Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Looks like Conway is on his way. 

201A4C09-2128-433F-AEB6-1E613DFCDBFE.png

Happy enough with that, especially since its not been rushed into as such. Having him training for ~2 weeks and playing in a match before deciding was sensible.

It's easy to look good in training. Not in the sense that Conway is a Monday to Friday superstar but the intensity of a Saturday can't be replicated until it comes around. We aren't going to know if is age is an issue until the games get going, or especially if we'll get a full season out of him. 

We aren't going to have the wide options we've had in recent years so it'll be important they can all contribute. You know you'll get that from Wotherspoon but hopefully O'Halloran will rise to the challenge again. 

Security with Conway would be if he is a good influence and I think adding a good, experienced character to the playing squad makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's easy to look good in training. Not in the sense that Conway is a Monday to Friday superstar but the intensity of a Saturday can't be replicated until it comes around. We aren't going to know if is age is an issue until the games get going, or especially if we'll get a full season out of him. 

We aren't going to have the wide options we've had in recent years so it'll be important they can all contribute. You know you'll get that from Wotherspoon but hopefully O'Halloran will rise to the challenge again. 

Security with Conway would be if he is a good influence and I think adding a good, experienced character to the playing squad makes sense.

Has Davidson made any noises about captaincy? Might do Kerr some good to sit back from that for a season, and Conway has captained a few times in previous clubs as far as I understand. 

Conway can't be seen as a replacement for either Kennedy or Wright, so agree we could still do with signing one more if the opportunity is there. With the window lasting through October though and with the likelihood being that there may still be some choice in the market / free agents maybe CD wants to see the team in real match action before making any decisions. 

Happy enough with Conway I guess, seems a safe enough move and balances out the unknown (to us) young loanees. 

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Sore one for Shaughnessy that.

It was always about the cash so he'll be happy. Going back to Aberdeen last season would have been the correct decision, European football and a decent wage but instead his dad fucked it and he chose money instead.

With respect, I appreciate we as fans have opinions on potential good or bad signings, but if 2 current experienced players tell me " Conway is still playing at a top level and a very fit lad" that suggests to me that he will not only show up well in training but in matches also.

June 2019 ( 1 year ago) Tony Mowbray, Blackburn manager offered him a new contract in the English championship. If he had no issues about his intensity etc.

20 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It was always about the cash so he'll be happy. Going back to Aberdeen last season would have been the correct decision, European football and a decent wage but instead his dad fucked it and he chose money instead.

I don't grudge him going but I was surprised he was leaving Scotland. Don't think he has any stand out traits that would have helped him excel down there. Surely on less wages now than he was at St Johnstone?

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't grudge him going but I was surprised he was leaving Scotland. Don't think he has any stand out traits that would have helped him excel down there. Surely on less wages now than he was at St Johnstone?

No idea what he was earning before or after but I imagine he'll be less than the contract offers he got from both Saints and Aberdeen. I imagine Aberdeens offer would have been good and Saints offer would have been a quite reasonable increase in terms from what he was on before as well. 

Thats what happens when you let your Dad look after your affairs with no previous experience of being a football agent though. If you're going to go into negotiations with Saints ask for Old Firm level money then you're either deluded or playing some kind of game.

Funny thing is the Southend wage wont have been any better than Aberdeens offer in the end surely?!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

18 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

No idea what he was earning before or after but I imagine he'll be less than the contract offers he got from both Saints and Aberdeen. I imagine Aberdeens offer would have been good and Saints offer would have been a quite reasonable increase in terms from what he was on before as well. 

Thats what happens when you let your Dad look after your affairs with no previous experience of being a football agent though. If you're going to go into negotiations with Saints ask for Old Firm level money then you're either deluded or playing some kind of game.

Funny thing is the Southend wage wont have been any better than Aberdeens offer in the end surely?!

Our players wages are topped up quite well by bonuses. Both appearance and what we achieve in regard to league placings and cup progress. In the near future it's gonig to take some form of gross mismanagement for us to fall out of the top six so I'd suggest we'd have offered him a very good deal.

Quite pleased if Conway does sign. I don’t want us to sign someone for the sake of it but I still think we’re light in centre midfield, especially with the way Muzz plays and Liam getting on and with a condensed pre-season we could easily pick up a few niggles. I really wouldn’t want to see spoony as part of a two if we do get any injuries. It seems strange that a few people agree we need another option in the middle yet the ITK’s saying no mentions of any centre mids. 

36 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Quite pleased if Conway does sign. I don’t want us to sign someone for the sake of it but I still think we’re light in centre midfield, especially with the way Muzz plays and Liam getting on and with a condensed pre-season we could easily pick up a few niggles. I really wouldn’t want to see spoony as part of a two if we do get any injuries. It seems strange that a few people agree we need another option in the middle yet the ITK’s saying no mentions of any centre mids. 

The ITKs are saying there hasn't been anyone in training/on trial. Doesn't mean we're not speaking to players in that position, Davidson said he hoped to add another player 'pretty soon' and it wasn't Conway I don't think as he addressed him specifically later in the same interview.