Kyle

St Johnstone FC Thread

Me neither, so I just don't listen to it instead of rant about how things were better during the war. 

Don’t mention the war.

Wee touch of misfortune about the goal we conceded yesterday, but Aberdeen created so little (we didn't create too much either), that it really should have been a clean sheet for us.

Had a quick look back, and we won 15 matches in the league last season. 14 of those wins were when we kept a clean sheet.  The only exception was just over a year ago when we were beating Accies 2-0 and they pinched a consolation goal. 

We just don't seem to win matches 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 etc for whatever reason.

The defence is looking better, hopefully just a matter of getting them games together, though still some way from looking formidable yet.

Midfield and wide shows great potential.

Not convinced we'll get the best out of May if we're going to stick with this 4-5-1. He's never been a target man, and is worse in the air than either Kane or Hendry. He spent a lot of yesterday hiding behind the centre backs hoping they'd miss it.  I still think either Kennedy playing off him, or a second striker would be a formation that gets May involved far more and plays to his strengths.

I can understand playing our 4-5-1 formation against a tough opponent like Aberdeen yesterday, and next week against Rangers. But I'm hoping we play more positive against other teams around our level. The 3 centre midfielders make us more solid, but leave our striker very isolated.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No.

Best performance of the season, but we've still no back up left back, we're still out a cup, and we're still winless.

It's all fine and well waiting for the right signings, but that doesnt excuse the mess beforehand.

Played better at Easter rd, you should maybe not follow a wee club like us,if you can’t cope without perfection, in your eyes ,and whom caused the mess?

Edited by glenrothes 1884 saint

11 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Right then Dave, less of the told you so shite, let's all get behind the team and hopefully the new signings catapult us to Europe.

Never forget though, never ever forget about Dick van Dyke and his Knickerwetter cronies.

Always have been behind our team,who’s Dave?

6 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Played better at Easter rd, you should maybe not follow a wee club like us,if you can’t cope without perfection, in your eyes ,and whom caused the mess?

Okay, I'll stop supporting Saints after a lifetime of it because I'm disappointed we couldnt beat Forfar and Montrose in the Cup, and have started the league season with no wins in 5.

It's been nice knowing you all.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Okay, I'll stop supporting Saints after a lifetime of it because I'm disappointed we couldnt beat Forfar and Montrose in the Cup, and have started the league season with no wins in 5.

hellogif.gif.8cc115ba7cd3cbcc2b212aede9c8d489.gif

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who would you support instead?

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Who would you support instead?

I'll be a greeting c**t whoever I support, so I imagine I'll just bounce around everywhere.

I think the 'I told you so' pish might be more appropriate when we actually win a competitive match against a team better that the one currently sitting bottom of league 2, tbh. The first 11 looks decent on paper and clearly some encouraging spells but we're second bottom, haven't won a league game (haven't even been in the lead at any point) and have conceded 13 goals in 5 matches.

There's still legitimate concerns to be had about the squad, particularly in defence, and I don't think signing a back up left back will resolve that.

Once we get the Rangers game out of the way, the run of fixtures looks a little bit kinder so we can hopefully put some points on the board and get the confidence back in the side then.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

St Mirren or Dundee for you then.

Was thinking one of the Edinburgh sides would accept me tbh.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was thinking one of the Edinburgh sides would accept me tbh.

Be as well supporting one of the bigot brothers, rather than one of the kiddie on ones.

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think the 'I told you so' pish might be more appropriate when we actually win a competitive match against a team better that the one currently sitting bottom of league 2, tbh. The first 11 looks decent on paper and clearly some encouraging spells but we're second bottom, haven't won a league game (haven't even been in the lead at any point) and have conceded 13 goals in 5 matches.

Very true Kyle.  There seems to be a feeling that it's inevitable we get better, and it's just a matter of when it all clicks into place.  There's no guarantees.

I'd like to stress here that I was never part of the knicker wetting squad over the summer  😑, and think we have the makings of a very good side.  But we've done nothing yet.

Whilst folk say our opening fixtures were against most of last season's top six, only Celtic were in similar form to last season. Hibs, killie and Aberdeen were all poor by last year's standards, and were all there for the taking.

I'm optimistic about the squad we have, and am confident we can start to get the results, but I still have that wee nagging doubt that we might spend some time trying to establish our strongest starting eleven and formation.  With the pish international breaks we have to suffer these days, the first few months of the season can feel disjointed and hard to get any momentum going.  I mentioned a few posts earlier that I don't think 3 centre midfielders with May alone up front is going to get much out of him, as opposed to more of a number 10 type midfielder (Kennedy or Swanson) in support. Time will tell.

I think we should be looking to take something off Rangers next week, as big an ask as that is. We drew through there last season and should have taken at least a point in the home match around Christmas time.  Holt is a big loss though, as he already looks like he'll be a massively important player for us.

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Be as well supporting one of the bigot brothers, rather than one of the kiddie on ones.

Yeh I'd probably go full glory hunter as well. None of your pishy bigot glory hunter or anything, but a team who can win the lot. There's no need to limit yourself to watching that dross get horsed out of Europe every season these days.  I'd maybe go Barcelona or Real Madrid or something.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yeh I'd probably go full glory hunter as well. None of your pishy bigot glory hunter or anything, but a team who can win the lot. There's no need to limit yourself to watching that dross get horsed out of Europe every season these days.  I'd maybe go Barcelona or Real Madrid or something.

Kinnoull for me, just need them to ditch the red.

31 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Anyone for a left back?

Incoming...

His name has been mentioned on here a few times. 

Sowah?