Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

A little confused why I'm seeing people absolutely convinced Saints fans will turn up if it's cheap. 

Home fans could get discounted tickets at £10 before. 

1400 turned up. The fact it's a cup tie won't all of a sudden treble that. That's the sad reality. 

Seen some suggesting trying to make it supporter friendly, flags etc. The club struggle to order enough pies for a match day despite having years and years to get it right. Cant say I've much faith they'll be able to organise something like that to the scale required. 

As much as anyone else I'd love to see loads of Saints fans along supporting the team but I can't I can see it happening I'm afraid. 

Picking up on something@Kyle said on the Motherwell thread, I make it that only 4 of our current squad originally joined the club at 24 or over. Those players being Parish, Booth, Swanson and Holt. I've discounted players on loan to other clubs although only McMillan would be added to the list.

If Wright was to get us in to the top six this year it would one of his biggest successes at the club. Rebuilding any successful side is difficult enough, but doing against a back drop of one of the lowest budgets in the league whilst also lowering the age of the squad is particularly impressive. One only has to look back to early 00's to see how dreadfully this can go. Not only is there cause to believe that this squad can improve but that's there is also the potential for a few players to bring significant income to the club.

16 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Picking up on something@Kyle said on the Motherwell thread, I make it that only 4 of our current squad originally joined the club at 24 or over. Those players being Parish, Booth, Swanson and Holt. I've discounted players on loan to other clubs although only McMillan would be added to the list.

If Wright was to get us in to the top six this year it would one of his biggest successes at the club. Rebuilding any successful side is difficult enough, but doing against a back drop of one of the lowest budgets in the league whilst also lowering the age of the squad is particularly impressive. One only has to look back to early 00's to see how dreadfully this can go. Not only is there cause to believe that this squad can improve but that's there is also the potential for a few players to bring significant income to the club.

Agreed. I got married on the 19th of October - St Mirren away - and to that point the new look squad looked like a failed experiment. Since then it seems like the manager will be proven right in the vast majority of what he's done in the last couple of years. Still a few question marks about some players currently  in the squad but we seem to have at least one option in every position that isn't a total disaster now.

I wonder if he'll stick with the strategy of bringing in younger players again  in the summer or if he'll want to add more experience to the group. We obviously have good experience already signed up, but we could probably use older heads as options in defence and potentially in midifeld if either Craig or Davidson aren't retained, bearing in mind we'll likely struggle to get near Holt's current wage with Rangers.

McCart and Rooney being targeted suggests that's the profile of player we're probably looking at. Young players either making the step up and/or young players who have rebuilt their career after being released by bigger clubs. Both types will feel they have a point to prove.

Edited by Kyle

34 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Agreed. I got married on the 19th of October - St Mirren away

Finally some solace found around that day, as those at the game discover someone suffered more than them.

Firstly, of course they will. 
Second point, it probably will be because we had a full day on the piss before the actual football. The actual football at Ayr was pretty shite tbh. I thought It was more entertaining in the previous few games.
I may be in a minority here but I go to the football to actually watch football, I fucking love the game, I don't need American type razzmattaz to make me want to come back. I don't even need 30 pissed up 14 year olds banging a fucked drum to make me enjoy the "experience". What brings me back through the turnstiles is exciting football, it's debatable that we've had that these last few years, but they always entice me back when I feel like chucking it.
I'm with you on this Auld yin. My primary reason for going to the football is the football. And this hasn't come on with age, even as a laddie it was all about the game for me.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The Drey Wright saga begins. 

TW in media encouraging club to hurry up and get a new deal agreed. 

Will he sign?

ea2.png.8a064d4f6a0455f50294bb1c813539cb.png

What is his current goals and assists stats? An assist at the weekend there I think but is that not only 2 since joining? Plus 1 goal he barely even celebrated because it was an accident.

I like him and enjoy watching him play, but should we be hoping for more from that position?

ETA I'm not forgetting he spent a long period out, but feels like a while to still be saying "getting back up to full speed".

49 minutes ago, Super_J said:

What is his current goals and assists stats? An assist at the weekend there I think but is that not only 2 since joining? Plus 1 goal he barely even celebrated because it was an accident.

I like him and enjoy watching him play, but should we be hoping for more from that position?

ETA I'm not forgetting he spent a long period out, but feels like a while to still be saying "getting back up to full speed".

Here lies IMO why some Saints fans were demanding TW should be sacked earlier in the year. 

Higher expectations V the reality of the level of player we can attract to the club generally.

For a club like Saints it's damn hard to get players of his ability, which has been proven by our very average recruitment at times never mind genuinely expecting to have someone better.

Here lies IMO why some Saints fans were demanding TW should be sacked earlier in the year. 
Higher expectations V the reality of the level of player we can attract to the club generally.
For a club like Saints it's damn hard to get players of his ability, which has been proven by our very average recruitment at times never mind genuinely expecting to have someone better.
I did reread my post and realised it was sounding far more critical than I intended. For my money I'd like us to keep him, but the words from Tommy this morning are becoming more familiar and the last few times have lead to player leaving.

I suppose what I was trying to get at is whether or not it's a disaster if he does.

FWIW I was firmly in the keep Tommy at all costs camp when we were slumping.