Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ideally we'd be signing a centre back who could actually run though.

He's quicker than our first choice striker. If we're spending Berra wages, they should be going on an attacking option especially as it looks likely we're losing Kennedy. 

If we want an experienced but fundamentally knackered CB next year Anderson is a better option. We don't need someone as expensive as Berra for cover for half a season and there's no way we'd be starting him ahead of Kerr and Gordon. If we can get him comfortably within budget, then I'm for it, but I don't see him being good value. 

2 minutes ago, Templar said:

Irish club St Patrick's Athletic are interested in signing midfielder Danny Swanson and striker David McMillan, who are both out of favour with St Johnstone. (Scottish Sun On Sunday)

Best post this week.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

He's quicker than our first choice striker. If we're spending Berra wages, they should be going on an attacking option especially as it looks likely we're losing Kennedy. 

If we want an experienced but fundamentally knackered CB next year Anderson is a better option. We don't need someone as expensive as Berra for cover for half a season and there's no way we'd be starting him ahead of Kerr and Gordon. If we can get him comfortably within budget, then I'm for it, but I don't see him being good value. 

A CB is far more important than a striker/forward, and wingers are ten a penny on loan deals. I doubt Anderson will be playing football again, fwiw.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A CB is far more important than a striker/forward, and wingers are ten a penny on loan deals. I doubt Anderson will be playing football again, fwiw.

I don't think I expressed myself well. I was saying that Berra will be poor value due to his high wages. I agree we need a CB but we don't need to be spending at that level IMO. 

If we can afford what Berra's on, we need that up front. Agree with your point on wingers but it's a striker that we're needing. 

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I don't think I expressed myself well. I was saying that Berra will be poor value due to his high wages. I agree we need a CB but we don't need to be spending at that level IMO. 

If we can afford what Berra's on, we need that up front. Agree with your point on wingers but it's a striker that we're needing. 

Ah fair enough, agree that Berras wage, at a pure guess, would be quite high considering the role he'd be playing and he likely wouldnt accept just a 6 month contract, so it's not a deal that is appealing. If anything, I suspect if we give him an 18 month deal, this time next year we'll be moaning about how much of the budget we're spending on him.

But its getting a bit desperate now. We need to sign a CB who can play at this level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

If you forget the fact it's Berra for a second. Consider this.

The team massively adrift at the bottom of the league are desperately trying to offload an error prone centre half on considerable wages. Concerns are being raised about his age, pace and injuries.

Remind me again why we are interested?

How many top flight quality experienced CBs are folk expecting to be willing to join Saints as a third choice defender in January?

If the club cant find anything else after 3/4 months of checking, then Berra is at least better than nothing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

How many top flight quality experienced CBs are folk expecting to be willing to join Saints as a third choice defender in January?
If the club cant find anything else after 3/4 months of checking, then Berra is at least better than nothing.

Remind me why we keep having to move players out before we can sign others?

4 minutes ago, Bose said:

Remind me why we keep having to move players out before we can sign others?

I fully agree we shouldn't be giving Berra a big wage, and a 6 month deal is far better than an 18 month deal regardless.

But we cannot go the next 6 months with Duffy and Vihmann as the CB back up. We just cant. If Berra is the only option, then that's surely better than the alternative? 

I fully agree we shouldn't be giving Berra a big wage, and a 6 month deal is far better than an 18 month deal regardless.
But we cannot go the next 6 months with Duffy and Vihmann as the CB back up. We just cant. If Berra is the only option, then that's surely better than the alternative? 

If he is the only option we have failed yet again with our scouting/identification of players.

Just now, Bose said:

If he is the only option we have failed yet again with our scouting/identification of players.

I dont disagree at all.

Worth remembering it's just rumour just now though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

But Berra is not a top flight quality centre half these days, as seen by the fact he’s a stand out liability in an absolute dog meat side. Surely there has to be better available? 

Absolutely this. He's arguably a better option than Estonia or Duffy but that's a very low bar indeed. 

Despite his admirable career, on this season's evidence he's one of the worst defenders in the division. 

Maybe, just maybe, he could play in the middle of a back 3 but that's about it. 

We don't need to be spending at his wage level for cover.