Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

36 minutes ago, Sconesaint said:

I’ll give him a season rating of 7/10. Thoughts? 

Generous. 5.5

We were fairly spoilt at right back for a few years so always going to be a hard position for a new face to fill.  Agree, hopefully Rooney brings more.

I have a wee feeling based on nothing but his training ground interview and the fact that we brought him in for a position we didn't really need, that Danny Mac is going to make an impact.

Saaf landan booiiiii with Irish roots, he's going to set his stall aat earlydoors. Could see him putting studs down the back of Scott Brown and then squaring up "you want sum you kaaant"  in the ensuing melee.

Innit.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Generous. 5.5

We were fairly spoilt at right back for a few years so always going to be a hard position for a new face to fill.  Agree, hopefully Rooney brings more.

I have a wee feeling based on nothing but his training ground interview and the fact that we brought him in for a position we didn't really need, that Danny Mac is going to make an impact.

Saaf landan booiiiii with Irish roots, he's going to set his stall aat earlydoors. Could see him putting studs down the back of Scott Brown and then squaring up "you want sum you kaaant"  in the ensuing melee.

Innit.

He seems highly rated by the Millwall fans anyway.

Wonder if we'll end up with a similar situation to LB. Rooney will be far better than McNamara going forward, so a better option as a wing back, but McNamara will be a more well rounded player so gets the nod in a back four.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He seems highly rated by the Millwall fans anyway.

Wonder if we'll end up with a similar situation to LB. Rooney will be far better than McNamara going forward, so a better option as a wing back, but McNamara will be a more well rounded player so gets the nod in a back four.

That could be the case. 

On the very limited viewings of Rooney I had last season (2-3 matches), I think similar to yourself i felt he looked like he had loads of energy, was a powerful runner and could get you up the park, but he didn't look as good defensively.  From what I saw, a clever awkward wide player along the lines of Forrest, Kennedy, Kent etc could pose him a lot of problems.

Hopefully proved wrong though..

Sounds like we’re getting another new signing soon.  Judging by Davidson’s comments, it’s one in addition to Conway. You have to imagine it’ll be a central midfielder. 

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Sounds like we’re getting another new signing soon.  Judging by Davidson’s comments, it’s one in addition to Conway. You have to imagine it’ll be a central midfielder. 

Aye seen that last night.

By the sounds of it Robertson is impressing him as a central striker. Be quite happy with a youngster as 4th choice there tbh.

If the guesses are correct about how he might set up sometimes, Robertson fits the criteria for the "inside left" striker position that Millwall used (Centre forward who is comfortable drifting onto a wing then cutting in).

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

The thing is, there has to be another two at least. 

It'd be Sandy Clark levels of idiocy not to replace Kennedy/Wright/Swanson or Butcher/Holt.

That was fhe downfall of Clark. I always remember the summer we lost Gary Bollan (who had been first pick for 3 seasons) and he didn't sign a left back. Our only option was Ross Forsyth, who was 18 and had 9 starts behind him. No idea why we were relegated. 

Drey Wright - 

Danny Swanson - 

Matt Butcher - 

Jason Holt -

Anthony Ralston replaced by Shaun Rooney

Add in the guys that have left who contributed absolutely nothing to the squad last season; including Anderson, McMillan, Callachan, Johnstone, Jones.

I think we're another 3 away based on the above. Even if you've got Ballantyne, Robertson and Hamilton down to add something to the squad, you're going to need another couple of senior guys. I guess Olaofe could be seen as a replacement for Swanson given how little he actually played last season, but realistically you're looking at him more as a replacement for Jones I'd say. 

29 minutes ago, Widge said:

Drey Wright - 

Danny Swanson - 

Matt Butcher - 

Jason Holt -

Anthony Ralston replaced by Shaun Rooney

Add in the guys that have left who contributed absolutely nothing to the squad last season; including Anderson, McMillan, Callachan, Johnstone, Jones.

I think we're another 3 away based on the above. Even if you've got Ballantyne, Robertson and Hamilton down to add something to the squad, you're going to need another couple of senior guys. I guess Olaofe could be seen as a replacement for Swanson given how little he actually played last season, but realistically you're looking at him more as a replacement for Jones I'd say. 

Could you not sub Davidson in for Butcher?

Butcher only came in after Davidsons injury.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Holts position was made practically redundant because of McCann. TW would probably not have brought him in if he knew Ali would have the season he did.

Edited by tree house tam

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No I don't think you can. I don't think Davidson and Butcher are comparable. Either way you've also lost Jason Holt who you need to replace, so I'd say Butcher coming back would make perfect sense. However until he knows where Bournemouth are going to be playing there's not a chance he's moving. Plus Callum won't know about him.

Goalkeepers - Clark, Parish, Sinclair

Defenders - Rooney, McNamara, Duffy, Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Booth, Tanser

Midfielders - McCann, Craig, Davidson, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran, Ballanyne, Hamilton

Forwards - Kane, May, Hendry, Olaofe, Robertson

Looking at that, we're at least 1 if not 2 midfielders down. I think we're alright at the back, another body wouldn't be a bad thing, but the middle of the park is where we need bolstering. Whether thats another winger and a central player, or two central players I don't know. You've actually got enough experience in the midfield that it doesn't need to be someone who's played a lot of games, rather someone who can add something. I wouldn't be against adding another couple of senior players to the squad though, as that influence has always been key to saints dressing room success. As it stands int that squad of 23, we have 9 players over the age of 25 and 2 of them are goalkeepers!

I'd say Butcher coming back would make perfect sense. However until he knows where Bournemouth are going to be playing there's not a chance he's moving. Plus Callum won't know about him.

Callum co-commentated a number of matches on Saints TV last season (when Millwall weren’t playing at the same time), so I’m sure he’s aware of Butcher.

Holt, McCann and Butcher all started in our last match so we do seem short in that area.  Butcher coming back until January would be ideal, and possibly complete the signings.

Im not concerned at our starting line up, it's certainly good enough if everyone performs as they did after the winter break last season, but the concern is injuries. When you look at players dropping all the time down south, considering the long lay off there's bound to be a fair few niggles.  If you take out 2 or 3 key players, or McCann catches the eye of a team down south in August and gets bought, then we start to look a lot weaker.

Worth considering that this probably isn't the time to push the boat out. Even if we came flying out the blocks and were top of the league, there's not going to be any extra income from increased crowds or anything.  It might well be that the aim this season is just to consolidate and ensure we're mid table and away from any danger, with the minimum outlay possible..  Sounds dull, and hopefully not the case, but understandable.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What do we do this season when he gets injured again?

I love Muzz and he recovers like a machine but the way he plays he's always going to take a knock.

Are we maybe 1 short in there? Particularly if we want to play 4-5-1 type shape away from home? Spoony could play there if required but (IMO) much better off the left. 

I think we're short in midfield generally - we've effectively lost 4 players who'd all expect to be in the squad + Ross Callachan and Izzy Jones. We can probably get away with signing 1 for each position and hope that we don't have an injury crisis but they need to be in the Butcher/Holt/Wright/Swanson bracket and not in the other.

Screenshot_20200717-120943_Chrome.thumb.jpg.141747aa3b497f1e64b4f5ac6036d959.jpg

Last seasons squad was too big (copyright Steve Brown) tbh, so I've no problem with them replacing folk who never played many minutes last season (Callachan, Swanson) with younger players. Having senior players there just deflects money away from the first team and affects the players you can get.

Only players from last season we lost and need to replace in terms of minutes are Ralston, Wright, Kennedy and Holt, IMO.

Ralston obviously replaced.

So, I think, we only need 2/3 players to come in and we'll be about right in terms of numbers. A CM who offers something going forward, and a wide option who offers something different (ideally a left footed winger) would be fine for me. No idea if Ross Wallace is still any good?

It's outrageous that Wallace Duffy played almost 3 full games more than Callum Hendry last season, yet Hendry was arguably our second or third best players!

Just now, Widge said:

It's outrageous that Wallace Duffy played almost 3 full games more than Callum Hendry last season, yet Hendry was arguably our second or third best players!

Tbf thats just league games, don't know if Hendry played more in the cups to bump him closer.