Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Shame we've no game tomorrow. 

Is it because of the cup fixtures?

Yes. I'm sure we were meant to be at Ibrox.

Hi,

I’m currently doing a report as part of my coursework for uni and I’m talking about the alienation and commodification in football. My case study is going to be about Wimbledon/MK Dons and how the move alienated fans.

I am also mentioning how this could become a more common theme for teams to move stadium, due to ageing staidums. How did St.Johnstone fans feel about the move from Murton Park to the new stadium in 1989? Any input is appreciated.

The move was before my time so can't offer much in terms of the reaction to it but Muirton was crumbling. I think most of the seated stand had been condemned. 

The club hasn't looked back since McDiarmid was built but moves like the one Saints made are rare in Scottish football. I think until St Mirren in 2008 or 2009, St Johnstone were the only team that had managed to move (i.e. a new site) to a four-sided stadium that they fully owned.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those that lived through the move to it and what the feelings were.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

The move was before my time so can't offer much in terms of the reaction to it but Muirton was crumbling. I think most of the seated stand had been condemned. 

The club hasn't looked back since McDiarmid was built but moves like the one Saints made are rare in Scottish football. I think until St Mirren in 2008 or 2009, St Johnstone were the only team that had managed to move (i.e. a new site) to a four-sided stadium that they fully owned.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those that lived through the move to it and what the feelings were.

I think the main stand was closed in the wake of the Bradford fire. There was huge sentimental attachment to Muirton, but the move was a great business deal for the club and I think seen as a leap forward. Had a bit of a lump in my throat at the last game though.

11 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

I think the main stand was closed in the wake of the Bradford fire. There was huge sentimental attachment to Muirton, but the move was a great business deal for the club and I think seen as a leap forward. Had a bit of a lump in my throat at the last game though.

The main stand wasn't closed but maybe some of it was - I remember sitting in the stand in one of the later games in the final season at Muirton.

I think there was more a feeling of excitement at moving to a brand new stadium. Worth remembering that most stadiums in the country were complete dumps with terrible facilities. I think Pittodrie and Kilbowie were the only other all-seater stadiums at the time.

Hi,
I’m currently doing a report as part of my coursework for uni and I’m talking about the alienation and commodification in football. My case study is going to be about Wimbledon/MK Dons and how the move alienated fans.
I am also mentioning how this could become a more common theme for teams to move stadium, due to ageing staidums. How did St.Johnstone fans feel about the move from Murton Park to the new stadium in 1989? Any input is appreciated.
Great - a chance to talk about the good old days. Without the move and the arrival of Geoff Brown, there is every chance that St Johnstone would have ceased to exist. The ground move allowed the club to attract better players and eventually we saw the return of full time football to Perth.
Everything that has been achieved since then has been down to the move to McDiarmid and the astuteness and influence of Geoff and then Steve Brown.

Our younger fans don't realise how close we came to losing our club before then, but they love when us old-timers tell them all about those hard times. Particularly@RandomGuy.

The old ground gave us some great times and memories. However it was crumbling and no longer fit for purpose.

Of course having such a successful first season at McDiarmid helped massively in coming to terms with the loss of Muirton.

My brother took me to Muirton for the first time.   Everyone took a leak against a wall on the south side like a urinal with no drainage.  Lots of excitement about the move to McDiarmid along with the climb to the top level and it's great when full.    Nowadays I miss the character of old stadiums while time spent in Central and Eastern European stadiums fill that void.... along with the flares and a certain edge.

23 hours ago, Widge said:

Ahh the gallant Nick McKoy who could ever forget!

Googled his name to see what he was up to, and apparently he was banned from football entirely in 2014 for match fixing in Australia. 

An utterly pointless post, but there we go.

Thanks very much for all your feedback guys, will be really helpful for my report. When I researched the St.Johnstone stadium move I thought it was a great deal for them at the time too, especially with being an Airdrie fan and our stadium move contributing greatly to the club liquidating. 

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

What would have happened if we didnt move to McDiarmid & the taylor report came along?

I suppose we'd have something like old St Mirren park with seats on the enclosure & news stands behind the goals.

We would probably be like Ayr United tbh. Shackled to a crumbling ground, scraping by trying to build stands on shitey terracing (like tannadice), while all the time trying to compete on the pitch. What a shite existence that would have been, it's taken a while but I'm warming to Mcdiarmid. Now if we had that on muirtons location...

6 hours ago, tree house tam said:

We would probably be like Ayr United tbh. Shackled to a crumbling ground, scraping by trying to build stands on shitey terracing (like tannadice), while all the time trying to compete on the pitch. What a shite existence that would have been, it's taken a while but I'm warming to Mcdiarmid. Now if we had that on muirtons location...

I agree, our out of town location has had an effect on crowds.

McDiarmid is in a far better position for visiting fans, and out of Perth Saints fans, than Muirton.

The only issue for a lot of people will be the distance to the train station, which is almost as bad as Muirton would be, and the distance from the city centre pubs, and again Muirton isnt even that close to it anyway.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McDiarmid is in a far better position for visiting fans, and out of Perth Saints fans, than Muirton.

The only issue for a lot of people will be the distance to the train station, which is almost as bad as Muirton would be, and the distance from the city centre pubs, and again Muirton isnt even that close to it anyway.

You weren't there man.

I see the player you'd class as the least likely to ever offend anyone has managed to upset the south of Ireland by having the temerity to wear a poppy on his shirt and not look at a flag during an anthem. 

Death wishes and all sorts but the last laugh goes to Alan Mannus as he saves a shoot-out penalty as Shamrock Rovers win FAI Cup final. 

Allan_Mannus.jpg.4e2c3fd9ae17ed5e6778fdbd3834c17c.jpg