Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

How come we’re able to offer McCart and Rooney deals for next season if we don’t know what league we’re going to be in? That makes little or no sense, unless Drey Wright is on a lot more money than is to be expected. Well it was good watching Wright for the 8 months he’s been fit, an excellent player. Mind you I doubt he’ll have teams battering down the door to sign him given he’s had 3 cruciate injuries before the age of 25.

How come we’re able to offer McCart and Rooney deals for next season if we don’t know what league we’re going to be in? That makes little or no sense, unless Drey Wright is on a lot more money than is to be expected. Well it was good watching Wright for the 8 months he’s been fit, an excellent player. Mind you I doubt he’ll have teams battering down the door to sign him given he’s had 3 cruciate injuries before the age of 25.
100% this.

Callum hendry also signed a new deal last week on higher wages etc than was on.

If we were really adopting this resigning policy then that along with other deals will have not happened.

9 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Strange that booth, McCann and Kennedy all had offers of new deals before end of the season......

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

It's as if they need to say something,  say anything, to the fans as they'll lap it all up.

Scrap the fans forums if they're just going to waffle pish.

I obviously don't mean P&B, that's for us, or me, to waffle pish.

Edited by tree house tam

I know it's different club size but if this kind of shitshow was how the likes of Hearts, Hibs or maybe even Killie were being run as disjointedly and potentially dishonestly as ours the supporters wouldn't put up with it. 

Our club seems to get away with it because "well were doing alright". "Oh well you're all too young to remember when we were really shit". 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I know it's different club size but if this kind of shitshow was how the likes of Hearts, Hibs or maybe even Killie were being run this disjointedly and potentially dishonestly the supporters wouldn't put up with it. 
Our club seems to get away with it because "well were doing alright". "Oh well you're all too young to remember when we were really shit". 

Nope remember the dark days of the bottom division.

Whilst I agree there could be improvements made, I don't see the need for sheer panic over stuff like this.

The club will continue to do as they have always done ( go about their business quietly) .

I'd be more concerned with it all had not one played been extended but there has been countless signed/resigned recently which makes a mockery of that comment made last night.

25 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Whilst I agree there could be improvements made, I don't see the need for sheer panic over stuff like this.

The club will continue to do as they have always done ( go about their business quietly) .

It's hard to ignore the fact it's the club, and the club alone, who are causing the "panic" by offering statements like "we're not extending this regular players contract until we know we're safe from relegation" into the public domain without anything to clarify why.

It's not as if fans have just made this up or guessed at it, it's literally what the person who runs the club is telling them.

Just another notch on the bed post in terms of the club having zero idea how to communicate with fans.

It's hard to ignore the fact it's the club, and the club alone, who are causing the "panic" by offering statements like "we're not extending this regular players contract until we know we're safe from relegation" into the public domain without anything to clarify why.
It's not as if fans have just made this up or guessed at it, it's literally what the person who runs the club is telling them.
Just another notch on the bed post in terms of the club having zero idea how to communicate with fans.
Oh i know it was said.
As tam said, it's like they felt they had to say something so did just that, but it seems a silly comment to make given we have just resigned an existing player last week without knowing which division we are in.

Yeah I don't think that's the cleverest way to word it when we've already extended some players. It could be that TW has given the club a list of priorities and they've extended the contracts he feels are essential and Wright has fallen below that. Given his stats - 1 league goal and I think 0 assists since we signed him - i don't think that's unreasonable of the club.

Can understand Wright's point too. He's the manager and wants him in the squad next year. There's surely enough slack in the budget to give Wright an extension now given that McMillan, Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, probably Holt and Ralston etc wont be here next season and are bound to be earning decent money. I'm sure McCann and Hendry have had their pay packets increased significantly but you'd hope that's not swallowed up the whole budget for the rest.

It probably comes back to the manager not feeling like he's being backed again. I think all of the deadwood he's accumulated has hamstrung the club to a degree and hopefully things will be easier for the club after these guys are off the wage bil completely.

Just to add context

We currently have 13 players signed up for next season, 14 if (as has been reported) Rooney has signed a pre-contract

Of the rest of the squad, we have 9 players who's contracts expire (Johnstone, Anderson, Booth, Davidson, Callachan, Craig, Wright, Swanson, Kane, McMillan)

4 loans expiring (Ralston, Holt, Butcher, Jones)

I'm not sure what the position is with the youngsters who make up the numbers on the bench or who are out on loan, but we're in a better position right now than we usually are. There's probably 5 players in the above list who have a good shot of a new contract (Booth, Davidson, Craig, Wright and Kane) and we've got all of our best young talent who are impacting the first team tied down long term, except for Wright who the manager is making a big issue about. The others are probably ones we're comfortable to leave until later- they're either secure at the club and wont be difficult to deal with or they are unlikely to get a club of our standing and/or who are playing at the level we are.

I think we're in a decent position considering it's only February and we're still not sure what league we'll be in next season. Wright and Kennedy are problems we've all seen coming and club maybe should've dealt with that sooner, but in a broader sense the players who should be here next season are signed up, the ones who shouldn't be are coming out of contract.

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, Widge said:

.... Mind you I doubt he’ll have teams battering down the door to sign him given he’s had 3 cruciate injuries before the age of 25.

This is why we aren't battering down the door.  Waiting to confirm the reduced risk of carrying a well waged crock while we're on championship income is the most prudent course at the moment. Not ideal, headline grabbing or fan pleasing but definitely the safest bet.  If he does sign elsewhere, so be it. We have no crystal ball but we do have medical notes and a physio team 

Edited by TayGuddler

20 hours ago, tree house tam said:

This.

Ask Tommy how much he hates Kirsten and record his reaction please.

One of the points raised last night that intrigued me was there’s going to be a launch of an official Former Players Association whereby old players/legends/heroes are going to be officially affiliated with the club and will attend events and the like, almost like club ambassadors.  To be announced soon.

Celtic will almost certainly be given three stands for the cup quarter final, much to most of the room’s disapproval.

The club are looking to be more pro-active with regards to fan engagement and are hoping to start sending out two emails per week.

Kiosks going to have cashless facilities in the near future (hopefully more hot food too!).

As already mentioned, the safe standing topic was raised.  Kirsten was involved in the process to install it at Rugby Park but said it hasn’t been discussed at Saints, yet.

Will add more when my memory wants to work. 

22 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

As already mentioned, the safe standing topic was raised.  Kirsten was involved in the process to install it at Rugby Park but said it hasn’t been discussed at Saints, yet. 

It was discussed previously prior to her arrival apparently. Club, understandably unwilling to fund it so unless the fans were to pay for it or someone was willing to sponsor the installation, planning whatever was required then it's unlikely to happen. According to SLO anyway. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

It was discussed previously prior to her arrival apparently. Club, understandably unwilling to fund it so unless the fans were to pay for it or someone was willing to sponsor the installation, planning whatever was required then it's unlikely to happen. According to SLO anyway. 

I meant Kirsten hasn’t been involved in any discussions with regards to it.  Apologies.

26 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
29 minutes ago, tree house tam said:
Is all we need or expect. Lies just creates a snowball of shite.

She did say talks were ongoing tbf

As well as adding shite that wasn't needed....

Anyway, let's not dwell on it for too long. Is big sexy Liam in the team tonight?