Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Also bear in mind how desperately short in defence we were for the first couple of months.  By the 'end' of the season in March, Butcher and Hendry were fairly regular starters.

If we managed to sign Conway and Butcher or an equivalent,, do folk think that's enough, or still more players required?

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Also bear in mind how desperately short in defence we were for the first couple of months.  By the 'end' of the season in March, Butcher and Hendry were fairly regular starters.

If we managed to sign Conway and Butcher or an equivalent,, do folk think that's enough, or still more players required?

Not convinced about Conway but happy if manager sees he's still up to it in training and friendlies but to answer your question, I'd be happy with a wide player & central midfielder like Butcher being brought in.

I think the reality is 2 more signings max is all that is going to be available budget wise. Particularly with the unknowns about money through the gate still.

27 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’d be happy with those two or equivalent. The minimum we need is a centre midfield 

From everything I’ve read and seen it seems Conway has a contract to lose. If we only get one more signing I would be delighted with Butcher.  I thought he was very good in a limited amount of games.  He would be a great signing if we could get him for a full season. 

3 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I’d be happy with those two or equivalent. The minimum we need is a centre midfield 

That's pretty much my thinking as well.

As delighted as I would be if it happened, I'm not sure we're going to see a Scougall or Swanson/Wright/Kennedy/Watt or May type signing this  summer.

24 minutes ago, Costanza said:

We need a goalkeeper in my opinion but obviously that’s not going to happen.....

This is the elephant in the room. I'll give him a fresh chance this season but his performances will need to be a lot better. 

If we can get Butcher back, I'd be happy enough with central midfield. We've been better covered in the past but hopefully we don't get too many injuries at once. 

Out wide I'm not sure though. It'd essentially be Conway replacing Kennedy, Wright and Swanson. At his age, I think we are weaker there and relying on O'Halloran picking up. 

As delighted as I would be if it happened, I'm not sure we're going to see a Scougall or Swanson/Wright/Kennedy/Watt or May type signing this  summer.
Be delighted if we never have a Scougall type signing ever again tbh. Biggest anti climax signing of the last ten seasons for me, just a total let-down.

36 minutes ago, Radford said:

This is the elephant in the room. I'll give him a fresh chance this season but his performances will need to be a lot better. 

If we can get Butcher back, I'd be happy enough with central midfield. We've been better covered in the past but hopefully we don't get too many injuries at once. 

Out wide I'm not sure though. It'd essentially be Conway replacing Kennedy, Wright and Swanson. At his age, I think we are weaker there and relying on O'Halloran picking up. 

Suppose it depends on CD's preferred formation as well. If we're going 3 at the back, which I feel is probably making best use of our squad as none of Kerr, Gordon or McCart deserve to be starting on the bench, then the width would come from the wing backs where we now have a couple of options on either side. Would we really need many more wide options in that case?

Unless it's 3 up front of course, which has been mentioned, where Hendry central with May left and MOH right sounds decent. Cover provided from Kane, Robertson, Conway and Tanto give us numbers, but a lot of unknowns and unprovens in there.  

Perspnally id prefer the 2 forwards with 3 in central midfield, where we have McCann, Craig, Davidson and Wotherspoon for 2-3 places, hopefully + one new signing (Butcher).

22 minutes ago, The Marly said:
49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Be delighted if we never have a Scougall type signing ever again tbh. Biggest anti climax signing of the last ten seasons for me, just a total let-down.

It was more the ambition/ reputation/ cost of the signings I was meaning, rather than any specific individuals,

It was more the ambition/ reputation/ cost of the signings I was meaning, rather than any specific individuals,
Aye, I know. The mention of Scougall gives me shudders though. Plus a wee dig at the wee dug usually provokes RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Unless it's 3 up front of course

Thats the interesting thing.

ELEVEN1595003520918.thumb.png.c9ec7ea56f120489939d94339bdcb824.png

Leaves your thinking you need a CB and Winger :lol:

Can't be easy to build a balanced squad.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Good enough player but too small and never dictated any game I saw him play.

As back up or first choice?

First choice. Like Radford I’ll give him another chance (no option but to really) but he was very poor last season. He’s not a young lad any more and personally don’t think he’s near the level of Mannus.