Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20200225-100500_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6a3822c97ece143d8042e65ccc2407d2.jpg

Mind that time Steve Brown said this?

To counter that as well. From what I've heard from current and ex employees of the club. 

"Diplomat" isn't a word they'd use nor educated from the other side 

What I've had described to me is once he's decided something regardless of what anyone from from the "other side" of the debate thinks, its happening his way and that's that. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

So if he clearly wants to move away from running the ckub. Does he want to hand over ownership or keep a hold of that but hand over 100% of the running of the club to Kirsten and co permanently?

If he wants to relinquish ownership will he hand it over to the new owners if one was to be found that he felt was suitable or will he want to sell for a price?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Guest Moomintroll
So if he clearly wants to move away from running the ckub. Does he want to hand over ownership or keep a hold of that but hand over 100% of the running of the club to Kirsten and co permanently?
If he wants to relinquish ownership will he hand it over to the new owners if one was to be found that he felt was suitable or will he want to sell for a price?
I like our partners in meh, for the love of Jeebus, do not hand anything over to KR. Did you not just witness our debacle?

46 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

He said once that his preference is fan ownership, but the "jurys still out" on whether that works.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm still not sure exactly how it all works tbh.

There used to be a quite helpful 'how it works' page for The Well Society but it looks like the WS site has been integrated into the 'official' MFC page since Boyle and Hutchison were paid back and a lot of that content has disappeared into the ether.

In terms of the 'mechanics' and 'structure' it really depends, as @Mr Positive, sometimes. mentioned, whether the Brown family wanted to sell the club or if they'd be happy to hand it over for a nominal cost. In our case the actual sale of the club from Les Hutchison to The Well Society was for £1 - the £1.6m that was paid back to him was essentially a capital loan that allowed the club to re-structure and invest in improving various departments (and sign Tony Straker) - I've banged on about that stuff before but Hutchison talks about it in this interview.

So if it was to follow a similar path you'd have the ownership passed to a body - call it The Saints Trust or whatever - and that's pretty much it.

The vehicle would own the club - have someone sitting on the board but beyond that the BOD could effectively remain the same (we have the same chairman as a fan owned club as we did prior to the transfer of ownership) and it'd be up to that BOD how the club operates eg: if they wanted to retain a CEO to handle the day to day etc.

There's a line on the Foundation Of Hearts website that makes it a lot easier to get your head round: "Fan ownership, but not fan management, will thus become a reality, with appropriate governance processes being implemented." 

In terms of finance we budget for 10th, no cup runs and no player sales (which I was under the impression Saints did - until the past couple of interviews) and the WS essentially acts as a bank to cover any short term cashflow issues, shortfall or minor investment. It's really up to the two parties how that's treated...in our case it goes on the books as a 'loan' (which is why the wording in the statement re: 'external debt' being paid off was as specific).

I know Brown has been bumping his gums about budgets the past few days and also that you've been posting losses but assuming TW was willing to work within those parameters and realised that he didn't have the option of a cash injection to 'go the extra mile' and there was scope to implement a fairly robust business plan I'd imagine a fan-owned St Johnstone would largely look the same as it does at the moment and at least you'd still be getting your income from doing a purvey.

Edited by capt_oats

He doesn't own the club anyway. Geoff does.

That was Steve. Everyone was buzzing that we'd managed to get over the line, got back in the car and there he was on the radio complaining that it was a hindrance.

That’s horrendous. I knew he had his reservations about being in Europe but I didn’t know he was on the airwaves, immediately after having qualified, complaining about it. Dreadful chat.

The guy clearly is just interested in the money. It stinks.

There used to be a quite helpful 'how it works' page for The Well Society but it looks like the WS site has been integrated into the 'official' MFC page since Boyle and Hutchison were paid back and a lot of that content has disappeared into the ether.
In terms of the 'mechanics' and 'structure' it really depends, as [mention=72779]Mr Positive, sometimes.[/mention] mentioned, whether the Brown family wanted to sell the club or if they'd be happy to hand it over for a nominal cost. In our case the actual sale of the club from Les Hutchison to The Well Society was for £1 - the £1.6m that was paid back to him was essentially a capital loan that allowed the club to re-structure and invest in improving various departments (and sign Tony Straker) - I've banged on about that stuff before but Hutchison talks about it in this interview.
So if it was to follow a similar path you'd have the ownership passed to a body - call it The Saints Trust or whatever - and that's pretty much it.
The vehicle would own the club - have someone sitting on the board but beyond that the BOD could effectively remain the same (we have the same chairman as a fan owned club as we did prior to the transfer of ownership) and it'd be up to that BOD how the club operates eg: if they wanted to retain a CEO to handle the day to day etc.
There's a line on the Foundation Of Hearts website that makes it a lot easier to get your head round: "Fan ownership, but not fan management, will thus become a reality, with appropriate governance processes being implemented." 
In terms of finance we budget for 10th, no cup runs and no player sales (which I was under the impression Saints did - until the past couple of interviews) and the WS essentially acts as a bank to cover any short term cashflow issues, shortfall or minor investment. It's really up to the two parties how that's treated...in our case it goes on the books as a 'loan' (which is why the wording in the statement re: 'external debt' being paid off was as specific).
I know Brown has been bumping his gums about budgets the past few days and also that you've been posting losses but assuming TW was willing to work within those parameters and realised that he didn't have the option of a cash injection to 'go the extra mile' and there was scope to implement a fairly robust business plan I'd imagine a fan-owned St Johnstone would largely look the same as it does at the moment and at least you'd still be getting your income from doing a purvey.
Excellent summary thanks.

That’s horrendous. I knew he had his reservations about being in Europe but I didn’t know he was on the airwaves, immediately after having qualified, complaining about it. Dreadful chat.

To be fair, he's concerned about the finances of the club. I think he'd be quick to point out there's little or no personal gain from the business.

26 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Excellent summary thanks.

Fwiw: I'm not advocating or saying it's a route St Johnstone should go down - just that it's roughly speaking how 'fan ownership' has worked for us. I've voted twice both for board members of the Society, AFAIK neither have any involvement in the day to day running of the club. 

Beyond that the club functions like pretty much any other in the league - we have a board of directors and a CEO who runs the club (Alan Burrows).

Also, given the fact that we had an interest free loan handed over with soft repayment terms with a view to the explicit outcome of fan ownership it's up for debate whether we're really a representative example - even more so as the whole thing in our case seems to have been accelerated by a quirk of fortune that saw us reach 2 cup finals in the same season and sold players for a combined £1m+ that season which meant we ended up with record turnover and profit.

That said given St Johnstone are (famously) sitting on £2m cash at hand you've got more in the bank than we did at the point Hutchison stepped in so it's a question whether you'd actually need funding or investment for any sort of restructure and from what I can tell you've got all your home-grown sellable assets tied up on long-term deals - so there's value there if you play your cards right and trade from a position of strength.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

If he was just interested in the money, he'd be paying himself a six-figure sum, like plenty other owners of clubs in Scotland.

Unlike Tommy, he does his job for nothing and gets very little thanks for it.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Going of in a tangent a bit here but this whole situation sheds the real reasons why Drey Wright has not been offered a contract in my opinion. 

"We don't know what division we'll be in". Despite us agreeing new deals for half the squad recently.

"His agent wouldn't be interested in discussing earlier this year". 

The real true I think by the looks of it, he's not going to be getting offered one at all as he's part of the budget cuts but publicly they won't admit that. 

Just looking at how we can get into he top six looking at our remaining fixtures.

Saints: St Mirren Away. Livi Home. Hibs Away. Celtic Away. Hamilton Home. Rangers Away     32 Points

Killie: Aberdeen Home. Hamilton Away. St Mirren Home. Motherwell Away. Livi Home.             32 Points

Hibs: Hearts Home. Aberdeen Away. Us Home. Hamilton Away. Celtic Home.             37 Points

Livi: Celtic Home. Us Away. Hearts Home. Aberdeen Home. Kill Away                38 Points

Can see it going down to the last game of the season. The games against each other will define it i think. Also our horrific goal difference may well play a part.