Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

That union flag is tremendous banter material. I'm afraid the upset it causes overrides the negatives. At the end of the day, it's a flag, lads. 

And you are clearly forgetting that Ulster Banner with the Liverpool, Linfield and Saints badges. That's almost so provocative, I think to think it was made up purely for the craic.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I see the player you'd class as the least likely to ever offend anyone has managed to upset the south of Ireland by having the temerity to wear a poppy on his shirt and not look at a flag during an anthem. 

Allan_Mannus.jpg.4e2c3fd9ae17ed5e6778fdbd3834c17c.jpg

Eh?  Surely wasn’t wearing a poppy in supposedly a foreign country. Now that would be proper roaster material but he doesn’t look like he is wearing one. Also national anthems can get to f**k ahead of national cup finals.

11 hours ago, Radford said:

And you are clearly forgetting that Ulster Banner with the Liverpool, Linfield and Saints badges. That's almost so provocative, I think to think it was made up purely for the craic.

No that was a complete fanny being a complete fanny. As for that blue effort mimicking the union jack, minter. 

Gets me frothing though, probably to the point of wrapping it around the owner and setting it on fire tbh.

A few wee ditties which are definitely jinxing us and causing a 9 month winless streak...

EIn8II_XUAUzEJB.png:large

EIowDUdXkAAM9FG.jpg:large

EITkU6qXYAAYuR0.png:large

In essence, we're playing like a top six team, and all we need is for May to start converting the high quality chances he's been getting (statistically, on paper, its just a matter of time before he catches fire), and for Clark to "level out" his save rate as just now its way below average.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, tree house tam said:

I'd like to know where these high quality chances for May are? Apart from the penalty I can't really think of any sitters he's missed.

Chris Kane on the other hand.....

Penalty will heavily influence it, I think.

Another one shows hes getting less amount of shots than the average striker in the league, but the chances he is getting are good ones. Based entirely on other people on the graph, all we need to do is get him one or two extra chances a match and he should start to even out.

Thing is, Stevie May is in the box a lot of the time, it’s not like he’s drifting wide and away from play like he was at Aberdeen. On the other hand, where he used to be so dangerous was actually picking the ball up and just having a go from any old angle. He’s simply not doing that right now and when the ball does get to the box it just isn’t falling for him. Maybe that’s down to luck,l and his team mates not knowing where he’ll go yet. Hopefully, I can see him getting 6/7 goals this season which doesn’t seem all that many, but when you compare it to the league averages for strikers and Tony Watt/Chris Kane’s records last year it isn’t too bad. Throw in Callum Hendry, who’ll probably get similar from the bench and it’s an upgraded strike force.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A few wee ditties which are definitely jinxing us and causing a 9 month winless streak...

EIn8II_XUAUzEJB.png:large

EIowDUdXkAAM9FG.jpg:large

EITkU6qXYAAYuR0.png:large

In essence, we're playing like a top six team, and all we need is for May to start converting the high quality chances he's been getting (statistically, on paper, its just a matter of time before he catches fire), and for Clark to "level out" his save rate as just now its way below average.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

As I consistently say, these same stats had May as having almost zero decent goalscoring chances at Aberdeen, with his entire time there seeing only a handful of shots from within 12 yards. In other words, to have been a regular scorer at Aberdeen, his conversion rate would have to have been better than the likes of Griffiths.

This might be down to him, it might be down to Cosgrove taking up that area of the pitch, but I'm not going to write him off because he couldnt score in a team that isnt built for creating chances.

Before anyone starts, I'm also not claiming his lack of goals is entirely Aberdeens/McInnes' fault, nor that he'll be amazing here. Just that he couldnt find a place in Aberdeens set up to get himself chances, and in his brief time with us, on paper, hes already improving on that. ON PAPER, hes due an upturn in goals, as long as he keeps getting the same chances, or even more chances of less quality.

Edited by RandomGuy.

May is offering us more than just goals. I don't think it's any coincidence that we look a much more dangerous attacking unit with him in the team. He's not the same kind of player that left us in 2014 and wont score anywhere near his old return, but it doesn't mean he's not effective.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As I consistently say, these same stats had May as having almost zero decent goalscoring chances at Aberdeen, with his entire time there seeing only a handful of shots from within 12 yards. In other words, to have been a regular scorer at Aberdeen, his conversion rate would have to have been better than the likes of Griffiths.

This might be down to him, it might be down to Cosgrove taking up that area of the pitch, but I'm not going to write him off because he couldnt score in a team that isnt built for creating chances.

Before anyone starts, I'm also not claiming his lack of goals is entirely Aberdeens/McInnes' fault, nor that he'll be amazing here. Just that he couldnt find a place in Aberdeens set up to get himself chances, and in his brief time with us, on paper, hes already improving on that. ON PAPER, hes due an upturn in goals, as long as he keeps getting the same chances, or even more chances of less quality.

He was missing chances mate. Was hoping his move would get him back amongst the goals but I just think he's finished as a goalscorer at this level. Hope I'm proven wrong as he gave nothing but 100% while he was at Aberdeen but he was definitely better served as the hard working striker who created space for his partner.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

He was missing chances mate. Was hoping his move would get him back amongst the goals but I just think he's finished as a goalscorer at this level. Hope I'm proven wrong as he gave nothing but 100% while he was at Aberdeen but he was definitely better served as the hard working striker who created space for his partner.

Your final sentence is my point. He will miss chances, everyone does, the problem at Aberdeen was he was only getting one, maybe two, decent chances every couple of games. No striker can do much with that at this level, unless it's the elite ones like Morelos, Edouard or Defoe.

My sole point here is that, for us this season, hes due to catch fire and start getting the goals that, statistically, he deserves to be getting.

As Kyle says though, through the old eye test, hes already an upgrade on what we've had since Watt chucked it last season.