Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Dele said:

Did they send you for tartan paint and a left handed screwdriver, too? 

You must have been quite gullible. Dundee averaged about 7,000 in the 70's.

No was "Way to smart for that" Dele! 7000 you say fucking shite home support for the DEE then must have lost more than they thought then!  

Just now, Dele said:

I've never met an intelligent centre half in my life, you fibber! 😛

You have now ! I remember going to Hibs game one night at Dens that year with guys from the Kingsway tech! fucking sure there were more than 7000 that night or maybe Dens was smaller than I thought! we used to have to clean the floodlights twice a year up those pylons in the wind and rain!       

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t know. How long is a piece of string? No risk - no reward.

My point is they risked finances for 8 years, with lower OF allocations and lower prices for kids, and they got no reward out it. Your solution to this is to spend even more money.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

You say this as if spending money to make money is a ridiculous concept. 

Of course it's not. But there has to be a sensible limit if we're aiming to compete for the top half on our crowds. You can try and justify chucking £1m over 5 years trying to increase crowds, but would it be better spent on that or on the squad?

Managing a club like Saints isnt easy. Doing this bring a guaranteed six figure income in the next 5 months, which could be enough to allow us to sign a first team player, which could keep us up and lead to us getting the increased prize money from next year onwards.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point is they risked finances for 8 years, with lower OF allocations and lower prices for kids, and they got no reward out it. Your solution to this is to spend even more money.

Of course it's not. But there has to be a sensible limit if we're aiming to compete for the top half on our crowds. You can try and justify chucking £1m over 5 years trying to increase crowds, but would it be better spent on that or on the squad?

Managing a club like Saints isnt easy. Doing this bring a guaranteed six figure income in the next 5 months, which could be enough to allow us to sign a first team player, which could keep us up and lead to us getting the increased prize money from next year onwards.

My solution is to spend more money on things that we haven't really done yet at such a scale.

We've had the best decade in our history and the fans are losing interest. This suggests that having a top six side isn't enough to get people to come to McDiarmid.

The club needs to start being ambitious in their efforts to bring people to games because what they have been doing so far clearly hasn't been enough. You have clubs like St. Mirren who are having just a poor a season as us but are consistently getting over 4000 every home game. In November they had 4708 for a game against Ross County. When we played County last week we had 2658. Over 2000 less supporters during the festive season. It's pitiful.

Unless you live in Letham or Tulloch where it's a short walk to the ground, going to McDiarmid Park is a piss poor experience with nothing to offer. They need to offer more to customers to entice them and they need to forge a deeper relationship with the people of Perth. If that means spending a bit of money to turn the city blue and white then so be it. Make people proud of the club again, even when they aren't playing their best.

Edited by jamamafegan

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

You say this as if spending money to make money is a ridiculous concept. 

I can understand the point random is trying to make but to steal from South Park his line of thinking is along these lines:

Reduce ticket prices

?????????

Profit

It's not as simple as that. Lowering prices to watch the same product then blaming the fans is a glaring PR own goal. Contrast that to Cormack. A couple of days in the job here and he's talking about fan experience, things the club can do to make the match day more appealing

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I can understand the point random is trying to make but to steal from South Park his line of thinking is along these lines:

Reduce ticket prices

?????????

Profit

It's not as simple as that. Lowering prices to watch the same product then blaming the fans is a glaring PR own goal. Contrast that to Cormack. A couple of days in the job here and he's talking about fan experience, things the club can do to make the match day more appealing

Let's see how your American owner is doing in a year or two. The last two came in with grand plans and a few years later all theyve done in plough millions into a black hole while out the top tier.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Cormack is aberdonian

Everything I've ever seen him say reeks of this American idea that "fan experience" is a massive thing.

Most Scots would moan like f**k if every game started with a firework display.

As Ewen McGregor aka Renton once said - it is a shite state of affairs. 

I feel for the loyal St Johnstone fans having to defend this decision. Not because I disagree with it more because Scottish Football is so heavily lopsided towards the Old Firm.  Two teams based on bigotry / religion and just young fans wanting to follow successful teams. It cost every top flight side an average of 1000 fans probably more for the likes of Motherwell, St Mirren and Partick.

I would rather they fucked off to a British / European league.  Sure we would lose out on TV revenue and media coverage but it would be worth it. 

Shame it has come to this but clearly St Johnstone cannot afford a top flight side and if they don’t take steps like this they will go down a division sooner rather than later. They actually deserve huge plaudits for their achievements past decade based on such a small fan base. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Everything I've ever seen him say reeks of this American idea that "fan experience" is a massive thing.

It's almost as if an Aberdonian who was on the board moved to America, saw how a brand new outfit engaged with the local fans on what the match day experience should entail and then cherry picked the ideas he feel could work here and decided to slowly integrate them as he gained control of the club 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Merkland Red

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What's wrong with his "American idea" though? Why are you so negative? No wonder you get called BoredomGuy. At least he is ambitious and trying to bring new ideas and excitement to his club. I've been to an MLS game and the pre-match atmosphere was better than anything that I've seen in Scotland. There was a carnival atmosphere, club flags everywhere down the street, guys with drums decked out in strips and scarfs chanting and singing as they marched to the ground.

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's almost as if an Aberdonian who was on the board moved to America, saw how a brand new outfit engaged with the local fans on what the match day experience should entail and then cherry picked the ideas he feel could work here and decided to slowly integrate them as he gained control of the club 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's a different culture though, they spend hours before NFL matches eating burgers out their pick ups. Americans buy into that whereas it doesn't seem to work here.

90% of Scottish clubs have falling crowds, if it was easy to sort most wouldve done it by now.