Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I know I’ve been pissed of about the lack of kits so far but this is a genuine question, with less than 2 weeks until the season starts what would happen if we don’t have new kits in time for the season  starting? Would we be allowed to wear last seasons until the new ones are ready?

Covid 19 excuse  rules seem to be the prevailing answer to everything from delivery's cock ups to wrong materials being shipped to sites just now! so i would we would use that. 

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I know I’ve been pissed of about the lack of kits so far but this is a genuine question, with less than 2 weeks until the season starts what would happen if we don’t have new kits in time for the season  starting? Would we be allowed to wear last seasons until the new ones are ready?

I seen someone on twitter a few weeks ago suggesting the official font used for numbers and names etc had potentially changed, not sure if that's definitely true but if it is then we'll need to redo all those on the strips if the new ones aren't ready. Is it possible to remove those kind of things without damaging the kit?

No idea what rules are around using previous season strips... Presume it would be fine though but I'm guessing.

Wonder if Joe Shaughnessy is going to get that wage that he was looking for last summer? That's rhetorical by the way; Tommy Wright said it was "way beyond what we could pay or have ever paid" when his dad finally put a figure down after 5 months of pissing about. 

He'll do well for St Mirren I'm sure but still think we are allowed a smile at the fact he's ended up there after his big dreams a year ago. 

Edited by Radford

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I seen someone on twitter a few weeks ago suggesting the official font used for numbers and names etc had potentially changed, not sure if that's definitely true but if it is then we'll need to redo all those on the strips if the new ones aren't ready. Is it possible to remove those kind of things without damaging the kit?

No idea what rules are around using previous season strips... Presume it would be fine though but I'm guessing.

The font has changed, based on the reveals of other clubs kits.

I doubt they'd allow us to use last seasons fonts, and then it would also depend on if we have the exact same sponsorships as last season for this years tops.

I'd be surprised if they didnt at least have the tops for August 1st, we got away with not using the new socks (can't remember about the shorts) in early cup games last season.

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

Wonder if Joe Shaughnessy is going to get that wage that he was looking for last summer? That's rhetorical by the way; Tommy Wright said it was "way beyond what we could pay or have ever paid" when his dad finally put a figure down after 5 months of pissing about. 

He'll do well for St Mirren I'm sure but still think we are allowed a smile at the fact he's ended up there after his big dreams a year ago. 

This was one of the better things to happen to our defence in my opinion. I think we have better players now.  He was willing to throw himself in front of everything but if I correctly recall we were losing a lot of goals to cross balls.  He also seemed to think he was Sergei with his passing and he clearly wasn’t. He can throw the ball far though.  

Much happier with Kerr, McCart and Gordon.

6 minutes ago, Bose said:

This was one of the better things to happen to our defence in my opinion. I think we have better players now.  He was willing to throw himself in front of everything but if I correctly recall we were losing a lot of goals to cross balls.  He also seemed to think he was Sergei with his passing and he clearly wasn’t. He can throw the ball far though.  

Much happier with Kerr, McCart and Gordon.

Pretty sure Shaughnessy had the highest aerial duel win ratio in the league when he played with saints, he was certainly up there. As you say though, he wasn't the best with crosses and often let it drop over his head or didn't get in front of his man. The season he was at his best with us, he simplified his game to get rid of the ball quicker. Once Wright moved to try and play a more expansive passing out from the back game he fell to bits. His short passing is pretty poor and he never moved the ball on quickly enough. I'd have had him back, but he'd be hard pushed to get in the team ahead of our current options. 

18 minutes ago, Widge said:

Pretty sure Shaughnessy had the highest aerial duel win ratio in the league when he played with saints, he was certainly up there. As you say though, he wasn't the best with crosses and often let it drop over his head or didn't get in front of his man. The season he was at his best with us, he simplified his game to get rid of the ball quicker. Once Wright moved to try and play a more expansive passing out from the back game he fell to bits. His short passing is pretty poor and he never moved the ball on quickly enough. I'd have had him back, but he'd be hard pushed to get in the team ahead of our current options. 

Initially that stat surprised me but I think he was very good with goal kicks/kick outs etc.

The font has changed, based on the reveals of other clubs kits.
I doubt they'd allow us to use last seasons fonts, and then it would also depend on if we have the exact same sponsorships as last season for this years tops.
I'd be surprised if they didnt at least have the tops for August 1st, we got away with not using the new socks (can't remember about the shorts) in early cup games last season.

IMG_3484.jpg
Get Steve to phone Fat Mike, maybe get a better deal.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shaughnessy signs for St. Mirren....good signing lads?

I'd say so, he's solid for the most part. Decent turn of pace and wins more than his fair share of headers. He can be prone to being bullied by physical strikers (ala Dykes) and will often get caught dwelling on the ball, especially if he's asked to play out from the back. Which is his major weakness, his passing can be poor at times, often leaving it short for those at fullback, or overhitting it straight out the park.

I wouldn't swap him for our current centrebacks, but he's a solid pro at this level who'll do a good job. 7/10 most weeks, but if he's in one of his bad phases then you're as well being a man down as his head goes and he's a total liability. 

Still he's pretty tall and can throw the ball a really long way! 

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shaughnessy signs for St. Mirren....good signing lads?

Overall good. Like others have said don't expect a top quality player in possession but does the defence stuff well. "Good old fashioned centre half" is probably the best way to describe him. Not aggressive but determined and will put his body on the line for the team. Seems like a "good pro" and a really nice guy if that matters to you as well. 

Played right back for us occasionally - not his strength but will run up and down the wing and give it a go. 

Only time he let us down a bit was his January onwards form the last season with us where he was having a bit of a nightmare and that period has probably soured his time at Saints to some fans as it seemed his representative was being quite difficult and trying to play Aberdeen and Saints off against each other and just asking for stupid amounts of money, potentially because his rep was his father and could see the money his brother is getting at Leeds United. 

No hard feelings for Shaughnessy giving it a go, we all undoubtedly would for the % increase in his wage even if it did mean living in Essex for a year, should have stayed in glorious #Perthshire but oh well, Paisleys like a cultural melting pot of the two at least. 

Great signing for St Mirren though, would happily have had him back at Mcdiarmid, near 146 games in 4 seasons tells it all, good consistent player who stayed fit and injury free and now that bit more experienced from his time down south. Saints are maybe fortunate in having both Gordon and Kerr in that position (and big man Wallace 'Fuckin' Duffy waiting to sprout his wings) but you can't but help have a little chuckle at another decent player dropping off the conveyor belt of lower league English football. 

No hard feelings for Shaughnessy giving it a go, we all undoubtedly would for the % increase in his wage even if it did mean living in Essex for a year, should have stayed in glorious #Perthshire but oh well, Paisleys like a cultural melting pot of the two at least. 
Great signing for St Mirren though, would happily have had him back at Mcdiarmid, near 146 games in 4 seasons tells it all, good consistent player who stayed fit and injury free and now that bit more experienced from his time down south. Saints are maybe fortunate in having both Gordon and Kerr in that position (and big man Wallace 'Fuckin' Duffy waiting to sprout his wings) but you can't but help have a little chuckle at another decent player dropping off the conveyor belt of lower league English football. 
You forgot McCart.

Real statement of intent from St Mirren, who were prepared to meet his wage demands. He's earning more in Paisley than St Johnstone have ever paid a player.
Must be really going for it this season.
Gonna be top six according to Tony Fitz.

#NumberWatch - Looks like MOH has moved to number 11.

Means #17 is free. Robertson had it in the friendly v Hibs, and May still using #14 training gear.

Also, the old boy who seemed to know we were starting away to United about 2 months ago has informed me that Olaofe is a "unit", who looks like he could "cause absolute chaos" if we just pap him up front and let him go nuts. Won't be much link up play but if he gets a head of steam up then he's unlikely to be stopped.

Edited by RandomGuy.