Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 hours ago, mizfit said:

Lots of hate for us from Hearts and Rangers fans on twitter just now. Threats of boycotting Mcdiarmid etc.

Hearts don’t need to worry about that to be honest.

I would happily buy a ticket on top of my season ticket if it meant we could avoid the bigots coming to McDiarmid.

Edited by Bose
I’m an illiterate half wit.

Lots of hate for us from Hearts and Rangers fans on twitter just now. Threats of boycotting Mcdiarmid etc.

Hearts don’t need to worry about that to be honest.

Best thing if Rangers did boycott us.

On 12/05/2020 at 03:57, RandomGuy. said:

I was born 9 months later.

I'm not saying the goal was that good, but clearly my dad enjoyed it.

I genuinely think I am the ball boy in that clip [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51].

What a weird start to the day!

Edited by Saigon Raider

Few players been released/told not being kept on, I heard last night. No shocks. Sure will hit the press over the next few days.... wonder who making the decisions ?

Tbf there’s only 4 players out of contract who you’d think based on appearances last season you’d offer a deal to (excluding Davidson from this). Wright, Booth, Kane and Craig are the only ones I’d hope were speaking with and even then I’m not that bothered if they do go.

Callachan, McMillan and Swanson are all dead certs to go, which is quite a big chunk of wages going out the door, plus the loan guys heading back to their clubs.

Leaves us needing a new right back, central midfielder, winger x2 and a striker for next season as a minimum I’d say.

12 minutes ago, Widge said:

Leaves us needing a new right back, central midfielder, winger x2 and a striker for next season as a minimum I’d say.

Rooney coming in maybe gets rid of the RB?

Depends entirely on what happens with the transfer window/new season, but a reduced squad probably means Duffy as CB/RB back up.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney coming in maybe gets rid of the RB?

Depends entirely on what happens with the transfer window/new season, but a reduced squad probably means Duffy as CB/RB back up.

I'll be honest I totally forgot about Rooney, but I'd still say we need another defender who can cover right back, unless of course Wright stays and he'd likely be your back up.

Do you think you'll appoint a new manager anytime soon? Bit of a weird position to be in where you want the new guy to be building and planning for the future (For example, a new manager might want to keep Swanson or one of the other out of contract players) but equally, with football still not looking to get off the ground in the foreseeable, it'd potentially be deemed an unnecessary expense.

Do you think you'll appoint a new manager anytime soon? Bit of a weird position to be in where you want the new guy to be building and planning for the future (For example, a new manager might want to keep Swanson or one of the other out of contract players) but equally, with football still not looking to get off the ground in the foreseeable, it'd potentially be deemed an unnecessary expense.
Maybe already appointed and just not announced due to situation...

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:
1 hour ago, Speroni*1 said:

Maybe already appointed and just not announced due to situation...

Cleland not running the show then?

On 14/05/2020 at 08:36, perthsaint1977 said:

Few players been released/told not being kept on, I heard last night. No shocks. Sure will hit the press over the next few days.... wonder who making the decisions ?

The ones leaving, or indeed being released, will be pretty obvious I think. Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan. Add in the 4 loanees leaving, that's a big saving on wages.

I suppose a slight concern for Saints - and indeed most clubs - is the news that the furlough scheme is continue but businesses will soon be asked to contribute towards the 80%. Saints have 14 first team players signed for next season and you'd imagine the likes of Davidson, Craig and Kane will sign new contracts before theirs expire too.  That's a lot of liability with not much return.

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The ones leaving, or indeed being released, will be pretty obvious I think. Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan. Add in the 4 loanees leaving, that's a big saving on wages.

I suppose a slight concern for Saints - and indeed most clubs - is the news that the furlough scheme is continue but businesses will soon be asked to contribute towards the 80%. Saints have 14 first team players signed for next season and you'd imagine the likes of Davidson, Craig and Kane will sign new contracts before theirs expire too.  That's a lot of liability with not much return.

You’re right Kyle, but can you imagine it was this time last year with some of the wages we’d have to pick up. The ones you mention, Swanson, Ando, Callachan, McMillan and Drey plus Ralston, Holt, Izzy Jones and Matt Butcher.

A shame for these lads as, through no fault of their own, they’re going to be without a salary for however long I’d imagine. 

For Saints, tough times for sure, but I’d guess this is probably as good a year for this to happen as any over the past 5-10 years.  There must be a lot of teams with much more than 14 first team players on their books.

I don’t know how much scope there is for it, but are we able to sign Muzz, Liam, Kano and Drey on basic wages with clauses that their salary goes up to what they’re worth when football resumes.  That way they have a modest wage during this tough time, but the club benefit from getting them signed up on a couple of year contracts without a big outlay currently.

54 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Perfect chance to say goodbye to Kane imo. If they need an equivalent striker at very short notice pick one up from these wee c***s doing tiki tok re-enactments.

😄😄😄

You know Tam, when I typed their salary "goes upto what they're worth when football resumes" I had a feeling you'd be all over it along the lines of "a bag of buttons for Kane" !!!

I would imagine Football Players at these times , will be like a lot of employees just now! Furlough means some income coming in and I think as they were employed at end Feb./March they will still be entitled to the £2500 a month payment! so I would expect not much will be disclosed until the Furlough is pulled, then unfortunately like Thousands of our fellow employees they will be made redundant, so it will be of these players interest to stay on the Saints pay role just now.        

Dundee fans on their thread reckoning James McPake has heavy hinted theyve agreed to sign Callachan, so that's one off the list.

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 14/05/2020 at 08:36, perthsaint1977 said:

On 14/05/2020 at 11:40, Speroni*1 said:

Cleland not running the show then?

On 14/05/2020 at 16:17, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Don't you mean. "So it's Cleland then?" 😬

Cleland name checked as the one making the decisions on players...