Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If we could defend better consistently we'd have at least 7-8 more points. 

To many soft goals earlier in the season especially.

The statto types on Twitter have Clark as one of the, if not the, worst performing keeper in the league. But their method of getting that result is a bit sketchy.

The statto types on Twitter have Clark as one of the, if not the, worst performing keeper in the league. But their method of getting that result is a bit sketchy.
We've shipped a shit load of goals early on the season particularly because we generally left strikers in different post codes when crosses came into our box. There's virtually no other reason.

We've seemingly only gained 4 points from 11 games against the top six this season. 0 wins.
Until the split, our fixtures are split...
Top Half: 7 (Celtic, Rangers x2, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Livingston, Hibernian)
Bottom Half: 3 (County, St Mirren, Hamilton)
Really need to start collecting points against the top half sides if we don't want to put huge pressure on the fixtures after the split. 
If we continue form, we'll get 8/9 points from the split, takes us up to 29 points.
Everyone will have their own targets in mind for what they think we'll need, I got 38pts to avoid 11th but thats not certain. To me we'll need at least 9/10 points from the next 10 games just to avoid the play off.
Don't know if I'm misreading your post but 8/9 points before the split will take us to 32/33 points as we currently have 24?
I'd be delighted if we reach 32 points by the split tbh.

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Don't know if I'm misreading your post but 8/9 points before the split will take us to 32/33 points as we currently have 24?

I think I've miscounted tbh.

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

So. @RandomGuy. expects that we will need 38 points to finish no worse than tenth. Seems reasonable.

We have 10 games pre-split (7 against top 6, 3 against bottom 6) and 5 after (all bottom 6, obviously). 

38 points from 15 games, i.e. 14 more than we currently have. 

We average, roughly, 1/3rd of a point per game against top 6 clubs this season, so that would be another 2.5 points on current form.

Then, we can add 1.5 points per game for the 3 games against the bottom six before the split. So that's 4.5 points. To me, that takes our points total to (7+24) = 31 before the split. 

Post split, we should be looking at (1.5 x 5) = 7.5 points. 

So rounding that down to 7 because others have strengthed and we'll likely be more away than at home, I make that 38 points. 

That's the arithmetic, but not sure that the methodology is entirely reliable. Working purely from memory, have not all 4 of our points from the top 6 come from the team in 7th, and as we don't play them again you could just as easily say that we expect 0 points from the top 5 teams that we play in our remaining games?

Still, it's interesting that if we win even one of our remaining 7 games against a top 6 (5) side we're ahead of where we need to be, also assuming we don't slip up against any from the bottom 6. For what it's worth I think we'll just make it as I think we'll pick up an extra point or two against the top 6 than the target but not necessarily by gaining more than the target against the bottom 6.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

@Valentino Bolognese

I used the average points per game against top half/bottom half sides, put it into the amount of games left, and tried to work out our final points total and it was 37.

That's assuming my maths is right.

Had us tied for 7th with County once you do it the same for every side in the bottom half.

45 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Let's not accept average lads, never ever except average.

average is fine, at least its better than Kris Kane! 

edit: I made fun of Chris Kane and then felt bad until I realised he 1 goal this season against Brechin City, the actual worst professional team in our league structure

t

Edited by Doctor
felt bad for making fun of Chris Kane