Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

No, my point is that even though they are shite and successless they are still receiving a greater support than us. I haven't checked but I'm also guessing Falkirk are doing better than us as well despite their lowly position. Okay, both are slightly bigger clubs than Saints but it's still a total embarrassment.

You expect Saints to make a loss again this season and the that the club anticipate this. I do not agree with trying to correct/mitigate a loss by selling out to the Old Firm. It is a miserable, pathetic short term solution to a problem that isn't going away. Where do you draw the line? Shall we wait until we have 1000 season ticket holders? 500? Shall we give away a corner of the West stand to the OF in future as well?

We desperately need to attract more Saints fans to McDiarmid. Surely a long term solution should be prepared to help make this happen? What will the club do if we suffer relegation and there's no more visits from the Old Firm - where's that money going to come from?

Perth people have lost and are losing the faith in St. Johnstone home games and who can blame them? Home games are fucking shite in every way possible. Something needs to change, it will not change by letting the bigots take over McDiarmid.

And how long do they wait? We're shipping money and have been for years. Any chance of catching a large group of fans has gone.

They can't spend the next 5 years hurling more money down the drain every season in the hope home fans start re-appearing, theres just zero signs of that happening.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

And how long do they wait? We're shipping money and have been for years. Any chance of catching a large group of fans has gone.

They can't spend the next 5 years hurling more money down the drain every season in the hope home fans start re-appearing, theres just zero signs of that happening.

Defeatist attitude. 

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

2016/17 saw a profit without player sales/cup wins. You’ve literally posted the figures yourself, and yet are still claiming things that take two minutes to see is untrue in the hope nobody is going to pull you up on it. 

Our accounts for 16/17 say in them the profit was due to the MOH sale.

Untitled.png.dfc43ac3bfb6fbb6e3869c326dec0711.png

This is the accounts for 14/15 talking about the May and Ryder Cup income...

2.png.354a228380f474a3d1f9a7011575c0e3.png

Please continue "calling me out", though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Read it properly. Michael O’Halloran was sold in February 2016, his transfer was accounted for in the accounts to the period 31 May 2016. 

Not my fault if you are incapable of basic comprehension. 

Was just editing my post to admit misreading the MOH bit. But...

"This years financial performance (£49k profit) was further bolstered a substantial amount as a result of distribution from UEFA"

... is just being ignored?

We don't make money on anything you can rely on.

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I don’t think it’s particularly helpful to completely dismiss legitimate non-financial concerns as coming from people that don’t go to games/ or are from people who are ‘thick.’ 

I can only apologise for that, it's something I regret saying and one I didnt particularly think about when I typed it.

Easy to insult people online in the heat of the moment.

Regardless of what we're thinking, rightly or wrongly it's now done and we'll just have to decide if it was the right decision later on in life. 

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Another terrible post, double down and call me a c**t ffs. 

I'll leave that to Tam. I'm in a good mood tonight.

In less good news, Coventry City are being linked to Matty Kennedy down South.

6 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Fan zones near McDiarmid - the fan zones for the Europa League games were great. Bring them back, sell alcohol and food, get people up to the ground before they decide to just stay in the pubs in Perth.

I can't even begin to imagine how hilariously tragic a fan zone outside Mcdiarmid would be. There would be more life at Chernobyl. 

6 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

I can't even begin to imagine how hilariously tragic a fan zone outside Mcdiarmid would be. There would be more life at Chernobyl. 

^^^Hasn't been to a European night, the fan zones actually worked. The bit of grass up at the gates would be ideal. A small stage for bands, tables and chairs, part covered and a bar with catering/bbq, all fenced in with door staff to keep out undesirables, maybe even a pound entry fee for adults. Only open it when we want/need/have weather. Something along the lines of this

Screenshot_20200104-072117_TripAdvisor.thumb.jpg.53b1db9aff7daf7d0cecc6028819651a.jpg

Without the dodgy chairs obviously,  change them to wooden benches and tables

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

As a ground I find it utterly soulless.

That's because you always get pumped m8.

9 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

No, my point is that even though they are shite and successless they are still receiving a greater support than us. I haven't checked but I'm also guessing Falkirk are doing better than us as well despite their lowly position. Okay, both are slightly bigger clubs than Saints but it's still a total embarrassment.

You expect Saints to make a loss again this season and the that the club anticipate this. I do not agree with trying to correct/mitigate a loss by selling out to the Old Firm. It is a miserable, pathetic short term solution to a problem that isn't going away. Where do you draw the line? Shall we wait until we have 1000 season ticket holders? 500? Shall we give away a corner of the West stand to the OF in future as well?

We desperately need to attract more Saints fans to McDiarmid. Surely a long term solution should be prepared to help make this happen? What will the club do if we suffer relegation and there's no more visits from the Old Firm - where's that money going to come from?

Perth people have lost and are losing the faith in St. Johnstone home games and who can blame them? Home games are fucking shite in every way possible. Something needs to change, it will not change by letting the bigots take over McDiarmid.

Jama you're a Saints fan and I love you for it, but everytime these type of debates come up you argue from some utopian head in the clouds position. You even argued at the time of the north stand proposal that we should be seeking to make McDiarmid Park bigger, not smaller.

You don't go to many games, which is 100% up to you how you spend your time and money, but you go on and on about how shite our support is. Our support is shite because of the thousands of fans like you.

For many Saints fans, routine league matches hold little interest and it's the big occasion of a semi-final, a European night or a decent away cup match needed to bring folk along.  Again it's absolutely individual choice. People's viewing habits to Saints have changed massively the past couple of decades.  Spoilt for success, to much football on tv, too expensive etc might all be factors but it's where we're at.

I'm all for trying new ideas, fan zones etc, but it can be done even with this current decision to give more OF tickets.  I have my doubts routine matches on a cold wet Saturday in Letham against Hamilton, Accies, Livingston etc are going to draw in huge numbers of folk to events like that, but until we try it who knows?

We're a stable mid table (hopefully) club playing the same teams season after season, as someone jokingly suggested, until something dramatic happens like we get relegated and are down for a few seasons to build up excitement at the prospect of playing in the Premiership, or the OF f**k off and we are part of a genuine title race, I can't see our support changing that much.  Just got to accept reality.

FWIW theres a rumour we're only doing this as we're struggling to ship out players and the guaranteed 6 figure income allows us bring in at least one more wage. With the increased prize money and United coming up, itll be back to reduced allocation next season if we stay up, but the "happiness of the fans" will be cited as the reasons. 

PR masterclass while also milking the dregs for all they're worth.

Also heard Callum Hendry is on £20k a year basic.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Jama you're a Saints fan and I love you for it, but everytime these type of debates come up you argue from some utopian head in the clouds position. You even argued at the time of the north stand proposal that we should be seeking to make McDiarmid Park bigger, not smaller.

You don't go to many games, which is 100% up to you how you spend your time and money, but you go on and on about how shite our support is. Our support is shite because of the thousands of fans like you.

For many Saints fans, routine league matches hold little interest and it's the big occasion of a semi-final, a European night or a decent away cup match needed to bring folk along.  Again it's absolutely individual choice. People's viewing habits to Saints have changed massively the past couple of decades.  Spoilt for success, to much football on tv, too expensive etc might all be factors but it's where we're at.

I'm all for trying new ideas, fan zones etc, but it can be done even with this current decision to give more OF tickets.  I have my doubts routine matches on a cold wet Saturday in Letham against Hamilton, Accies, Livingston etc are going to draw in huge numbers of folk to events like that, but until we try it who knows?

We're a stable mid table (hopefully) club playing the same teams season after season, as someone jokingly suggested, until something dramatic happens like we get relegated and are down for a few seasons to build up excitement at the prospect of playing in the Premiership, or the OF f**k off and we are part of a genuine title race, I can't see our support changing that much.  Just got to accept reality.

Agree with most of what you say Paulo but I'm not having we play in fucking Letham !!! Letham starts at the southern part of the crieff rd, I'd even go as far as putting a trump style fucking wall there.

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Agree with most of what you say Paulo but I'm not having we play in fucking Letham !!! Letham starts at the southern part of the crieff rd, I'd even go as far as putting a trump style fucking wall there.

Uy9gQNS.gif.4c130268616e683fe65fb8bce565e6c0.gif

That’s not true. I only said I didn’t want the capacity reduced when there was talk of knocking down the stand.

I live over 2 hours away from Perth therefore it’s definitely not shite because of people like me. There’s plenty of other people in Perth and surrounding settlements that aren’t going to games. I’m not giving them a hard time for not going because I completely understand why they wouldn’t want to go.

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

There’s plenty of other people in Perth and surrounding settlements that aren’t going to games. I’m not giving them a hard time for not going because I completely understand why they wouldn’t want to go.

Not for me, we've been one of the best sides in the country for the past decade. What more do people expect from a football club?

I cant agree at all with you if you genuinely believe the reason football fans in Perth are ignoring that is because we dont "have a great fan experience", "sell the club"., or that an extra £3 a fortnight is pricing them out.

Falkirk have a dreadful side in a seaside league, a board that everyone despises and who regularly insult the fans, scrapped their youth academy which offended the fans, and a three stand stadium where the empty side steals any atmosphere, yet still maintain their crowds higher than us. What are they doing successfully to get that support that we're not?

Edited by RandomGuy.

It’s not the owners fault or the fault of the fans, fans are just bored as there’s nothing to play for. They will come back if you go down as you will have a title to compete for and it’ll be exciting times again.  
You need to start losing games, thanks. 

Although obviously a bit tongue in cheek but HeartsOfficialMoaner has a point. In some ways Saints are victims of their own success. I’ve experienced quite a few promotion and relegation battles I’ve seen crowds grow when there is something to play for. Top six battle or even a game with European qualification at stake aren’t that exciting after playing in Europe and winning the cup.

4 minutes ago, Bose said:

Although obviously a bit tongue in cheek HeartsOfficialMoaner has a point. Having experienced quite a few promotion and relegation battles I’ve seen crowds grow when there is something to play for. In some ways Saints are victims of their own success. Tip six battle or even a game with European qualification at stake aren’t that exciting after playing in Europe and winning the cup.

Our fanbase seems different. 

12/13, this is the table.

Screenshot_20200104-114749_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b7b803f39d6c244e4a83cf519dff6cf.jpg

Our next two games are home games against ICT and County. The crowd didn't breach 2500 for either game.

We got over 5000 for the final game against Motherwell.

It just suggests the fair weather fans only come out for the big day.

Did we even sell 5000 tickets for the Scottish Cup Semi?