Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I'm not itk at all but... It seems there's a very good chance he will though. We all know the public reasons he gave were nonsense. He could no longer work with Brown and his minion. 

Although he may not want to work under sporting director type setup either at United?

I'm not getting involved with that conspiracy pish, tbh. 

United fans reckon Neilson only got to make half the signings there, and players like Harkes were brought in without his input. No chance TW goes for that.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You ITK enough to know if theres a chance TW goes to United?

Baraclough is, according to NI papers, the heavy favourite, although the papers also say nobody will be hired until August.

Two months ago I would've said no. Still think it's a no but i have a wee nagging doubt, that's just me though, could just be dread. Why would he ruin his spell here for United? Because make no bones about it, it would ruin it.  Absolutely ruin it, I'd never forgive the c**t. Tommy doesn't need the hassle or even the cash. If I was him I'd be having a season out and just see how close he is to the international job.

I've money on them both getting the NI job. Knowing my luck with gambling it'll be Healy.

Edited by tree house tam

26 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Someone should tell that to the bookies then. Never put much notice on next manager odds as they’re notoriously almost always wrong, but Tommy Wright is currently 10/11 favourite, with Baraclough 6/4 second favourite. 

Really hope he gets the Northern Ireland job, as he more than deserves it. 

Just the "Belfast Live" paper that says Baraclough is preferred due his work with the U21 side, as they believe theyll be integrating a lot of them into the side over the next few years.

As always, you've never much idea how much of that is fact and how much is the journalists opinion. 

20 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Nightmare scenario, Tommy at Tannadice and raids us for players.

They couldn't afford to buy our better players, as long as we're proactive on the contract front we'd be fine.

And anyway, if anyone actually wouldn't mind prancing about a football pitch wearing orange they shouldn't be welcome at Saints, they're definitely for the watching. 

6 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

20200623_001841.jpg

If you read the article it's not even close to the headline.

An opinion piece from a journalist who admits TW is unlikely to work under their current structure.

In other news, some random Torquay fan is claiming we've signed Jamie Reid.

25yo striker/winger who scored 18 in 32 games in the Conference last season, and scored 32 goals the season before in the English 6th tier.

Linked with Huddersfield Town in January. 

As I say, boy saying it is just a random Torquay fan, but their manager is quoted as saying he turned down a new contract there to "take a bit of a risk".

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

An opinion piece from a journalist who admits TW is unlikely to work under their current structure.

Tommy could, I suppose, be making sure he isn't directly quoted.

Strikes me as odd, though, that he'd demand a more 'hands-on' role with transfers when he used to complain about having to do everything himself at Saints.

(That said, the structure will be very different to what he had at Saints. I'm not sure it would suit him.)

9 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Tommy could, I suppose, be making sure he isn't directly quoted.

Strikes me as odd, though, that he'd demand a more 'hands-on' role with transfers when he used to complain about having to do everything himself at Saints.

(That said, the structure will be very different to what he had at Saints. I'm not sure it would suit him.)

There's a difference in being able to chose and sign your own targets, rather than simply handing a list which could be ignored and having players you've never seen or wanted brought to the club by someone else. United seem to have someone in charge of this, can't imagine Neilson had anything to do with the random foreigners and Americans which pitched up. Wright would want players who'd fit his squad and style and having guys given 2/3 year deals who he can't work with wouldn't be wanted. United aren't going to change the way they're run, so to me this is a total non-starter.

I hope he gets the Northern Ireland gig, I really do since it's the job he wants and deserves. If N.I were clever they'd give Wright the gig and have Baraclough as assistant to eventually take over, since lets face it Wright isn't getting younger and isn't likely going to take another club after an international job, except maybe in N.I.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

25yo striker/winger who scored 18 in 32 games in the Conference last season, and scored 32 goals the season before in the English 6th tier.

As I say, boy saying it is just a random Torquay fan, but their manager is quoted as saying he turned down a new contract there to "take a bit of a risk".

I'd say he's a Motherwell signing if ever I see one!

Based on that, he looks a decent player, pretty quick, can take a man on and most of his finishes seem pretty predatory and instinctual. However they're most all from playing up front, I appreciate that having someone who's capable of playing striker/both sides winger is undoubtedly a bonus, how he is out wide might be a bit of a risk. I wonder if this deal has been in the offing for a while, Northern Irish who's turned down a new deal way back in may, screams of a Tommy Wright signing looking at it from the outside. 

Either way he's the sort of target we should be looking for, guys about to hit their prime, eager to make the step up and have potential sell on back down south, as they're already a known or scouted entity. I'd much rather that than bringing in a guy from another Scottish club who's done the rounds, etc.  

I'd say he's a Motherwell signing if ever I see one!
Based on that, he looks a decent player, pretty quick, can take a man on and most of his finishes seem pretty predatory and instinctual. However they're most all from playing up front, I appreciate that having someone who's capable of playing striker/both sides winger is undoubtedly a bonus, how he is out wide might be a bit of a risk. I wonder if this deal has been in the offing for a while, Northern Irish who's turned down a new deal way back in may, screams of a Tommy Wright signing looking at it from the outside. 
Either way he's the sort of target we should be looking for, guys about to hit their prime, eager to make the step up and have potential sell on back down south, as they're already a known or scouted entity. I'd much rather that than bringing in a guy from another Scottish club who's done the rounds, etc.  
Instictual is a great word@Widge. Brilliant [emoji28]

On 21/06/2020 at 16:50, PauloPerth said:

GK - Clark, Parish, Sinclair

RB - Rooney, Duffy

LB - Booth, Tanser

CB - Kerr, Gordon, McCart. Duffy or Booth to cover in an emergency

wide players - O'Halloran, Wotherspoon

Centre mid - McCann, Davidson, Craig. (Wotherspoon)

Strikers - Hendry, May, Kane

Edit - I guess MOH could also be listed an option as a striker

3 good quality signings in midfield/ wide/ forward areas. You see how light we are as a squad when you look at the number and quality of midfield/ forward players we've lost in the past 5-6 months; Kennedy, Wright, Swanson, Holt, Butcher, Jones, with no new additions in those areas, although obviously Swanson and Jones were only really options from the bench.   That's not mentioning Callaghan and McMillan who had already dropped out of the picture.

Of those, Holt, Butcher and Wright started the last game against Livingston.  

The massive positive is the quality of our defence.  No signings at all needed there, and I think it should give us a solid platform to get results from, unlike the chaos we started last season with.

Our signings will tell us a lot about whether the club want to do just enough to stay up and keep costs to a minimum as income will be greatly reduced, understandably, or see the opportunity to push for a top six/ European place finish by taking advantage of less financially stable clubs having to make big cutbacks..

I'd agree with this. The only concern for me is the cover in the wing back positions if Davidson does go with his 5-2-3 formation. It's at this point I wish Drey Wright was still around as I liked the look of him in that role - was always a willing running, was decent defensively and he always managed to pin the full backs in their own half. If only Richard Foster hadn't burned his bridges quite so spectacularly as he's probably the kind of player who'd be a decent back up on both sides. 

It'll be interesting to see who Davidson targets. He'll have watched a lot of English football so I would expect him to be more inclined than Wright would have been to use that market.

I agree though - we need at least one winger and a midfielder. If the Jamie Reid rumour is true, another attacker might be on the cards too even if we don't get him.

Edited by Kyle

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any of these blow us out the water

F35CD972-3BEC-4726-8869-BB0279BF1A89.png