Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'd agree with this. The only concern for me is the cover in the wing back positions if Davidson does go with his 5-2-3 formation. It's at this point I wish Drey Wright was still around as I liked the look of him in that role - was always a willing running, was defence defensively and he always managed to pin the full backs in their own half. If only Richard Foster hadn't burned his bridges quite so spectacularly as he's probably the kind of player who'd be a decent back up on both sides. 

It'll be interesting to see who Davidson targets. He'll have watched a lot of English football so I would expect him to be more inclined than Wright would have been to use that market.

I agree though - we need at least one winger and a midfielder. If the Jamie Reid rumour is true, another attacker might be on the cards too even if we don't get him.

Completely agree about Drey, I was a bit more disappointed than most on here seemed to be that he didn't re-sign. I get the point about his lack of assists and goals, but his pace and energy were brilliant for a wide midfielder, or wing back as you say.  He worked back well defensively too.  It's as much the fact that it's a position we now have to fill with an unknown when we knew he would do a job.  Still, his choice I guess.

24 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Any of these blow us out the water

F35CD972-3BEC-4726-8869-BB0279BF1A89.png

When do their seasons re-start?  His contract at Torquay has expired and he refused a new one, so presumably he's no longer eligible for furlough payments.

Possibly clutching at straws, but there may be one or two decent English lower league players keen to get earning a wage and playing again sooner rather than later that we can snap up.

It may be that the lower leagues down south have already announced an August start date as well and I've missed it, but I couldn't find anything about it..

30 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Any of these blow us out the water

Yeah probably find it's old news and we simply had an enquiry to see his thoughts.

Always exciting to get some form of rumour though.

Tommy Wright would be a disaster. He suited St Johnstone and their team of sluggers, but would be terrible anywhere else

[emoji28][emoji28]
The above was tweet from a deluded United fan. Neil Sargent. His grasp of football is worse than my grasp of technology [emoji28][emoji28]

Have to say I've been fairly amused by the reaction of a fair few Utd fans.  Kidding themselves that Tommy Wright wouldn't be about the best appointment a club like that could dream of.  Just look at the list of abject figures they've had over the past 30 years.

It does seem as though a lot of their support are still stuck in the 1980's.

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Have to say I've been fairly amused by the reaction of a fair few Utd fans.  Kidding themselves that Tommy Wright wouldn't be about the best appointment a club like that could dream of.  Just look at the list of abject figures they've had over the past 30 years.

It does seem as though a lot of their support are still stuck in the 1980's.

Theres couple of them who seem to have noticed he's getting interviewed for the NI job and have decided it's just an act to try and increase the wages he'll be on at United.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres couple of them who seem to have noticed he's getting interviewed for the NI job and have decided it's just an act to try and increase the wages he'll be on at United.

TBF Utd have been used by Tommy themselves for that very purpose a few years ago!

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

TBF Utd have been used by Tommy themselves for that very purpose a few years ago!

Half wonder if hes at it again :lol:

The hope is Schools can go back in Scotland from 11th Aug without the requirement to social distance as long as the virus continues as it currently is in Scotland. 

Hopefully means there's hope for us getting bums on seats at games around then as well!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Glad we've got someone to work with the forwards at the club as have long felt that was an issue with the coaching structure.  Whilst the manager having a grasp on the club is a bonus, it's not really a requirement for a coach, so simply hope MacLean is the best man for the job. 

Change of title for Cleland interesting I suppose and he's back to working with the 18s. Thought they might have asked Liam Craig to step in there, although I suppose he still might be involved. Not sure what the likelihood of the younger teams having fixtures any time soon is. 

Don't know enough about Alan Maybury to comment on his departure but important that the manager feels he has the right people around him. I'm sure with the experience he's picked up at Saints, on top of his time elsewhere, he'll find something else. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Don't know enough about Alan Maybury to comment on his departure but important that the manager feels he has the right people around him. I'm sure with the experience he's picked up at Saints, on top of his time elsewhere, he'll find something else. 

Plenty parents have voiced concerns about his style of management and how he speaks to their boys. There were a few, most notably J on WAP, that were adamant he would be punted soon enough and it would be to Saints benefit, all of their sons have now left Saints. 

Edited by tree house tam

Am I allowed to say, with the caveat the tone of this post is inevitably going to make it seem like I'm saying something I'm not, that it's quite nice to be moving away from TW?

I dont mean I'm glad hes gone, or that I prefer what we have to what he gave us, just that its nice to have the refreshing feeling of having the excitement of trying to work out how everything is going to work and what effect the new manager and coaching set up will have.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

In other news, some random Torquay fan is claiming we've signed Jamie Reid.

25yo striker/winger who scored 18 in 32 games in the Conference last season, and scored 32 goals the season before in the English 6th tier.

Linked with Huddersfield Town in January. 

As I say, boy saying it is just a random Torquay fan, but their manager is quoted as saying he turned down a new contract there to "take a bit of a risk".

Gone to Mansfield

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Am I allowed to say, with the caveat the tone of this post is inevitably going to make it seem like I'm saying something I'm not, that it's quite nice to be moving away from TW?

I dont mean I'm glad hes gone, or that I prefer what we have to what he gave us, just that its nice to have the refreshing feeling of having the excitement of trying to work out how everything is going to work and what effect the new manager and coaching set up will have.

Breaks my heart to say this..But I agree with you100%.This is starting to feel like a freshen up..And a big thumbs up to the much maligned Steve Brown

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee