Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Northern Ireland are away to hand Ali McCann a cap for the main squad if papers are to be believed.

Steve Clarke’s too busy trying to figure out how to name his entire Kilmarnock in the squad to know who he is or that he qualifies for the Scotland side.

Do you really believe that? Ali MaCann and his brother before him probably have been brought up supporting NI football team, they want to play for NI football team, don't think Steve Clarke  , Gordon Strachan. Alex Ferguson. and Big Malky MacKay could change his mind.  that's what i believe anyway.

Northern Ireland are away to hand Ali McCann a cap for the main squad if papers are to be believed.

Steve Clarke’s too busy trying to figure out how to name his entire Kilmarnock in the squad to know who he is or that he qualifies for the Scotland side.

Which one of the midfielders in the Scotland squad do you reckon should be dropped to make way for him? John McGinn? Callum McGregor? Stuart Armstrong? Scott McTominay?

I've more issue with him consistently being ignored for the U21 side tbh.

Being left out the last squad for Ewan Henderson was incredible stuff.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Which one of the midfielders in the Scotland squad do you reckon should be dropped to make way for him? John McGinn? Callum McGregor? Stuart Armstrong? Scott McTominay?

That's not the argument. You wouldn't be picking him because he's better than other options at the moment. You'd be picking him to lock him in for the future.

It's what Northern Ireland will be doing.

4 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

That's not the argument. You wouldn't be picking him because he's better than other options at the moment. You'd be picking him to lock him in for the future.

It's what Northern Ireland will be doing.

I think that's a slippery slope to be going down. Players need to be in the Scotland squad on merit, not because they happen to be eligible to play for another country. Northern Ireland are picking him right now because he's good enough to get into their midfield alongside other Championship and Scottish Premiership players.

There's an argument that McCann should have been included in Scotland youth squads, but that has nothing to do with Steve Clarke given that he's been involved with Northern Ireland ever since Clarke took over. It seems like his mind is made up now anyway, which is a shame.

Ali McCann should definitely not be playing in the Scottish international first team. He's a great player and I'm a  big fan but he isn't there yet. Should he have Scotland u21 and u18 caps? Definitely. When you witnessed flap Jack getting youth caps before Zander, which was criminal imo, then you know that the international youth coaches are clearly not doing their jobs properly but let's not lose any sleep over it and just enjoy him playing for St Johnstone. 

28 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Ali McCann should definitely not be playing in the Scottish international first team. He's a great player and I'm a  big fan but he isn't there yet. Should he have Scotland u21 and u18 caps? Definitely. When you witnessed flap Jack getting youth caps before Zander, which was criminal imo, then you know that the international youth coaches are clearly not doing their jobs properly but let's not lose any sleep over it and just enjoy him playing for St Johnstone. 

Exactly this. In terms of McCann developing as a player and lets be honest we're all thinking about him making saints the most cash when we sell him, full international caps at 20 years of age for NI is clearly going to be better than a few under 21 caps for Scotland. 

Does he have the potential to play for Scotland, if he keeps developing absolutely. However he isn't going to get a game any time soon, so why not go and play in international games for Ireland, where he could arguably be in their midfield for years to come. Better to win 50 caps for a nation than 5.

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Ali McCann should definitely not be playing in the Scottish international first team. 

I agree - I was just pointing out that the reason for selecting him wouldn't be based on current ability.

That ship has sailed anyway. Scotland - as so often the case - way too slow to act.

27 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Excellent news that we're still a stodgy, boring, shitfesting side.

On a more serious note  would be interesting to see the team lines.