Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

But doesn't this strike you as unbelievable? He's the best player at the club and yet you seem to suggest that while we're extending the contracts of Clark, Booth, Tanser, Kerr, McCann, Craig and others we somehow overlooked Kennedy?

Don't you think a more realistic view might be that the club was advised that the player wouldn't commit until the transfer window? Wouldn't that explain why we didn't offer him a deal?

When it comes to Saints' transfer dealings, anything "according to the manager" is best ignored.

It makes zero sense, yet its what's being said. Can only go on what gets said and a trustworthy Saints journalist, the manager, and player, have all said the exact same thing.

I think the chairman said differently at the meeting but I didnt go so dont have that knowledge.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

We obviously don't know the whole story here. The chairman did say at the meet the fans event that he'd tried to speak to Wright and Kennedy's agents in the summer and neither one of them were interested in speaking to him then. Whether he (or Robertson since) continued to try is probably neither here or there in the grand scheme of things - he was always likely to leave at the end of of his contract, and was almost certain as soon as Aberdeen were able to put an offer to him.

The strategy of bringing in younger players is presumably with a view to bringing them in, developing them and then selling them on whilst we're in a position of power. It may be the case that these 2 year deals need to become 3 year deals for that to be a truly effective strategy. McCann, Clark and Kerr have signed longer term deals from within the club since the signings of Wright and Kennedy so it's maybe something we'll see in action this summer.

In other news, Callachan going out surely means we can now get a player in. Hopefully we're down the line with someone so that can happen quickly.

Then for every Matt Kennedy signed, you get a David McMillan or Stefan Scougall on a three year deal where it doesn’t work out and you’re stuck with the wage until you can move them on. 

I think either way we’ll end up with players signed for too long we no longer require, or we want to keep players who end up free to leave.

Its not easy to get it right, as signing any new player is always a gamble.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Then for every Matt Kennedy signed, you get a David McMillan or Stefan Scougall on a three year deal where it doesn’t work out and you’re stuck with the wage until you can move them on. 

I think either way we’ll end up with players signed for too long we no longer require, or we want to keep players who end up free to leave.

Fair point. We’d still have scougall now probably in the scenario. 

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You're in between a rock and a hard place. We were there for years but had with a bigger budget so were giving shite like Stephen Hughes a much bigger wage than the level he should have been at.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Surely the answer is 2 year contract then club has option of extending by a year written into original contract.

Can't wait for next January when Kennedy comes back.

Anyway. Say we  only get Callachan shifted.

What's more pressing? Defensive cover or another striking option?

Edited by The Saintee

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think the defence is still more pressing, just. Would love to get someone in for both positions before the window closes though!

I've come and gone on this, but agree. We'll stay relatively safe if we keep up the clean sheets and we know that won't happen if it's the Wallace & Maddis show.*

I also swither between thinking we just need an experienced journeyman as cover, vs a proper player that can compete for a place but also give us a back 3 option to bring Tanser back in as a wing-back. Possibly less of a thing now that Matty's staying on. 

There's no reason to think that we'll score any more goals in the second half of the season than we have so far. 

If we have budget for 2 players, I'd be thinking something like 30% on a defender and 70% on a striker on the basis that a reasonable backup CB will help us not lose games but I can't see us winning many with what we have. Next year could be Hendry's year and I expect May can help with that development, but it would be great to get a different type of striker in there too, to give us options. 

Appreciate we may have to lose at least another player, probably Swanson, to make that happen financially.

* I just gave myself the utter fear that Kerr and Gordon both get injured at the same time. 

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

Defenders

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

21. Anthony Ralston (20) – 2020 – on loan from Celtic

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) – 2022

5. Madis Vihmann (23) – 2020 – on loan from Flora

3. Scott Tanser (24) – 2021

24. Callum Booth (28) – 2020

Midfielders

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

19. Jason Holt (26) – 2020 – on loan from Rangers

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2023

Wingers

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

33. Matty Kennedy (24) – 2020 – signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

Out on loan

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 – on loan at Raith Rovers

4. Ross Callachan (25) – 2020 – on loan at Dundee

16. David McMillan (30) – 2020 – on loan at Falkirk

Thought I'd post the squad list for the rest of the players, removing the players out on loan at other clubs. Also added a wingers section because we have so many of them.

We've currently got 22 first team players at the club. 2 of those listed are probably surplass to requirements (Vihmann and probably Swanson). I'd also like to see Wallace Duffy go out on loan and playing for a full time club in the championship or league one to get experience. The strikers have scored 5 league goals between them and that defence, aside from Kerr, Gordon, Booth and Tanser, gives me the fear.

In an ideal world, I'd like a centre back, a right back and another striker. Minimum requirement is an experienced centre back obviously - as that is what the manager has constantly identified - and we're probably aspiring for the striker. I can't see a right back on the horizon.

Edited by Kyle

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Goin just stop with your negative shite please.

Are you really expecting us to make an instant signing? If we’ve learned anything recently it’s that it’ll be a long drawn out process and that’s only if the wages freed up by callachans departure are enough to sign anyone 

Just now, Dick Van Dyke said:

Are you really expecting us to make an instant signing? If we’ve learned anything recently it’s that it’ll be a long drawn out process and that’s only if the wages freed up by callachans departure are enough to sign anyone 

I wasn't on about just that one post, more that if some c**t is going to see the bad in every situation, it's you. Lighten up m9.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worst part is you cant even twist Dick Van Dyke into something sad (thinking along Sadford lines). 

A well chosen username.

Just call him Darren. He prefers that 👀

20 hours ago, The Marly said:

Your real name is Darren Patterson isn't it emoji23.pngemoji23.png

20 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Sack the board folks. 

😂😂