Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Thinking more about the Macca move it makes even more sense. 

While Callum no doubt knows his stuff football wise he doesn't strike me as a natural motivator etc. Certainly not in comparison to Macca anyway. 

That has always been my one qualm in regards to Callum. Purely from listening to interviews, I’ve occasionally wondered whether he’d have the character to be a successful manager. He seems a good guy, but he clearly lacks the character, gravitas and arguably the charisma which someone like Tommy Wright possesses. Is this a major issue? Maybe not. Only time will tell. But all current signs point towards him commanding respect from this squad of players.

No real surprises in Davidson's first interview. He wants to keep things roughly as they are but add in a few of his own 'touches', he wants to continue developing the young players we have and he wants to add a couple more to the current squad. You'd have to assume at least one of those would be a wide player and maybe another midfielder.

No word on Macca yet but pretty much every reliable journalist covering Saints has said he's coming in as a coach. I hope they keep up his player registration as he's probably still got something to offer in an emergency, but he's perfect to help develop the strikers already at the club. They've all worked with him before and either share similar strengths or have complimented him well in the past.

Edited by Kyle

An extremely well-respected coach and a club icon if I'm not mistaken. Got a mind to stick a few bob on St Johnstone finishing 3rd next season. 

I’ll hunt you down if we finish any lower.

Envious of the saints fans who were there when Davidson was first coming through, 1994 he started at St Johnstone, 98 he was sold and still stands as our record transfer. Can't imagine how good a player he must have been to earn a place in a Premiership team playing as a full back for St Johnstone

13 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Envious of the saints fans who were there when Davidson was first coming through, 1994 he started at St Johnstone, 98 he was sold and still stands as our record transfer. Can't imagine how good a player he must have been to earn a place in a Premiership team playing as a full back for St Johnstone

Can See the conversation with SB , Steve see that near £2,000,000 i got you back in 1998, gon'a  gees some of it to spend now! 

33 minutes ago, Doctor said:

St Johnstone were a better side then than St Johnstone are now imo. We had several stars and Callum was just one small part of that side.

35 minutes ago, Doctor said:

He was as hard as f**k in a tackle is what I remember most.  Really confident and mature at a young age and very consistent.

Looking up the stats, he only played 43 matches in that first spell before joining Blackburn. For context, McCann has played 32 already.

If I'm honest, the young Saints player from that time I thought of as even more of a standout was Danny Griffin. He should have played at a far higher level than he ended up doing.

56 minutes ago, Doctor said:

If I remember correctly he was almost lost to golf. Someone might remember all the facts but something about a loan to Forfar sticks in my mind. 

Paul Sturrock i think it was that said when he  came to Saints he could not get the drawer in his desk to close properly when he took the drawer out he found Calums  file down the back! he decided to call him back from the loan to have a look at him, the rest is History! or something like that.  

I’m pleased with that appointment. He wasn’t my first choice, I like many, many other St. Johnstone fans would have been happy to see Neil Warnock come in - it’s a shame those plans didn’t come to fruition but nevertheless I’ll be backing Davidson 100%.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

He was as hard as f**k in a tackle is what I remember most.  Really confident and mature at a young age and very consistent.

Looking up the stats, he only played 43 matches in that first spell before joining Blackburn. For context, McCann has played 32 already.

If I'm honest, the young Saints player from that time I thought of as even more of a standout was Danny Griffin. He should have played at a far higher level than he ended up doing.

I agree Danny was a fantastic talent. I'm a bit disappointed with how his career panned out tbh. Feels like he kind of wasted what he had. I know he didn't,  he had a good career and he made the choices he did for his own reasons,  just feels to me that he could've went right to the top. Top bloke though and he's great with the kids.  Fun fact for you, he knew about young Ollie Hamilton when he was  about 10 playing for jeanfield, he used to come do a bit of coaching in his spare time.

19 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

All successful managers have at least half a brain. Davidson is as thick as f**k. A disastrous appointment without a shadow of a doubt.

Knows that we could have given Neil McCann the job and still be miles ahead of Dundee.

I don't think there is any doubt that Griffin was a better prospect than Davidson but equally, CD was training on his own a lot in his first few years at the club as he completed his degree. He really kicked on in the 18 months before he won his move. 

Griffin was captaining the club at 18/19 but whereas CD kicked on when he finished his studies, DG should have moved to Derby, I don't think he needed to stay at Saints any longer, which was obviously cited at the time. You look at that time and he turns down a £1 million move, then the Rams go out and sign Christian Dailly for significantly less money a few weeks later. A couple of years on and he's moving for over £5 million and everyone knows the career he had. 

It almost feels cruel bringing up DG knocking back that move, although I know he's said he has no regrets.