Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Nail on head. Club always kept cards close to their chest and only a fool would think we have not been carrying out due diligence on potential options for Jan 20 and June 20

You'll have to forgive me for not trusting a club who went into this season with Wallace Duffy and Madis Vihmann as our only CB back up.

45 minutes ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, Kyle said:
I agree with RandomGuy to be honest. We absolutely need a defender and spending £40k on one for a few months and staying up is surely better than keeping the £40k in our pockets now but potentially losing out on millions if/when we get relegated in the summer. 
I think we need to approach things much differently in the summer. We’re obviously going to have more money spare than we did in 2019 but we also have to at least try and engage with supporters even during spells of  quiet behind the scenes. The amount of Ill will on social media which really festered in the summer past is still underlying  and I think it’s why so many fans jumped on the bandwagon so quickly, especially when the Stevie May deal collapsed.
Still, there’s 24 days left in the window. I’d like to see something... ANYTHING... happen before Morton so that we can build some positivity going into the cup campaign. 

I don't disagree with BawbagGuy in this instance, but how do we know that the club isn't close to getting something over the line? No news doesn't mean nothing's happening.

Here’s hoping! I’d imagine we have some irons in the fire but if we are waiting for people to leave before we get people in then it’ll no doubt be the deadline day or just before again before we sign anyone. It’s fine if players hit the ground running but it can’t be relied on - unfortunately the first half of the season just past is testament to that. 

40 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
45 minutes ago, The Marly said:
I don't disagree with BawbagGuy in this instance, but how do we know that the club isn't close to getting something over the line? No news doesn't mean nothing's happening.

Nail on head. Club always kept cards close to their chest and only a fool would think we have not been carrying out due diligence on potential options for Jan 20 and June 20

People were saying the same in June and July 19 (including me!). Until the tail end of August, our only signings were Elliot Parish, Wallace Duffy, Madis Vihmann and Max Johnstone. Hopefully you’re right and we get better players in more quickly this time round. 

Edited by Kyle

People were saying the same in June and July 19 (including me!). Until the tail end of August, our only signings were Elliot Parish, Wallace Duffy, Madis Vihmann and Max Johnstone. Hopefully you’re right and we get better players in more quickly this time round. 
I'm sure if they don't it won't be from the lack of trying.

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

"McInnes plans to hold face to face talks with Kennedy when the Don's return from Dubai next week"

Apparently they've already offered him a deal. 

Bye Matty. 

And, by all accounts, we hadnt even talked to him until this week.

It's just embarrassing. 

Should we off Kennedy a new deal?

Definitely! His contract runs out in 12 months, when should we do it?

Let's wait until the final 5 months, and then hold off until another club comes in with an offer we cant get near.

Sounds good.

We have very little chance of keeping him anyway, but I've no fucking idea why we made it impossible for ourselves by waiting until he could speak to other clubs before, you know, offering him something ourselves.

There we have it @perthsaint1977, wasnt you I was having a go at, just been told by a couple of people today that we're not signing anyone unless players go out.

This can help explain why I'm pissed off tonight. No lessons learned from the Summer it seems.

I have some sympathy for the club here. Wright has been given a decent budget but has wasted it on shite and luxury players. I do think it's a bit short sighted of us to rule out signings until we get players out though. Callachan, Swanson etc won't earn as much at their next club so they'll probably be hard to shift.

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I have some sympathy for the club here. 

I've not, this Summer felt like pure arrogance that we could get through the Groups in the Cup, and start the league well, despite the glaring weaknesses in the squad. We didnt resolve the main one (centre back) at all, and the other (striker) hasnt helped us at all.

If they assume they can get through this window without signing anyone (I know its massively unlikely, but theres a chance if we're waiting on Swanson etc. walking away), then theyve learned absolutely nothing.

The manager has talked for the past three months about signing a new defender. Its staggering that a week into the window hes not allowed to sign one because we're paying Danny Swanson a wage for the next 5 months.

Compare us to the nearest team to us, St Mirren, who have identified they needed more depth at the back and something different in attack. 7 days into the window theyve signed two CBs and a winger who can play both sides. Question the quality if you want but at least they're proactive.

Edited by RandomGuy.

There we have it [mention=54832]perthsaint1977[/mention], wasnt you I was having a go at, just been told by a couple of people today that we're not signing anyone unless players go out.
This can help explain why I'm pissed off tonight. No lessons learned from the Summer it seems.
I will go with my sources rather than a journalist but knock yourself out. Have a go at me any time you want btw. No issue with that.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

You've surely offered him something but he wasn't interested in signing at that point. Face saving exercise from both.

The player said two weeks ago there had been no talks yet. He also claimed he was happy to stay.

Last week our manager said you and St Mirren had told us you planned to talk to him, that we hadnt spoken to him yet and we were planning to do so this week.

I never expected him to extend his deal with us, at any point of his contract, it's just the way the club constantly show themselves up, publicly, as such an amateur outfit.

What sort of club admits they havent bothered trying to get their best player on an extended contract until hes already spoken to bigger clubs?

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've not, this Summer felt like pure arrogance that we could get through the Groups in the Cup, and start the league well, despite the glaring weaknesses in the squad. We didnt resolve the main one (centre back) at all, and the other (striker) hasnt helped us at all.

If they assume they can get through this window without signing anyone (I know its massively unlikely, but theres a chance if we're waiting on Swanson etc. walking away), then theyve learned absolutely nothing.

The manager has talked for the past three months about signing a new defender. Its staggering that a week into the window hes not allowed to sign one because we're paying Danny Swanson a wage for the next 5 months.

Compare us to the nearest team to us, St Mirren, who have identified they needed more depth at the back and something different in attack. 7 days into the window theyve signed two CBs and a winger who can play both sides. Question the quality if you want but at least they're proactive.

The summer was shite but the manager was eventually allowed to sign 7 players. There's an argument that each has either underperformed, is a back up or isn't up to scratch. Bearing in mind we already had McMillan, Anderson, Callachan and Swanson on the books, that's a lot of wasted resource for a club our size.

On 29/08/2019 at 22:18, PauloPerth said:

He was asked about trying to tie up Kennedy and Wright now, he said we will be trying but Kennedy's agent will be trying to tout him round the bigger clubs so will hardly listen to us just now, and when asked why we didn't try to extend Drey in the summer, similar, his agent wouldn't even have talked to Saints, and if he finds form clubs down south will be all over him.

There is enough to highlight about our identification and recruitment approach without these bizarre claims that they sit counting down the clock before approaching players. 

If the agent won't talk to Saints, there isn't much they can do. 

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

The summer was shite but the manager was eventually allowed to sign 7 players. There's an argument that each has either underperformed, is a back up or isn't up to scratch. Bearing in mind we already had McMillan, Anderson, Callachan and Swanson on the books, that's a lot of wasted resource for a club our size.

By the time they signed folk we were already bottom of the league and out the cup.

Of the deadline day signings Jason Holt was the only player they intended to wait on. Ralston a signing of circumstance purely due to Foster being punted. We didnt sign a left back until Bury died and Booth became available. By all reasoning the club/manager wanted to head into this season with Tanser, Foster and Duffy as full back options, and Kerr, Gordon and Vihmann as centre back options. That's what gives me the fear.

6 hours ago, Radford said:

There is enough to highlight about our identification and recruitment approach without these bizarre claims that they sit counting down the clock before approaching players. 

If the agent won't talk to Saints, there isn't much they can do. 

We've known for 12 months this situation was possible, and this time last season knew relegation wasnt going to be an issue. We shouldve been asking the question for the past year, especially when we were flying.

I cant find any logic, at all, on the agents part to only talk to us after hes aware of Aberdeens offer/talked to Aberdeen. Everyone knows we cant get near their offer so it's not as if itll help him negotiate a better deal there. Far more likely to me we've waiting until November/December time to ask to arrange talks, and the agents planned it for this week incase hes not received a better offer by now. I doubt this time last year he wouldve held off as long if we'd offered a decent pay rise. 

Instead we paid cash money to loan Sean Goss.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I cant find any logic, at all, on the agents part to only talk to us after hes aware of Aberdeens offer/talked to Aberdeen. 

I can't find any logic in an agent – knowing he's got the club's best player on his books – to allow Saints to broker a deal before he's seen what else is on offer at this stage of the season. He wouldn't be doing his job if he did.

This situation happens year-in, year-out and not just with us. I'm amazed people get vexed about it afresh every year. Players make positive noises about wanting to stay, but that's all it is: noise. They'll do what agents tell them to do.

Edited by Mr Heliums

A lot of that comes from the club not having the correct structure in place. They still don't and as far as I can see aren't about to. If you don't run it like a proper professional team and more like a glorified pub team what do you expect?

This was in reply to Randoom.

Edited by tree house tam