Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:
Interesting article in Sunday Mail on our Head of Football operations Kirsten Robertson.
She is quoted as saying Stevie has taken a step back and entrusted her with running the club and she is going to be making changes.
Some of her ideas have already been tried at McD, eg.  free tickets to schools - which has not seen a sustained increase in home support.
Time alone will tell if her appointment will be beneficial to Saints or indeed if Stevie will reign her back in

She's got her head screwed on. Very hands on person who is in process of understanding the business from top to bottom. Met with her a few times since she started. Lots of experience from her time at killie.

Edited by perthsaint1977
typo

She's got her head screwed on. Very hands on person who is in process of understanding the business from top to bottom. Met with her a few times since she started. Lots of experience from her time at killie.

This pleases me. I think we need new blood and fresh thinking. Not that I have anything against Steve Brown, on the whole I think he is doing a decent job, but we need to start thinking outside the box.

The simple fact is that if Steve Brown wants to scale back his involvement (which he should feel more than entitled to), he's going to need to put some trust in someone else. 

His own quotes from the infamous interview maybe explain why so many people (with various titles and descriptions) have come and gone in his 8 years.

Can he change what is his nature though? Everyone benefits if he can, none more so than himself. 

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, Templar Saint said:

Some of her ideas have already been tried at McD, eg.  free tickets to schools - which has not seen a sustained increase in home support.

No, but I can assure you that it has brought many kids - and parents - into the ground who would not otherwise have been there and there was some nice community engagement work around it (players visitiing schools etc). I'm not saying that they've all become lifelong Saints fans because of it. You also have to rememeber that we don't actually charge for under 12s so there's no lost sales value. 

That type of initiative, against a trend of downwards attendance, is never going to have a significant impact on a game by game basis. It's about lifetime consumer value. 

Glad to see it back but it's not going to put extra hundreds into the Ormond on a weekend. 

31 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

This is interesting.

Have I been living under a rock or have Saints not made public that we now have a Head of Football Operations?

When did she appear??

Only mention I've ever seen of it before now was a comment on WAP about November time.

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

She definitely has experience, but she was absolutely despised at Killie by the time she left.

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

She definitely has experience, but she was absolutely despised at Killie by the time she left.

Anything in particular she done to warrant that?

She was Michael Johnston's toady when he was chairman and it was believed that she was responsible for some of the nonsense that went on during his reign. She returned in 2017 as chief executive and from what I've heard from several well-connected fans she wasn't very good at it and caused a fair bit of discontent behind the scenes by overreaching into areas she didn't know much about, particularly on the business side of things. She was then essentially demoted into a role of football executive and didn't last much longer. Nobody seemed at all upset that she had left.

I'm struggling to remember specifics now, but perhaps some others can fill in the details.

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Are you suggesting Motherwell's second place finish literally going down to the last kick of the ball that season meant nothing?

No i said that season the loss of rangers away support likely affected the average, i meant that any team which is stranded at the bottom of the top 6 or the top of the bottom 6 could see a drop in their end of season attendances because their games are effectively meaningless 

Its just a reasoned guess, ST holders are one thing but asking people to come to the game and buy a ticket on the day, when said game has absolutely no bearing on the clubs season, is a hard sell for any club

Imo there is too many variables to compare average attendances over a number of seasons to base an accurate assumption

7 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Christophe Berra anyone? 

We got rid of Steven Anderson for a reason, lets not replace him with a more expensive, equally past it, CB.

Christophe Berra pretty much ticks all of Tommy Wright's past signing profile boxes. Hugely experienced both at this level and in general, good past pedigree.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Christophe Berra pretty much ticks all of Tommy Wright's past signing profile boxes. Hugely experienced both at this level and in general, good past pedigree.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him.

Would he instantly become our 3rd top goalscorer ahead of Chris Kane?