Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

What if... we sack McPake, Wright has enough and leaves, joins us and reinvigorates the squad, cements a play-off spot and we relegate you.

That'd be funny.

I'm going to go drink some more now.

I said it on your thread, but I can see him packing it in once he leaves us, tbh.

Substitute St Johnstone into this article and tell me it doesnt feel relevant...

Screenshot_20200125-070124_Chrome.thumb.jpg.994c0490603f0b982062c7e8bc854104.jpg

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

The number of players could be an issue as you say, so not sure we're in a position to release him.

I think this is the main issue.

Too few players to release anyone. Too many players not up to it to not sign anyone.

Cant sign anyone until players leave. Can let players leave as nobody coming in to replace them in time for games.

Assume TW got told we either sell Kennedy for peanuts or he gets no signings.

Out of interest, is this new chief exec or whatever she is a full time employee? I'm imagining a position like that will command a pretty decent salary.

It would be wonderfully ironic if we haven't made any signings in this window due to taking the wage for 1/2 players, and using that on some kind of "club chief" who's job it is to look after the budget and signings, therefore meaning we can't actually make any signings.

If we do go down then it's entirely self inflicted.

When there was the interview in the Sunday Mail a few weeks ago, folk were irked that this was the first they were hearing of Kirsten Robertson. 

It wasn't as if it was completely clandestine as she'd been introduced to shareholders and indeed her contact details were on the website. 

At the time I thought it was no bad thing there hadn't been a self-promoting fanfare in an industry filled with spoofers but there is clearly a lot of confusion and that's not healthy. 

She is Head of Football Operations and I think a clarification of her role probably would be helpful. Inadvertently or not, she's been hung out to dry here. That could be fair, it might be totally unjust, but it stems from a lack of wider acknowledgement of her presence and what it entails. 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

When there was the interview in the Sunday Mail a few weeks ago, folk were irked that this was the first they were hearing of Kirsten Robertson. 

It wasn't as if it was completely clandestine as she'd been introduced to shareholders and indeed her contact details were on the website. 

At the time I thought it was no bad thing there hadn't been a self-promoting fanfare in an industry filled with spoofers but there is clearly a lot of confusion and that's not healthy. 

She is Head of Football Operations and I think a clarification of her role probably would be helpful. Inadvertently or not, she's been hung out to dry here. That could be fair, it might be totally unjust, but it stems from a lack of wider acknowledgement of her presence and what it entails. 

She said this...

Screenshot_20200125-074731_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f8dc13d82405c7b834488c570ec36295.jpg

... and later talks about making signings at Kilmarnock...

Screenshot_20200125-074818_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf773d6bf1d23d917b6843cf03c2dce2.jpg

... so easy to assume, since shes saying she has the same role as at Kilmarnock as she has here, and she finalised signings there, that she'll be doing the same here.

Then you see her say this...

Screenshot_20200125-074946_Chrome.thumb.jpg.befe9fc10f10f49035ca1f2bae269ae4.jpg

... add in the fact she royally fucked up Kilmarnocks transfer window in the Summer which ultimately saw her leave. 

Its hard to not direct your gaze her way when looking at a fall guy, even if you try not too.

What is happening in Perth reminds me of our January 2015 transfer window, lose your best player to Aberdeen late in the window. We did sign players, but one of them was Yoann Arquin. It didn't end well.

One consolation is that at least your existing squad is infinitely better than ours was then.

I said as much last night. But it’s a fickle sport and if we can get a win today and results tomorrow go our way, all of a sudden things start to look up. McCart gets brought in next week and we sign 2 midfielders on loan and then the gloom is lifted. First thing we have to do is get a result today and then the off field issues becomes less of an issue

The biggest irony of all this is we have a top 6 budget this year and no money left, an unbalanced squad which is now thin again and the manager desperately trying to punt players here there and everywhere. Just shows how much that budgets been mismanaged.

I'm less enamoured with the appointment if she's to do with the football side.  I presumed she was brought in to oversee the day to day running of the club so Brown could step back a bit. Probably been posted already, i hadn't read it, so for anyone else that missed it here's the article on Kirsten Robertson:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstones-head-football-kirsten-21229989

She saw 10 different managers at kilmarnock but seems particularly keen to align herself to Steve Clarkes success.  Comes out with all the usual cliches about community and promotion stuff, time will tell if we see any improvement.

Surely an HR person is only involved in negotiating the deals once the manager has identified his signing targets?  Just slightly concerned when I read about her signing two players one window, be interested to know how much control she has over that side of things.

Interesting comment which maybe partly explains the selling of Kennedy: "this season we spent a lot more to try to ensure a top six return"

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm less enamoured with the appointment if she's to do with the football side.  I presumed she was brought in to oversee the day to day running of the club so Brown could step back a bit. Probably been posted already, i hadn't read it, so for anyone else that missed it here's the article on Kirsten Robertson:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstones-head-football-kirsten-21229989

She saw 10 different managers at kilmarnock but seems particularly keen to align herself to Steve Clarkes success.  Comes out with all the usual cliches about community and promotion stuff, time will tell if we see any improvement.

Surely an HR person is only involved in negotiating the deals once the manager has identified his signing targets?  Just slightly concerned when I read about her signing two players one window, be interested to know how much control she has over that side of things.

Interesting comment which maybe partly explains the selling of Kennedy: "this season we spent a lot more to try to ensure a top six return"

I read that stuff about 'signing players' as a bit of overclaim on her part, in that I woud imagine she did contract negotiation of target players but within the financial constraints set out by the board. I feel that the second part of that will still be the biggest issue. Brown may well have 'stepped back' but he'll still control the money through budgeting and delegated authorities. Whether or not she's any good at the contract side of stuff, who knows, but the Killie fans seemed unimpressed. 

You don't believe for one second that Steve Clarke would have let anyone make decisions about which players were being targeted do you?

In any case, budget for player wages aside we're not been a very good 'employer brand' for talent. Yes, you get top tier football but you'll get bigger crowds at the top of the Championship, there's nothing special about our coaching infrastructure, last couple of years Europe's a distant dream, we have a notoriously challenging chairman, the insides of the stadium are dated. Oh, and if you're Scottish you're not getting picked for the national team. In fact the best that you can hope for as a player is what Matty Kennedy's done ... a move up to a bigger club and in an international squad. I would say that Wright, as a manager, has been one of the few assets that have helped to draw players here as he seems like a boss you'd want to work for.

I would have thought that a big part of the Head of Football  job would have been on improving our ability to attract and retain quality players. Doesn't seem to be going welll but I guess midnight next Friday is the time to judge that. 

19 minutes ago, SJFC2612 said:

Kevin Nisbett of Dunfermline is fairly smashing the goals in. We should use the money from Kennedy and try get him. Give them Kane as a sweetener 😄

From what I've seen of him, which isn't very much admittedly, he reminds me of on-form Stevie May in the way he plays. Smart player, gets in really good positions, decent but not spectacular finisher but gets enough chances. Good penalty taker. Still young enough to improve too. 

I expect he'll move up a division in due course, maybe even to us if we're still Premiership next year, but he's not a lone striker as far as I know so we'd still have the same problems. Can't see Dunfermline letting him go while they're still in the playoff race either. 

Selling a key assest at such a vital time in the season when you've got so much to play for would be ludicrous. 

Oh.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

26 minutes ago, SJFC2612 said:

Kevin Nisbett of Dunfermline is fairly smashing the goals in. We should use the money from Kennedy and try get him. Give them Kane as a sweetener 😄

He'd require a fee. 

I don't think we've paid a significant fee in the last decade. Last one being the double deal for Dave Mackay/Murray Davidson for a mammoth £50k.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely no chance St Johnstone are paying the fee.

I don't think anyone genuinely believes we will, its just blind optimism something positive will happen.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'd require a fee. 

I don't think we've paid a significant fee in the last decade. Last one being the double deal for Dave Mackay/Murray Davidson for a mammoth £50k.

Greatest signing in Scottish Football history imo