Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I like to think Old Pack (not even going to dignify his weapon-grade post by quoting it) was worked into such a seething state by my harmless little post that he couldn't even think clearly enough to properly save an image of a scoreboard from a game his team weren't playing in. 

Edited by HibsFan

16 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It's a fair point and it must surely be annoying for St Johnstone fans that the majority of your city's population don't get invested in the club? The past 7 or so years (Possibly even longer) was a major opportunity to grow your fanbase. Is it Brown's fault that it didn't grow? Why wasn't it cultivated more? Or, do the people just not care?

6 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I like to think Old Pack (not even going to dignify his weapon-grade post by quoting it) was worked into such a seething state by my harmless little post that he couldn't even think clearly enough to properly save an image of a scoreboard from a game his team weren't playing in. 

To be fair you're a lot worse. An absolute fanny sucking up to wee diddy fans just for attention. 

Just now, ali_91 said:

It’s not a fair point, it’s tone trolling by fans of supposedly bigger clubs who are absolute boiling at the fact little old St Johnstone are much more successful than them.

There is absolutely no correlation between Tommy Wright leaving and the fact that we didn’t get a 100% increase on season ticket holders after we won the cup. 

It’s no surprise it’s fans of clubs like Partick Thistle and Dundee, and not Dundee United and Kilmarnock who are the ones discussing crowds. Inferiority complex. 

There's a correlation between your most successful period in your history and your fanbase decreasing over the same period when you have the perfect opportunity to grow it.

You've went from an average of 4,526 in 2014/15 just after you won the cup and it's slowly slipped to 4,091 this season. And that's influenced by the fact you gave Celtic fans freedom of the ground twice this season as well. Have the club introduced anything to try and cultivate that success? I'm not having a go here. Dundee's attendances have steadily got worse but we've had no success and I've no doubts if we did, we'd see a sizeable increase through the gates as most clubs do. It doesn't seem to happen in Perth.

Fucked over by your rivals on Cup Final day [emoji106]

Growing a support doesnt just happen overnight.

In an era where virtually every club is down on  their core support from 20 years ago, I've always found it bizarre that St Johnstone are the club most commonly decried for it.

In an era where virtually every club is down on  their core support from 20 years ago, I've always found it bizarre that St Johnstone are the club most commonly decried for it.
It's probably because you have had a sustained period of success. Unfortunately it's came at a time where access to "the best league in the world" etc is more easily accessible though, so it's alot harder to grow a fan base in this day and age.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, but I would say it's fair to say you'd see some results of it happening over a period of 6 year.

In comparison to the two previous seasons we'd just been relegated over the past 20 year, our average attendance has been:

05/06: 3,795
13/14: 4,738
19/20: 5,227

Most clubs had an inflated attendance (Probably due to the money being thrown about at the time) from 2000-2004, but our average attendance in the top flight has always been steadily between the 6000-7000 mark since 1989 with a few seasons of it being closer to 9000 in the aforementioned 'peak' period. And that's with no success. If we were going through the most successful period in our history I'd expect Dens to be bringing in crowds we've not witnessed since the 60's.

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

No, but I would say it's fair to say you'd see some results of it happening over a period of 6 year.

In comparison to the two previous seasons we'd just been relegated over the past 20 year, our average attendance has been:

Most clubs had an inflated attendance (Probably due to the money being thrown about at the time) from 2000-2004, but our average attendance in the top flight has always been steadily between the 6000-7000 mark since 1989 with a few seasons of it being closer to 9000 in the aforementioned 'peak' period. And that's with no success. If we were going through the most successful period in our history I'd expect Dens to be bringing in crowds we've not witnessed since the 60's.

What’s the population of Dundee? Population of Perth? 

1 minute ago, Bose said:

What’s the population of Dundee? Population of Perth? 

I'm not expecting you to match Dundee's support. I've never once said that.

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:
17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's probably because you have had a sustained period of success. Unfortunately it's came at a time where access to "the best league in the world" etc is more easily accessible though, so it's alot harder to grow a fan base in this day and age.

6 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

I'll let you both know that the age groups of our fans has pretty wildly swung from an ageing support to a younger supports.

When I first started going you were surrounded by old boys, now you see plenty of family groups.

That sort of transference takes time, and there will be an overlap when you add in the glory hunters/fans who's circumstances change. Our core support is larger than it's been in history barring the move to McDiarmid in an era when most clubs had their peak. 

If you genuinely dream of Dundee taking in 10k fans every week then you're in absolute dreamland. Scottish football fans arent that committed in numbers anymore.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you genuinely dream of Dundee taking in 10k fans every week then you're in absolute dreamland. Scottish football fans are that committed in numbers anymore.

If Dundee were winning the league and cups again, I'd wager that we would be nigh on 10k every week (Or at least the home allocation would be a lot closer to selling out - doubt the away end would change much). It's a moot point because we'll never be in a position to win the league in my lifetime (Nor will any other barring an absolute miracle from Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs).

I'm pretty sure the Saints are just like any other smaller provincial club in that they have a lot of armchair fans  and  their fan base is probably 4/5 times the amount who actually attend regular games. 

3 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

I'm not expecting you to match Dundee's support. I've never once said that.

But you are using Dundee attendances to make a comparison so include the populations that these stats are drawn from surely? 

9 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

If Dundee were winning the league and cups

Dreamland it is.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, Bose said:

But you are using Dundee attendances to make a comparison so include the populations that these stats are drawn from surely? 

I'm not comparing attendances. I'm comparing the increase of attendances over the past 20 years (Which RandomGuy had said every clubs support has went down over that period) in each of the 'worst' seasons we've had ie, relegation.

Your club has had a successful period of 6 year (Longer than that but I'm taking it from the season you won the cup) and your support has decreased significantly in that time:

19/20: 3,416
14/15: 4,490

A decrease of pretty much 1000 and that's not forgetting that Celtic got a significantly higher allocation in their games.

Why do folk get so hung up on crowd sizes?

Incidentally, no team that has won a cup in the last decade or so, at least, has seem a sustained large increase in crowds.

Anyway, Allan Preston has just suggested Paul Hartley for the St Johnstone job.