Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Fair enough. We're on the same page. 

My comment was in reaction to the Dunfermline guy's idea that somehow Saints wouldn't be a big enough move for the boy, and that we couldn't afford him. Both points being patent nonsense. 

I think that he would be a reasonable gamble in a position we need to strengthen. 

The Shankland case is interesting in that I don't think he would have got in the national squad if he'd come to Saints. Having a great year at the top Championship team will be doing his confidence wonders and (*checks score in cup replay*) it looks like he's proving over 2 legs that he can score against a Premiership defence. 

Sorry, think we are on the same page  :)

Below  is exactly what I was talking about  ....

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has Nisbet? Well done to him scoring in the seaside league and all, but he only has one decent 6 months, at a decent level, by the age of 22 after having a breakthrough season 4 years ago.

The point was that Nisbet would be a risk as hes completely unproven at the top level, and we've already seen with Kane, who at a younger age than Nisbet had an equally impressive half season, that it doesn't always translate once you go up a tier.

I understand you're all frothy about Nisbet and convincing yourself he'll be a star though.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

9 times out of 10 that's not what drives the decision. I say this all the time. This myth he'd pick Saints because he's going to be guaranteed a game isn't as appealing as Saints fans seem to believe.  

If he gets an offer of say 3 year deal at say Hibs but he's told he'll be coming in as cover or for arguments sake 1.5k 2 year deal at Saints but is told he'll be first choice. 

I know where he's going and it's not Saints....

I agree with that too - but it entirely depends on more than one offer being on the table and one being considerably more lucrative. In a short career it makes sense to take the money if it's on the table. 

Also depends on the player of course, and the agent is only going to push them in one direction. 

Again though, the suggestion here is that Nesbit, after half a season of goals for Dunfermline and a good season at Raith, is already 'too good for mid table Premiership' is simply daft. The overlooked fact here is that much bigger clubs will offer contracts on higher wages to lower-league gambles and the end up not playing them, or loaning them out because in relative terms an extra grand or two a week means little to them. It doesn't actually mean that the player is at that standard, or worth the wage. 

Result - the big club might uncover a gem for a relatively trivial outlay and it they don't the player gets the cash and the ego boost. 

10 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

Sorry, think we are on the same page  :)

Below  is exactly what I was talking about  ....

Nesbit is a 22yo with half a season of good football and a £100k+ price tag.

We won't sign him, nor consider signing him, and I'm comfortable with that. If we're spending that fee on someone it has to be on someone who will pretty much be a guaranteed success as it would probably be 2 players worth of wages going on one players transfer fee.

You can talk about how it would be "worth the gamble", but frankly theres every chance he would bomb here. Hes played his entire time at Dunfermline in a front two.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We won't sign him, nor consider signing him, and I'm comfortable with that. If we're spending that fee on someone it has to be on someone who will pretty much be a guaranteed success as it would probably be 2 players worth of wages going on one players transfer fee.

You can talk about how it would be "worth the gamble", but frankly theres every chance he would bomb here. Hes played his entire time at Dunfermline in a front two.

He hasn't in any of the three games against Ayr?

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That about sums up all you know about Nesbit, bit of a riddy. 

*shrugs*

Whenever I've seen you on BBC Scotland etc. theres been players beside him/getting beyond him. The top flight generally sees strikers a lot more isolated.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

Whenever I've seen you on BBC Scotland etc. theres been players beside him/getting beyond him. The top flight generally sees strikers a lot more isolated.

So you've not watched him at all often, nor are you even remotely familiar with the system he plays in, still just batter on making bold and sweeping assumptions. 

I get that you really enjoy posting, but sometimes it's better to say nothing rather than make it clear you know nothing. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

So you've not watched him at all often, nor are you even remotely familiar with the system he plays in, still just batter on making bold and sweeping assumptions. 

I get that you really enjoy posting, but sometimes it's better to say nothing rather than make it clear you know nothing. 

My entire point has been that we won't be spending a major fee on Nisbet because Kane had comparable figures at a similar age and hasn't been able to move that up a tier.

Nothing more, nothing less.

My point is these are the same conversations as were had about Shankland. 3 million coming into the bank right now would be handy but no one thought it was worth the risk. There are different levels of gambles.. With 70,000 recently coming into the bank surely someone who is scoring that many goals for a mid table side is worth a discussion with Dunfermline and his agent?

Just now, saint pogo said:

My point is these are the same conversations as were had about Shankland. 3 million coming into the bank right now would be handy but no one thought it was worth the risk. There are different levels of gambles.. With 70,000 recently coming into the bank surely someone who is scoring that many goals for a mid table side is worth a discussion with Dunfermline and his agent?

They wouldn't take £70k.

Denny Johnstone once hit double figures at that level at the age of 21. Should we have spent a six figure fee on him on the off chance he became a superstar?

Dunfermline will, as is their right, demand a fee that we, as is wise, would decide isn't worth the risk of ending up with a Johnstone rather than a Shankland. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My entire point has been that we won't be spending a major fee on Nisbet because Kane had comparable figures at a similar age and hasn't been able to move that up a tier.

Nothing more, nothing less.

You're comparisons between Nisbet and Kane are absolutely nonsensical, as proven by you then trying to claim to a fellow St Johnstone fan that Nesbit had been playing in a front two all season. You literally have no idea what you're talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You're comparisons between Nisbet and Kane are absolutely nonsensical, as proven by you then trying to claim to a fellow St Johnstone fan that Nesbit had been playing in a front two all season. You literally have no idea what you're talking about. 

My comparisons are that Kane and Nesbit have an almost literally identical scoring record in the Championship, by minutes, in their first real seasons as first choice at that level. 

Kane couldn't follow that up by scoring regularly in the top flight.

I was not comparing them as players. Merely that #Player1 and #Player2 has similar second tier records. #Player1 couldn't do step up as a goalscorer, so theres zero guarantee #Player2 will despite claims it would be worth spending our biggest transfer fee in 3 decades on #Player2.

Edited by RandomGuy.

It's fair enough and will be what our hierarchy concludes I would think. It's conservative, safe and a bit boring. Ultimately if every decision is like that we will go backwards. Not necessarily about Nisbet as this is theoretical but about a mentality. Good decision making is about when to stop and when to go. I would just like to see a signing with a bit of proper ambition which has enough evidence of being weighed in the balance.

1 minute ago, saint pogo said:

It's fair enough and will be what our hierarchy concludes I would think. It's conservative, safe and a bit boring. Ultimately if every decision is like that we will go backwards. Not necessarily about Nisbet as this is theoretical but about a mentality. Good decision making is about when to stop and when to go. I would just like to see a signing with a bit of proper ambition which has enough evidence of being weighed in the balance.

We lost over £300k last year and are on course for another loss along the same figure, as the club have upped the wage bill to apparently the highest its ever been. Clark, Kerr and McCann have all been given long term deals and the club are pumping money into the youth set up.

Do they need to be spending six figure fees on anyone with a wee bit of hype for you to think they're being ambitious?