Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

See this is the positive posting I like from Random. 

Its bizarre. A week ago the manager says theres no player in talks and hes not being allowed to sign players, yet folk expect us to go out and sign experienced quality players in the last week of the window. Most of the deals being done today have likely been in the works for most of the month.

A 6 foot tall winger who by all accounts is fucking rapid. Wins penalties for fun at Reserve level up there, and scored a goal for his non-league team beforehand by collecting the ball on the halfway line, dribbling past half an opposition team then slotting it home with his weak foot.
Its a total punt on someone who could end up being an incredible option off the bench. We clearly have no money left, or are saving it for a bigger signing, so I struggle to see what the issue is with this type of signing.

This.

I’m getting irritated by those suggesting we need to sign someone we’ve all heard of and who has loads of first team experience.

What else are we honestly expecting?
We offer nothing that would persuade someone proven at this level. 
Plus lets face it. You've we've no idea the level of his abilty either?

You’re missing my point. I’m simply saying, if our ‘attacking signing’ is a winger rather than a striker, I wouldn’t be particularly happy. This is not a statement on the boy’s quality and this isn’t me saying that I expect us to sign someone who is proven at this level. I just feel our need for a striker is far greater than our need for a winger. If this signing is in addition to a striker, then that’s absolutely fine.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

You’re missing my point. I’m simply saying, if our ‘attacking signing’ is a winger rather than a striker, I wouldn’t be particularly happy. This is not a statement on the boy’s quality and this isn’t me saying that I expect us to sign someone who is proven at this level. I just feel our need for a striker is far greater than our need for a winger. If this signing is in addition to a striker, then that’s absolutely fine.

We clearly can't really afford to sign someone who'll come straight into the first team. 

Would you really rather want, yet another, 3rd choice quality striker instead of a winger who offers something different?

I’m happy with the window. Would have been a nice bonus to get Rooney in just now as well but assuming we stay up he will be a good addition. McCart whilst young looks a decent prospect, two relative unknowns and tying hendry down on another two years. Disappointed to lose Kennedy but aside from that I think a good window all in.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A 6 foot tall winger who by all accounts is fucking rapid. Wins penalties for fun at Reserve level up there, and scored a goal for his non-league team beforehand by collecting the ball on the halfway line, dribbling past half an opposition team then slotting it home with his weak foot.

Its a total punt on someone who could end up being an incredible option off the bench. We clearly have no money left, or are saving it for a bigger signing, so I struggle to see what the issue is with this type of signing.

I also love the optimism but ...

- A 6 foot tall winger

Is an advantage why? 

- by all accounts is fucking rapid

Which accounts?

-  at Reserve level

Hmm

- scored a goal for his non-league team

Hmmmmmmmm

- Its a total punt

Correct. It's the 150/1 outside nag that once in a blue moon hoses up, but it's OK because it's only a 50p bet. Because we're small time players. 

- We clearly have no money left

Except we do, and unless we sort ourselves out relegation is a very real threat.

In all honesty I'm not particularly negative about the window (so far) other than losing Kennedy and Hearts clearly strengthening. But still, the lack of ambition is demoralising. Fingers crossed we get some boxoffice striker in over the weekend. 

2 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I’m happy with the window. Would have been a nice bonus to get Rooney in just now as well but assuming we stay up he will be a good addition. McCart whilst young looks a decent prospect, two relative unknowns and tying hendry down on another two years. Disappointed to lose Kennedy but aside from that I think a good window all in.

I tend to agree. The best thing about this window has been the Hendry contract. McCart we'll see, and good to have a RB on PCA as that's a very weak position for us. 

For me it's a 6/10 window. 

We clearly can't really afford to sign someone who'll come straight into the first team. 
Would you really rather want, yet another, 3rd choice quality striker instead of a winger who offers something different?

Not sure why your description of a young incoming winger is someone ‘who offers something different’ whereas your description of a hypothetical young incoming striker is ‘a third choice quality striker’.

Surely if we’re capable of signing a winger who offers something different, we would equally have been capable of signing a striker who offers something different. We’re in much greater need of that. As I say, if we do end up signing a striker, it is not an issue.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

Not sure why your description of a young incoming winger is someone ‘who offers something different’ whereas your description of a hypothetical young incoming striker is ‘a third choice quality striker’.

Surely if we’re capable of signing a winger who offers something different, we would equally have been capable of signing a striker who offers something different. We’re in much greater need of that. As I say, if we do end up signing a striker, it is not an issue.

Pacey, skillful, wingers who play on either side are ten a penny, yet is different to what we have, what kind of striker were you hoping for exactly?

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That’s fair enough but it seems a bit silly to sign players on loan for a few months if they’re not going straight into the first team. Butcher is at least out of contract so may be this is an extended trial but what’s the value in signing Jones? We already have Swanson, O’Halloran, Wright, Wotherspoon and even Tanser who can be used as wingers/impact subs for that position. Big ask for us to replace Kennedy, I get that. 

Best of luck to the guy but I was hoping for experience in this window. It’s what the manager said he wanted and we’ve ended up signing two 22 year olds and a 20 year old. 

I can’t remember us ever having as many as 5 loanees in a squad before. 

Pacey, skillful, wingers who play on either side are ten a penny, yet is different to what we have, what kind of striker were you hoping for exactly?

When Kennedy left the club, I thought ‘At least we’ve got an appropriate amount of wingers now.’ We were looking top-heavy and we’re hardly crying out for a quality winger. Jones may be very good, I’m not doubting that. But do we need a ‘different option’ currently when we’ve already got the likes of O’Halloran, Wright, Swanson and Wotherspoon who can all play on the wings when required?

I was kind of hoping for a striker who provides a bit more presence in the final third, considering the amount of good crosses we’ve put into the box without any tangible reward. Not necessarily an outstanding player. Just someone who could pose a different kind of threat off the bench.