacking centre back model, along with getting Ali further up and getting Muzz back should certainly help if he's persisting with the policy of going wide and shelling in crosses. Next week will be interesting, Livi looked really good today. I expect Zander will be back, for better or worse. Beginning to believe Random's theory that Parish might be cursed.

Still, might just be one of those days, even Danny McNamara seemed off it yesterday, his first below par performance for us. Problem is we just can't afford off-days this year or we'll sleepwalk to relegation.