Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Been a lot more stuff appearing on YouTube over lockdown, with folk obviously getting round to ripping old VHS tapes etc... 

Pretty much every game between 1992/93 and 2005/06 had TV highlights, although they were less frequent between 1994 and 1997 as Scotsport only showed 2 or 3 of the First Division fixtures every week.

Going back to what Davidson said yesterday about formations, we can joke/argue about what each one means but the reality is they all revolve around the same basics, two or three centre backs and one or two centre forwards. 

I think we were pretty flexible latterly under TW and as such, you'd imagine any signings should be looking to replace what we've lost. 

That's someone to come in for Butcher/Holt and one or two to replace Wright and Kennedy. I don't think you can bank on any of the youngsters giving you a dozen games, although that's obviously the aim/hope for them. Not bringing in a striker means their pathway isn't blocked, especially if you only bring in one wide player too. 

I also don't think we can carry four centre backs and just need to accept that we'll have to maybe stick with a back four if someone is out injured. You can probably get away with Booth there against weaker opponents at home but it's nothing you'd build a strategy around. 

The positive about midfield signings is I think we are alright for experience in there, so age shouldn't really be a factor is assessing targets. 

Anyone feel we need much other than another central midfielder and wide player?

Going back to what Davidson said yesterday about formations, we can joke/argue about what each one means but the reality is they all revolve around the same basics, two or three centre backs and one or two centre forwards. 
I think we were pretty flexible latterly under TW and as such, you'd imagine any signings should be looking to replace what we've lost. 
That's someone to come in for Butcher/Holt and one or two to replace Wright and Kennedy. I don't think you can bank on any of the youngsters giving you a dozen games, although that's obviously the aim/hope for them. Not bringing in a striker means their pathway isn't blocked, especially if you only bring in one wide player too. 
I also don't think we can carry four centre backs and just need to accept that we'll have to maybe stick with a back four if someone is out injured. You can probably get away with Booth there against weaker opponents at home but it's nothing you'd build a strategy around. 
The positive about midfield signings is I think we are alright for experience in there, so age shouldn't really be a factor is assessing targets. 
Anyone feel we need much other than another central midfielder and wide player?
If we're going to play two up I think running with just three strikers doesn't give much options or cover. Get the argument that leaves a chance for Hamilton or someone but much rather they went out on loan (if an option). Suppose if Maclean registers it allievates that a little.

Otherwise a centre midfielder and a winger are the priorities. Would be ideal if the winger can play centrally or upfront as well.

GK - Clark, Parish, Sinclair

RB - Rooney, Duffy

LB - Booth, Tanser

CB - Kerr, Gordon, McCart. Duffy or Booth to cover in an emergency

wide players - O'Halloran, Wotherspoon

Centre mid - McCann, Davidson, Craig. (Wotherspoon)

Strikers - Hendry, May, Kane

Edit - I guess MOH could also be listed an option as a striker

3 good quality signings in midfield/ wide/ forward areas. You see how light we are as a squad when you look at the number and quality of midfield/ forward players we've lost in the past 5-6 months; Kennedy, Wright, Swanson, Holt, Butcher, Jones, with no new additions in those areas, although obviously Swanson and Jones were only really options from the bench.   That's not mentioning Callaghan and McMillan who had already dropped out of the picture.

Of those, Holt, Butcher and Wright started the last game against Livingston.  

The massive positive is the quality of our defence.  No signings at all needed there, and I think it should give us a solid platform to get results from, unlike the chaos we started last season with.

Our signings will tell us a lot about whether the club want to do just enough to stay up and keep costs to a minimum as income will be greatly reduced, understandably, or see the opportunity to push for a top six/ European place finish by taking advantage of less financially stable clubs having to make big cutbacks..

Edited by PauloPerth

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You see how light we are as a squad when you look at the number and quality of midfield/forward players we've lost in the past 5-6 months. 

In normal times you'd be sure there would be budget available as it's pretty much been high earners out, lower earners in for the past 18 months. 

With Rooney, we only have 15 outfield players with any sort of experience. 

It'd be interesting to know where the wage bill now stands compared to where it was at it's highest under Wright. 

I think some would be surprised just how much the new contracts for Kerr, Gordon, Clark, Hendry and McCann have upped the wage bill.  Totally deserved imo. 

They have, as they do most seasons, overlapped costs. What I mean is they've knew who was leaving and with that in view have upped the contracts to keep people and it comes out the next years budget. This has happened all through Tommy's time.

Agree Tam that these lads all deserved their deals, not just from a football perspective but also as an investment in the hope that one  or two make us some money over the next couple of seasons.

However;  Anderson, McMillan, Swanson, Kennedy, Wright and Callachan, and whatever we were paying in wages for Ralston, Butcher, Holt and Jones, and having to pay off big Maddis Vihmann.   Possibly a third choice keeper as well??

All those leaving must add upto quite a reduction in costs. 

Theres never going to be a good time for this lockdown obviously, but if this had been one year ago, we would surely have been in far worse shape financially going into a new season.

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I think some would be surprised just how much the new contracts for Kerr, Gordon, Clark, Hendry and McCann have upped the wage bill.  Totally deserved imo. 

They have, as they do most seasons, overlapped costs. What I mean is they've knew who was leaving and with that in view have upped the contracts to keep people and it comes out the next years budget. This has happened all through Tommy's time.

ITK

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

On this I am tbh. Straight from the horses mouth as they say.

You ITK enough to know if theres a chance TW goes to United?

Baraclough is, according to NI papers, the heavy favourite, although the papers also say nobody will be hired until August.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You ITK enough to know if theres a chance TW goes to United?

Baraclough is, according to NI papers, the heavy favourite, although the papers also say nobody will be hired until August.

I'm not itk at all but... It seems there's a very good chance he will though. We all know the public reasons he gave were nonsense. He could no longer work with Brown and his minion. 

Although he may not want to work under sporting director type setup either at United?