Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

21 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

When you say ‘last year’, are you talking about the fantastic run we went on? Or the bad one? Or our final position in the table which was better than expected for a team with our budget? The performances were poor at times, yes, but this is a results business and we finished in a reasonable position

Clearly as I said coming up for a year I am talking from the turn of the year.

You might think it was better than expected for me with the start and team top half was minimum better than expected would be 4th or 3rd

In the end seventh may be seen as reasonable but we all know that team was better than that.....

Yeah we're done. The whole team gave up the moment we conceded today, and the second half was genuinely abysmal. So many times we had the ball and attacking with it, yet nobody was moving, all just standing staring. 

TW sounds like hes given up aswell.

Paying the price for poor squad building. That has to be a worry as if/when we go down, we'll likely be looking at having to sign the majority of a new squad. Probably over reacting as the results still fresh, but if we go down with this squad, it feels like itll be years upon years before we can recover from what will be left.

Spend the whole summer focussed on signing a striker who has barely scored in 4 years, can't win headers and can't play as a lone striker.

Blast a big proportion of our available budget on signing him to the detriment of the rest of the squad, stick him up front on his own.  

Pad out the defensive options with a 20 year old whose never played a first team game, and a lad from another country that you've seen play once. Loan out one of your few experienced defenders, one of the biggest earners, to a team two divisions below.  I don't give a f**k what anyone says, Steven Anderson would have made a big difference in that team today. We definitely need a big nasty centre back right now who'll kick folk and dominate them. There must be a free agent available somewhere.

One man is to blame for this debacle. And no way should he be sacked. He should be made to stay and sort this fucking mess out!!

FWIW, I think on average you need at least 36 points to survive.

We need to pick up 32 points from our next 29 games.

At a guess we need to win at least 8, probably 9, of those 29. Take out the OF games as we dont seem to win those anymore, then you're potentially looking at 9 wins from 25 games.

We've picked up 5 from our last 25, with 2 coming against an abysmal Dundee.

In other words, I think we're already down. I have zero faith in the defence allowing us to win that many games from this position.

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Spend the whole summer focussed on signing a striker who has barely scored in 4 years, can't win headers and can't play as a lone striker.

Blast a big proportion of our available budget on signing him to the detriment of the rest of the squad, stick him up front on his own.  

Pad out the defensive options with a 20 year old whose never played a first team game, and a lad from another country that you've seen play once. Loan out one of your few experienced defenders, one of the biggest earners, to a team two divisions below.  I don't give a f**k what anyone says, Steven Anderson would have made a big difference in that team today. We definitely need a big nasty centre back right now who'll kick folk and dominate them. There must be a free agent available somewhere.

One man is to blame for this debacle. And no way should he be sacked. He should be made to stay and sort this fucking mess out!!

Our defence all season have been awful. I agree that we so miss two big centre backs not two young lads. Even Joe is badly missed. Our recruitment has been very poor, to many wee players, what we should have been signing were a couple of big centres. When we line up before a game the other team always look like our big brothers.

We are going down.

27 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't give a f**k what anyone says, Steven Anderson would have made a big difference in that team today. We definitely need a big nasty centre back right now who'll kick folk and dominate them.

Anderson was done. He was never a leader and never able to dominate big strikers. The biggest loss with him was off the field.

The mistake was not replacing him.

We were discussing May today post match and can't help but draw comparisons with Shankland. 5 years ago he was the saviour of Scottish striking but today he looked emptied. Shanks will end up the same. Our strikers have been rank rotten this season but today looked light years ahead of May. He looks shot !

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anderson was done. He was never a leader and never able to dominate big strikers. The biggest loss with him was off the field.

The mistake was not replacing him.

Anderson now would have fared better than what I saw of Vihmann and young Duffys performance today.  He's only 33.  

Feel sorry for Duffy, he's being thrown into a situation and position he's not ready for yet through no fault of his own.

Oakley at Hamilton has given our defenders a tough time physically the past couple of matches, so I wonder if Tommy will consider bringing big Maddis back in next week.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Anderson now would have fared better than what I saw of Vihmann and young Duffys performance today.  He's only 33.  

Feel sorry for Duffy, he's being thrown into a situation and position he's not ready for yet through no fault of his own.

Oakley at Hamilton has given our defenders a tough time physically the past couple of matches, so I wonder if Tommy will consider bringing big Maddis back in next week.

Anderson struggled against Billy McKay and Ross Stewart physically this season, and big strikers backing into him has always been a weakness of his. It feels like total straw clutching to be thinking he'd be improving anything here, in saying that having him in there talking folk through the game might help. Too late for that now anyway.

Duffy is young and raw, and it shows, I feel sorry for him. Kerr just cant cope with the pressure of being the main defender. Clark is an absolute nightmare just now, a complete disaster. 

Was listening to Radio Scotland on way home from work tonight and one of the pundits seemed to be called JIM and Knew St Johnstone well having been there according to the Presenter,

anybody have an  idea who it was I have been trying to think  who Jim was,?????  

Today was absolutely abject. What I'm really struggling with here is that in 6 out of 8 games we could genuinely say that the team played OK, but didn't get the result. But that was by far and away the worst I've seen so far this year. So much for coming back off the break with a bounce. 

For me a 'tell' is when Matty Kennedy reverts back to that player that tries to take on too much himself. When the team are playing as a unit he has the confidence to let the ball go. It wasn't happening today. The passing and movement were absolutely shocking to be honest, so many balls into space where nobody was running, balls over-hit from the back. MOH helped when we came on but it's no use when none of our players seem to know where each other are going to be. Absolutely basic stuff like who is on corners put them into confusion. 

Pretty much every single player today was honking. Zander was dire, the defence absolutely out of their depth and nothing in attack firing. I was one of those who were sceptical about May, but in the air today he was simply dreadful. 

Hate to say it but the lack of energy, fight and cohesion in the team does seem to point to something not being right in the dressing room and in training. Going 4-4-2 just seemed to cause even more confusion. None of the players seemed remotely interested. 

I've been fairly balanced until today, as the performances gave some hope and I honestly thought we were turning this around. Not any more, we're 50/50 for automatic relegation and I'd not be very confident in a playoff against a top Championship that would scrap every second. 

BTW not sure if anyone has commented on this but the boy Davies that plays for Hamilton was on the 'View from the Terrace' last night and he did a quick-fire Q&A. When he was asked who was getting relegated he immediately and confidently said St Johnstone. I was quite surprised with how definite he seemed to be. Now of course he can't say Hamilton but still ... it freaked me out a bit but on today's performance he's dead right. 

56 minutes ago, Center half said:

Was listening to Radio Scotland on way home from work tonight and one of the pundits seemed to be called JIM and Knew St Johnstone well having been there according to the Presenter,

anybody have an  idea who it was I have been trying to think  who Jim was,?????  

James McFadden. 

If Saints get rid of Tommy Wright I can see us quickly going back to being a yo-yo club in the Ross County/ICT/Dundee vein. 

It’s incredibly important to think rationally at times like this, and he has proven he’s a manager of the highest standard.

Since taking over from Lomas (so ignoring a third placed finish in his first full season at the club) we’ve finished sixth, fourth, fourth, fourth, eighth and seventh. That’s exceptionally good, and even the eighth and seventh placed finishes would have seen us the envy of similarly placed clubs in the country. That sort of consistency for a club our size and with our budget is a testament to the job he has done.
I wasn’t there today, but I’ve seen enough to know there is talent and points in this group of players. Hibs, Aberdeen and Ross County were all well rounded performances, and the points will come.

Sacking him would be incredibly short sighted in my opinion, and  could see us lose all the momentum we have gained in the last 13 years. 

For those wanting him gone, who replaces him? 

My concern is that we go cheap to replace him, and end up with a McCoist, or a heavily inexpert manager who wouldn’t have the experience to deal with a relegation battle.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

If Saints get rid of Tommy Wright I can see us quickly going back to being a yo-yo club in the Ross County/ICT/Dundee vein. 

It’s incredibly important to think rationally at times like this, and he has proven he’s a manager of the highest standard.

Since taking over from Lomas (so ignoring a third placed finish in his first full season at the club) we’ve finished sixth, fourth, fourth, fourth, eighth and seventh. That’s exceptionally good, and even the eighth and seventh placed finishes would have seen us the envy of similarly placed clubs in the country. That sort of consistency for a club our size and with our budget is a testament to the job he has done.

I wasn’t there today, but I’ve seen enough to know there is talent and points in this group of players. Hibs, Aberdeen and Ross County were all well rounded performances, and the points will come.

Sacking him would be incredibly short sighted in my opinion, and  could see us lose all the momentum we have gained in the last 13 years. 

For those wanting him gone, who replaces him? 

To be fair he has done all this by and large with a core of players not his own. I know that sounds derogatory and its not meant to, he has done a fantastic job....but.....

We need to rebuild the team agakn and, I don't think he is a good enough judge of a player to rebuild a team