Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

It's a different culture though, they spend hours before NFL matches eating burgers out their pick ups. Americans buy into that whereas it doesn't seem to work here.
90% of Scottish clubs have falling crowds, if it was easy to sort most wouldve done it by now.

Where can I find the evidence for 90% of Scottish clubs have falling crowds?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a different culture though, they spend hours before NFL matches eating burgers out their pick ups. Americans buy into that whereas it doesn't seem to work here.

90% of Scottish clubs have falling crowds, if it was easy to sort most wouldve done it by now.

Which is why I said he'll have cherry picked the ideas he'll feel can work.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/i-want-fans-to-stand-free-new-dons-chairman-reveals-plans-for-red-army-revolution11/

What there screams NFL matches eating burgers out of their pick ups?

You go and watch your team. I go and watch my team. We'd both be chuffed if ticket prices were reduced. I guarantee we'd both manage to think up 5 pals who wouldn't bother taking either of us up on the offer of a season ticket if you can't make a game.

He’s responding to mountains of feedback that going to pittodrie is shite. He’s not imposing any sort of culture (yet, admittedly).

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Which is why I said he'll have cherry picked the ideas he'll feel can work.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/i-want-fans-to-stand-free-new-dons-chairman-reveals-plans-for-red-army-revolution11/

What there screams NFL matches eating burgers out of their pick ups?

You go and watch your team. I go and watch my team. We'd both be chuffed if ticket prices were reduced. I guarantee we'd both manage to think up 5 pals who wouldn't bother taking either of us up on the offer of a season ticket if you can't make a game.

Interesting quote...

Another plan is to move season ticket holders out of the Richard Donald Stand upper tier. Mr Cormack said: “This stand costs us money to open for 300 season ticket holders and holds 3,000 people.

“We’re going to shut that, as we did before, and we’ll let the fans decorate it.”

... so your magically wonderful forward thinking chairman, and his incredible innovative plans, include closing  a section of your stadium and forcing season tickets to other parts of the stadium for every single home game.

Yet you're on here berating Saints for moving their season ticket holders for 3 games a season.

Just remember folks, next time your club tries to be ambitious and bring new exciting initiatives to your club to make match days a more exciting experience - it will probably not work here because we don’t spend hours eating burgers out of our pickups. Same in Germany as well, spend hours upon hours eating bratwursts out of their pickups. Crazy ideas. Would never work here.

IMG_1578089984.996039.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bose said:

Where can I find the evidence for 90% of Scottish clubs have falling crowds?

It was a vague figure plucked out my arse, the point was simply the majority of clubs seem to struggle financially due to a lack of crowds/income. If that could be resolved by simply spunking a fortune on "enhancing fan experience" then the businessmen who successfully run multi-million pound clubs would've thought about it and implemented it by now.

Are there any examples of it happening in Scottish football? Or any real examples of crowds rising lately?

Just now, jamamafegan said:

Just remember folks, next time your club tries to be ambitious and bring new exciting initiatives to your club to make match days a more exciting experience - it will probably not work here because we don’t spend hours eating burgers out of our pickups. Same in Germany as well, spend hours upon hours eating bratwursts out of their pickups. Crazy ideas. Would never work here.

IMG_1578089984.996039.jpg

Just remember, the club regularly puts up table football stands, has face painting, and has players in the stand pre-match, all advertised fairly heavily on Twitter and FB, yet the Family Stand is still absolutely dead every single game.

The family deal will be the next thing to be culled.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Anyone want to take a guess who said this four weeks ago...? 

3849CF9B-276A-41DF-B198-AFC4AE8C5D13.jpeg

That was about our transfer policy and lack of scouts. It has literally nothing to do with crowds.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Apart from the part where you explicitly say ‘the crowds haven’t risen.?’ 

What point are you trying to make? That I said 6 months ago that crowds hadn't risen and I'm still saying it? 

It was a vague figure plucked out my arse, the point was simply the majority of clubs seem to struggle financially due to a lack of crowds/income. If that could be resolved by simply spunking a fortune on "enhancing fan experience" then the businessmen who successfully run multi-million pound clubs would've thought about it and implemented it by now.
Are there any examples of it happening in Scottish football? Or any real examples of crowds rising lately?

I’m not a marketing expert however it seems to me that Saints have concentrated all their efforts on pricing. I’m not saying football isn’t expensive but it’s not the be all and end all. I also think that their targeted demographic has been well intended but misguided. Families? Basically based on they are the fans of the future. I would argue that targeting teenagers and making things easier financially for adults is more likely to have a positive impact. Positive fan experience doesn’t have to be American style tailgating. For example safe standing seems to be enhancing people’s enjoyment.

Crowds growing? Fans of other teams seem to be saying that their attendances are growing or at least stable. What are Motherwell, Kilmarnock or St Mirren doing? It’s seemed to me for a long time now that football has rested on it’s laurels for too long now. Ach they’ll always support us, they’ll always come to games.

Having said all this, at Muirton Saints regularly pulled in about 12-1500, second tier granted, so perhaps we are returning to that.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

That you have been saying all day that saints can’t do any more to attract supporters, and yet you listed, 4 weeks ago, multiple issues you have with Saints not trying to attract additional supporters or get existing ones to go more regularly. Your posts made four weeks ago, especially the second one, directly contradict everything you’ve so passionately defended about Saints today. 

I've not said they couldn't do more, the Cup Final was a huge opportunity they missed.

I'm saying that the decision to allow more OF fans in is due to fans not turning up, especially for those games, and forcing the board to act. The schemes the club have tried have all failed to get results.

8 years of lower OF allocation = Ends in less than 1500 home fans

Family fee of £16 for years = Family stand barely breaking 3 figures most weeks

They gave out free tickets to schools for the St Mirren game = Crowd was up 1k on average, next game? Dropped 800.

They have tried. The folk who don't go that I know are more than aware of these deals/situations but simply don't care.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting quote...

... so your magically wonderful forward thinking chairman, and his incredible innovative plans, include closing  a section of your stadium and forcing season tickets to other parts of the stadium for every single home game.

Yet you're on here berating Saints for moving their season ticket holders for 3 games a season.

He's talking about closing a section of the ground which is the upper deck and housing no-one there except for high demand games. This is to create a better atmosphere so fans are not dotted about all over the ground. Something the club implemented previously with success.

I haven't berated St Johnstone. I said I understand your point but that reducing ticket prices yet offering the exact same product is unlikely to work. To then place the blame on the fans for the clubs decision is poor decision making. You've then went on the defensive and coming up with nonsense like the above rather than acknowledge any of the points I've made.

4 minutes ago, Bose said:

I’m not a marketing expert however it seems to me that Saints have concentrated all their efforts on pricing. I’m not saying football isn’t expensive but it’s not the be all and end all. I also think that their targeted demographic has been well intended but misguided. Families? Basically based on they are the fans of the future. I would argue that targeting teenagers and making things easier financially for adults is more likely to have a positive impact. Positive fan experience doesn’t have to be American style tailgating. For example safe standing seems to be enhancing people’s enjoyment.

Crowds growing? Fans of other teams seem to be saying that their attendances are growing or at least stable. What are Motherwell, Kilmarnock or St Mirren doing? It’s seemed to me for a long time now that football has rested on it’s laurels for too long now. Ach they’ll always support us, they’ll always come to games.

Having said all this, at Muirton Saints regularly pulled in about 12-1500, second tier granted, so perhaps we are returning to that.

I'm fairly sure most surveys of Scottish football fans claim pricing is the main reason they don't go. Theres plenty of folk who now boycott games and will do until its £20.

Once prices drop to £20, they'll moan about a lack of matchday experience.

When the clubs on reduced income then spend money improving the matchday experience they'll moan about a lack of quality on the pitch.

The club can't win with this.

4 minutes ago, Bose said:

Every child at my daughter's primary school was offered a free ticket to the Aberdeen v St Mirren game with a half price ticket for the adult. That's lovely but you still need to find an adult willing to go. 

This was followed by a sub par performance where we were lucky to win the game.

They'd probably have had more success with the local secondary school which you allude to in your post.