Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

A lot of people posting up average attendances etc etc, tbh unless there are two exact same seasons in terms of fixtures etc then the comparisons aren't really good, 

For example, a motherwell says there average attendance dropped the first season rangers werent in the top flight from the season before, thats surely a given with the amount of fans the OF take to away games

And even for games against non OF games, playing ross County at home on a sat in september or playing them at home midweek in december will be a marked difference in travelling support (not having a go at all against county fans, just using them as the travelling distance is huge), im guessing most teams best home games can be affected simply depending on when the fixtures are

As for st johnstones new plan, the fact they have tried other methods to fill their ground and it hasnt worked has obviously led them to this drastic measure, its clearly something they dont want to do or they'd have done it years ago, 

6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

For example, a motherwell says there average attendance dropped the first season rangers werent in the top flight from the season before, thats surely a given with the amount of fans the OF take to away games

Except that's not what I said. I made the comparison between the season your club went out of business (we finished 3rd - Rangers 2nd) and a season we finished 10th. The difference was 69, both those seasons had Rangers and Celtic in the top flight.

The season after, with no Rangers in the league, we finished 2nd it was a drop of 759 from the 10th placed season and 828 from the season prior. Which as you say can be attributed to one half of the Old Firm having gone to the wall.

Of course there are variables but in terms of a general overview it's fairly illustrative of numbers through the gate.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Except that's not what I said. I made the comparison between the season your club went out of business (we finished 3rd - Rangers 2nd) and a season we finished 10th. The difference was 69, both those seasons had Rangers and Celtic in the top flight.

The season after, with no Rangers in the league, we finished 2nd it was a drop of 759 from the 10th placed season and 828 from the season prior. Which as you say can be attributed to one half of the Old Firm having gone to the wall.

Of course there are variables but in terms of a general overview it's fairly illustrative of numbers through the gate.

As far as the opposition influencing attendance figures goes, this year will be quite interesting for us with neither of the Dundee clubs in the league. Not only do they generally bring decent crowds (how big entirely depends on how they're going at the time - Dundee United have been known to bring 3500+ when they're on form) - but they're games that our support turns out for as well.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

As far as the opposition influencing attendance figures goes, this year will be quite interesting for us with neither of the Dundee clubs in the league. Not only do they generally bring decent crowds (how big entirely depends on how they're going at the time - Dundee United have been known to bring 3500+ when they're on form) - but they're games that our support turns out for as well.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You posted up an average for a season you finished 3rd then a lower average for a season you finished 2nd when rangers weren't there, isnt that what i said as well 

Also could the reason that you had a higher average the season you flirted with relegation is because the games meant something, the fans knew it and gave their support when it was needed, 

I can just imagine for teams that are either miles clear of relegation but in the bottom six, or miles away from euro slots, but in the top 6, that post split fixtures will see a good drop in attendances because the games are effectively meaningless

10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Not a derby though. Oh no. 

Am I right??? 

Not a derby though. Oh no. 
Am I right??? 

These games have much more interest for us than Rangers/Celtic and much nicer supporters.
We miss both of them badly.
Look at the crowd we take to Dens or Tannadice.
We should just give them the whole stadium.

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

You posted up an average for a season you finished 3rd then a lower average for a season you finished 2nd when rangers weren't there, isnt that what i said as well 

Also could the reason that you had a higher average the season you flirted with relegation is because the games meant something, the fans knew it and gave their support when it was needed, 

I can just imagine for teams that are either miles clear of relegation but in the bottom six, or miles away from euro slots, but in the top 6, that post split fixtures will see a good drop in attendances because the games are effectively meaningless

Are you suggesting Motherwell's second place finish literally going down to the last kick of the ball that season meant nothing?

7 hours ago, the west curve said:

St Johnstone  are selling their soul to the devil. I will never go back there now. Bigots should be stopped and not encouraged. Shame on Brown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17575610

Pipe down. Kilmarnock fans have the brassest neck going coming in here pretending it's some crime against humanity when just a few years ago they voted to do the exact same thing. 

But aye, one good year had all your wee glory hunting fans scurrying back, let's see what happens after a few seasons in the bottom half again.

22 minutes ago, Dele said:

I wouldn't worry about @the west curve, tbh. He was claiming Killie are making £200,000 off of O'Donnell going to Oxford whilst the player himself will get a massive signing on fee along with £8,000 per week. 

Theres a mass of them on Twitter demonising Saints fans for this, claiming it's an absolute certainty if we cut OF allocation more home fans would come as it worked for them (for one season, off the back of their best season in a decade), just flat out ignoring their own club does the same when it suits, and that we tried cutting OF allocation and it had no positive effect.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a mass of them on Twitter demonising Saints fans for this, claiming it's an absolute certainty if we cut OF allocation more home fans would come as it worked for them (for one season, off the back of their best season in a decade), just flat out ignoring their own club does the same when it suits, and that we tried cutting OF allocation and it had no positive effect.

Just goes to show how slow this time of year is that a story that's basically 'club responds to supply and demand' has been the main news item. Of course we should sell empty seats to folk that are willing to pay for them. 

As others have said though the much bigger issue is why teams see thier home crowds fall when they play the biggest teams in the league, when these should be the marquee games with the best players in the country on show and the chance to compete with them. Of course the answer is 'because toxic bigotry and appalling behaviour that drives fans out of thier own stadium', but it will never be addressed. We just have to make the best of a bad lot and hope that we can put the extra money to good use ('good use' being actions that ultimately encourage more home support and/or more revenue/on-field success). 

Let's just get on with signing a striker please. 

Interesting article in Sunday Mail on our Head of Football operations Kirsten Robertson.

She is quoted as saying Stevie has taken a step back and entrusted her with running the club and she is going to be making changes.

Some of her ideas have already been tried at McD, eg.  free tickets to schools - which has not seen a sustained increase in home support.

Time alone will tell if her appointment will be beneficial to Saints or indeed if Stevie will reign her back in

38 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Nah everyone on holiday

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Interesting article in Sunday Mail on our Head of Football operations Kirsten Robertson.

She is quoted as saying Stevie has taken a step back and entrusted her with running the club and she is going to be making changes.

Some of her ideas have already been tried at McD, eg.  free tickets to schools - which has not seen a sustained increase in home support.

Time alone will tell if her appointment will be beneficial to Saints or indeed if Stevie will reign her back in

Is there an online copy of this?