Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I can see that happening but then you get into the realms of pervense incentives. Depending on the length / terms of the contract, you could get to a position where as a player it's almost better to get relegated or at least it makes no odds, and with a release claus as well it would leave him a free agent. That would be utterly hilarous to see Matty swan off to the Hearts relegation party, pick up a big payday and end up back at either Aberdeen or even Saints next year. 

Being selfish the 'sign a contract now and immediately loan back' model would, I think, be a good option for all parties if we're allowed another loan from a premiership team (not sure that we are, Random's usually on top of the regulations). 

If he signs a PCA then you don't need to loan him. He's still yours until the final day of his contract.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

If he signs a PCA then you don't need to loan him. He's still yours until the final day of his contract.

That's of course true, but if the deal needs a wee bit extra to defend against a crazy Hearts is what I was thinking. 

Can a player take a payment for signing a PCA? Can't imagine that you can take payment from a rival club whilst playing for another, but then again that's sort of how loans work. 

41 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's of course true, but if the deal needs a wee bit extra to defend against a crazy Hearts is what I was thinking. 

Can a player take a payment for signing a PCA? Can't imagine that you can take payment from a rival club whilst playing for another, but then again that's sort of how loans work. 

I don't think we'd sign him to loan him back. We'd either sign him and take him now or on a PCA. If he'd rather take a bigger wage now from Hearts instead of wait until the Summer where he'd get the Euro games and any bonuses that come with that etc then we'd probably rather not have him.

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

wait until the Summer where he'd get the Euro games and any bonuses that come with that etc 

Ooooafft, bookmarking the f**k out of that.

It's like the buses for the final all over again.

Edited by tree house tam
Adding a bit

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

You're being deliberately difficult here.

I've agreed the power sits with Kennedy ultimately. Hearts are trying to influence his decision by forcing him to choose now. How much of an impact that has only Kennedy will know.

St Johnstone accepting a January bid changes the dynamic here, I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that. 

I'm refusing to accept that Kennedy will change his mind because he'll be moving 6 months earlier to a worst team, who might have a new manager by next season.

Never mind the fact Hearts are offering us someone who is free to leave them. We could sign Berra for nothing tomorrow, so what benefit is his inclusion in the deal worth?

I'm refusing to accept that Kennedy will change his mind because he'll be moving 6 months earlier to a worst team, who might have a new manager by next season.
Never mind the fact Hearts are offering us someone who is free to leave them. We could sign Berra for nothing tomorrow, so what benefit is his inclusion in the deal worth?

This is becoming a nonsense as we’re arguing different things.

I’m not opining on the value of the deal to saints or Kennedy. I’m just saying hearts are attempting to get an edge on us by making it happen now.

You’re arguing that there’s no reason for Kennedy or saints to accept it, which you’re probably right about.

6 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Being selfish the 'sign a contract now and immediately loan back' model would, I think, be a good option for all parties if we're allowed another loan from a premiership team 

Sure the rules allow 4 domestic loans, only restriction is a maximum 1 per club from within your division, and 2 per club from clubs outwith your division. On that total number of 4, I can never remember if that's just the amount you're allowed at one time, or if that's the total amount you're allowed over the league season. Loans from other countries dont count towards that total as they're technically transfers.

Either way we'd be fine to loan a player from Aberdeen. I'm sure St Mirren, as an example, had Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers loanees all at the same time last season.

9 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Alan Forrest to replace Kennedy next would be ideal.

The Twitter rumour mill seems convinced Scott Wright is headed our way either now, or in the Summer, but I'm not entirely convinced how that would work.

Just now, akuram said:

As long as he scored more than the last import from Aberdeen.

Tbf Kennedy only has one more goal than him this season...

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Twitter rumour mill seems convinced Scott Wright is headed our way either now, or in the Summer, but I'm not entirely convinced how that would work.

So long as he's fit again Wright would be a good signing, gives it his all and has decent skill on the wing.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

So long as he's fit again Wright would be a good signing, gives it his all and has decent skill on the wing.

We've tried to sign him a few times before tbf.

Your only worry would be how well hes recovered from his injury. Hes not even training yet.