Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

If you live abroad does Saints TV show all games? Or just most / some

Can anyone tell me the yearly price? Only the UK packages show for me just now.

Will this be the same during covid, if everyone else can get games too

£12 a month or £120 annually for international. I don't have it personally but I believe it was only some games but not all due to restrictions on access to home teams broadcast pictures. IE Rangers not allowing Saints access or Livi's internet not being good enough. 

This season could well be even less away games particularly during lockdown as there might be restrictions on media staff allowed into behind closed door games as they won't have been tested etc. Clubs might also be less keen on giving us access to their broadcast as well if they're allowed to sell streams to us as away fans (tbc).

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

£12 a month or £120 annually for international. I don't have it personally but I believe it was some but not all due to restrictions on access to home teams pictures. IE Rangers not allowing it or Livi's internet not being good enough. 

This season could well be even less away games particularly during lockdown as there might be restrictions on media staff allowed into behind closed door games as they won't have been tested etc. Clubs might also be less keen on giving us access to their broadcast as well if they're allowed to sell streams to us as away fans (tbc).

I have the international.

As @Mr Positive, sometimes. says there are a couple of teams that you can't get and of course you have to put up with the home commentary if it's an away game. 

I think that this year there will probably no fewer games available as there will be more broadcast capacity available.  Maybe the teams that don't have reciprocal agreements will simply go PPV (seems to be what United are doing, ,maybe would have been different if it was a normal season). I expect that Saints will already pay the home clubs for streams for ex-uk broadcast and I would think that such contracts would be on a more than single-season basis. 

As I understand it you can cancel any time so why not just go for it at £12 per month and it it's not working out for you after that then cancel. It's only the cost of one game you'd be in for. You'll also get the home games of course. 

I've not had any contact from Saints TV about what they may or may not be doing during COVID. Would obviously be annoyed if there was no access at all to away streams. 

10 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

As I understand it you can cancel any time so why not just go for it at £12 per month and it it's not working out for you after that then cancel. It's only the cost of one game you'd be in for. You'll also get the home games of course. 

Thanks both, I think I might do this. I'm half keen to the idea of giving something back to the club, but still tightersed enough I want to get something decent in return for it. Couching it as a distance season ticket therefore kind of makes it attractive.

I think monthly is the sensible answer, thanks.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

You're correct. He's spoken to Saints. 

Ffs. Why? 

Cheap 4th choice CB, presumably. 26yo with over 200 senior games fits the profile too. Is he going to cope any worse than Duffy? And presumably he'll only ever feature in a back three.

Someone like that and you'd say the defence is done.

Edited by RandomGuy.

If the manager sees the team playing a back three almost exclusively then he needs another centre back, as Duffy - at this moment in time - reduces the quality of the side drastically. 

Fourth choice centre back is a hard sell in terms of recruitment. 

Partick are in for him as well.

He’ll be signing for Partick then despite them being in the seaside leagues, after all they play better football lads.

That's 9 first team defenders...

2 left backs. 3 right backs and 4 central defenders. 

Don't think Duffy right now is up to the challenge but surely the money could have be spent better elsewhere or on someone capable of covering more than 1 of the positions. 

Are we going to end up in January that we don't have budget to extend Booth's deal and end up with 1 fit left back as well?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Do you just stick with a player in the squad if you really don't rate them? It wouldn't be the biggest shock if CD just didn't fancy Duffy at all and that's why he's brought McNamara in. Same would then apply to centre back. 

This isn't about not supporting Duffy but would maybe explain why he's looking to add defenders.  Would anyone genuinely be comfortable if we had to play Duffy for an extended period? 

Of course, if we end up without a midfielder or winger then questions will be asked but it's much easier to pick up young guys on loan from Millwall or a fourth choice centre back than a starting quality central midfielder.

21 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

That's 9 first team defenders...

Including Duffy, who will hopefully get a loan somewhere.

Even then, 8 defenders, plus one loanee, fighting over 5 positions sounds about right.

Cheap 4th choice CB, presumably. 26yo with over 200 senior games fits the profile too. Is he going to cope any worse than Duffy? And presumably he'll only ever feature in a back three.
Someone like that and you'd say the defence is done.
Has been training with us since training restarted. Davidson worked with him at the pars. Ideal cover for one of the 3 starters. Gives us a solid base at the back with all options covered. Compared to the shambles at the start of last season in that area, more than happy.

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Ideal cover for one of the 3 starters. Gives us a solid base at the back with all options covered. Compared to the shambles at the start of last season in that area, more than happy.

Aye, last season showed us that you're only as good as your back ups.

Ashcroft seems like a decent enough shout to me. Still young for a centre back, loads of experience in the top flight and the level below and captained Dunfermline. 

As Radford mentioned, as long as we get a midfielder and a winger still, I'm happy enough with that.