Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

With their tiny budget as well. Very strange.

Tbf with the sale of Turnbull, plus a sell on for Kipre, they're probably not far off £3m in fees coming in this window.

Remarkable what buying young players, playing them, promoting them, getting them on long deals and then selling them can do for a club.

Looked like a route we were heading down last season, but we'd likely replace Jason Kerr with Gary Caldwell now.

Edited by RandomGuy.

14 hours ago, Radford said:

It brings joy to my heart that I no longer need to watch Ross Callqchan or Paul Paton in our midfield. 

That game against Trakai should've seen the end of Paul Paton at Saints. Their players just waited for him to get the ball and would just take it away from him after his inevitably shite first touch. They sussed him after 5 minutes in the home game and it happened countless times.

Callachan was no better, possibly even worse. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf with the sale of Turnbull, plus a sell on for Kipre, they're probably not far off £3m in fees coming in this window.

Remarkable what buying young players, playing them, promoting them, getting them on long deals and then selling them can do for a club.

Looked like a route we were heading down last season, but we'd likely replace Jason Kerr with Gary Caldwell now.

In fairness, it's doubtful we actually made anything out of a sell on for Kipré due to Wigan's administrators punting him for £900k. The general train of thought was that we might be looking to waive any nominal fee but try and make Lang's loan permanent but there's been nothing further on that.

Either way, depending on how much faith you have in reported transfer fees in the media then our pivot to the player trading strategy when Les Hutchison got involved has brought in close to £9m.

Spoiler

20/21 - David Turnbull (Celtic) - £3m - Transfer
19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) £350k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish including sell on - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

Total = £8.94m

For a bit of context during McCall's time as manager (2010 - 2014) we brought in £800k.

Spoiler

10/11 - Mark Reynolds (Sheffield Wednesday) - £100k
11/12 - John Sutton (Hearts) - free 
12/13 - Steve Jennings (Coventry City) - free
12/13 - Jamie Murphy (Sheffield United) - £100k 
12/13 - Nicky Law (Rangers) - free 
13/14 - Darren Randolph (Birminham) - free 
13/14 - Chris Humphrey (Preston North End) - free 
13/14 - Henrik Ojamaa - (Legia Warsaw) - £300k
13/14 - Michael Higdon - (NEC Nijmegen) - free
13/14 - Tom Hateley - (Tranmere Rovers) - free
14/15 - Shaun Hutchinson (Fulham) - free
14/15 - Henri Anier (Erzgebirge Aue) - £300k

Total: £800k.

Fully aware I'm posting this with us sitting bottom of the league so I'm absolutely not giving it the big "look at us"  but it's really just to support your point about the difference a change in strategy can have with that sort of thing.

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Are we not playing on the Tuesday after?

League cup. More likely that gets moved to the Wednesday. Thats certainly more likely than Celtic playing their European tie on the Wednesday as UEFA absolutely won't move their fixtures to accommodate SPFL and SFA simply won't ask Celtic to play us on the Friday or Saturday with their game on the Thursday.

Unless Celtic get knocked out though, then it doesnt matter!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Kelty game could end up off.

Thinking out the box here, could saints not offer to switch it to McDiarmid and have the Kelty players tested there and maybe split the costs? So long as they’re kept separate and only turn up and get tested before leaving again that would surely help them out.

Appreciate it’ll never happen since they’d also face the same issues against the lower league teams, but there must be a way around it.

Just now, Widge said:

Thinking out the box here, could saints not offer to switch it to McDiarmid and have the Kelty players tested there and maybe split the costs? So long as they’re kept separate and only turn up and get tested before leaving again that would surely help them out.

Appreciate it’ll never happen since they’d also face the same issues against the lower league teams, but there must be a way around it.

United would have to do similar for Kelty as well. 

There's a chance the whole thing could end up binned if quite a few of the part time sides withdraw for the same reason. Can't see many of them seeing the value in paying for tests for closed door games against Premiership sides. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Kelty game could end up off.

From the manager of a club who were outspending ICT for players.

Sorry if I've no sympathy. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well this is very true and I don't think they of all teams have any right to talk about resources. 😂

19 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

United would have to do similar for Kelty as well. 

There's a chance the whole thing could end up binned if quite a few of the part time sides withdraw for the same reason. Can't see many of them seeing the value in paying for tests for closed door games against Premiership sides. 

Yeah United would need to do likewise, I don't see it happening, but if there is ever a time to help other teams out, now is that time.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was more looking from a perspective of that is the fixture meant to be the Tuesday following our Friday Celtic fixture that was discussed yesterday as likely being moved. 

If the League cup game does end up in the bin the Celtic game will end up on the Monday or something 😐

I didn't really put much thought into to whether they could or couldnt afford tests. Although yeah, a bit pot kettle complaining about costs but that seems typical of football clubs right now. England was prime for "were making 50 staff at the club redundant" then the same day announcing new signings on 250k a week. 

I was more looking from a perspective of that is the fixture meant to be the Tuesday following our Friday Celtic fixture that was discussed yesterday as likely being moved. 

If the League cup game does end up in the bin the Celtic game will end up on the Monday or something [emoji52]
I didn't really put much thought into to whether they could or couldnt afford tests. Although yeah, a bit pot kettle complaining about costs but that seems typical of football clubs right now. England was prime for "were making 50 staff at the club redundant" then the same day announcing new signings on 250k a week. 

Not just England....

32 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Nadir Ciftci is apparently up for grabs...

I cant imagine us going for such a "maverick" this season. Feels like we're trying to offset having a rookie manager by building an easy to manage, experienced, squad.

Ciftci, and Stokes, don't fit that.