Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I agree that what is holding us back if anything is a lack of support but equally, do the club work hard enough to attract fans? In particular lapsed supporters? 

There STILL appears to be very little in the way of a database, something fans have been suggesting for about 20 years. 

It's not about turning water into wine overnight. Can you get folk that pay into a dozen games to buy a season ticket, can you get those that go to a handful of games of attend a few more, can you get those that have completely lost the habit back in through the gates for a game or two. It all adds up. But it'll never happen whilst you just plough on at £24 (or whatever it is) for every game. 

The club appear prepared to think long-term when it comes to the Ormond Stand and free U12s but employ none of the same thinking when it comes to other demographics. 

Season tickets are great value for money but they don't push them nearly enough. Creating one video isn't enough. They should be screaming about the savings and if you can get season tickets sold then, obviously, folk are more likely to turn up. 

Starting the week with a moan about Saints. Glorious.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

I agree that what is holding us back if anything is a lack of support but equally, do the club work hard enough to attract fans? In particular lapsed supporters? 

There STILL appears to be very little in the way of a database, something fans have been suggesting for about 20 years. 

It's not about turning water into wine overnight. Can you get folk that pay into a dozen games to buy a season ticket, can you get those that go to a handful of games of attend a few more, can you get those that have completely lost the habit back in through the gates for a game or two. It all adds up. But it'll never happen whilst you just plough on at £24 (or whatever it is) for every game. 

The club appear prepared to think long-term when it comes to the Ormond Stand and free U12s but employ none of the same thinking when it comes to other demographics. 

Season tickets are great value for money but they don't push them nearly enough. Creating one video isn't enough. They should be screaming about the savings and if you can get season tickets sold then, obviously, folk are more likely to turn up. 

Starting the week with a moan about Saints. Glorious.

Gary will fix it.

Dinamo minsk Gary.

Seeing a lot of Perth based rangers supporters posting photos with rangers players online outside the stadium.

Wish there was a way we could make it as difficult as possible on match days for the away fans to take photos with their players. Just for the sheer pettiness
Kill their players?

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah, we'd just pander to them further. 

A group of them climbed the fence from the cremmy road and walked across our training pitch. The gate was obviously locked at the stadium end as, you know, it's a secured private area. The stewards reacted by just letting them in. There were also a group of Rangers fans in the Main Stand who had home tickets, the stewards reacted by finding seats for them amongst the Rangers support in the Ormond.

I'm surprised we dont just let them have the whole fucking stadium at this point, could even change the seats to read "Rangers" and have their badge placed on the corner flags.

We have 1 of the smallest allocations for Rangers/Celtic fans so it always leads to issues with them in our end.

I'm not too bothered they come in our end as long as they sit there and don't draw attention to themselves.

The way I look at it Falkirk fans don't buy the seats so I'd rather get the cash from them buying them than the seat lying empty.

Of course this is different to what you said that they acted like cocks and drew attention to themselves. Not cool

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

We have 1 of the smallest allocations for Rangers/Celtic fans so it always leads to issues with them in our end.

I'm not too bothered they come in our end as long as they sit there and don't draw attention to themselves.

The way I look at it Falkirk fans don't buy the seats so I'd rather get the cash from them buying them than the seat lying empty.

Of course this is different to what you said that they acted like cocks and drew attention to themselves. Not cool

I’d rather the seat lay empty than some ugly *** sitting in it, polluting the oxygen.

24 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

16 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’d rather the seat lay empty than some ugly *** sitting in it, polluting the oxygen.

Fully agree with Bonksy. 

My experience with Rangers fans at matches is that they cannot win a match without needing to gloat about it. It seems to be impossible. Ride us 4-0 on Sunday, yet they all spend their time squawking about it as loud as they can on the way out of the stadium, as if we didnt just witness it ourselves.

Lifes losers

I’m absolutely sick of Saints fans suggesting we give another stand to the OF and we’ll just take the Main stand. It’s absolute weasel behaviour. Alienate the home support even more durning times when our support is already absolutely pish, all for the sake of an extra “£350,000” or so. f**k right off. “We need the money” apparently, even though we’re doing absolutely fine money wise at present and also did fine when rangers were punted to the 3rd. I’m glad the lack of information on the Saints website prevented me from joining the database and getting a ticket for the game, what a waste of money that would have been. Club is a shambles and needs a firm boot in the sack, I would say that the boot would come in the form of relegation - but even that wouldn’t be enough for them to get their arse in gear.

Ironically one of the smallest allications for the two sets of c***s is when they visit each other.

I find it quite bizarre that fans that don't go along to games against the OF argue against selling empty seats to the OF supporters.

Its like someone who streams all the films they watch and doesn't go to the cinema complaining when they reduce the number of movies they show, or change the start times.

I'm not in favour of it, as a ST holder I don't like the idea of having to move, and like even less the idea of some thick bigot sitting in my seat.  But at the end of the day, if it's that or post losses of £180k every season to the point where we have to reduce the quality of our team, then that's a genuine discussion that needs to be had.

All the arguments about alienating our support and whatever else are fine, but when barely 1200 of our fans can be arsed turning up for a match on their doorstep, there's  4000 empty seats when your club is running at a six figure annual loss, yet you have people wanting to give you money, at what point does cold hard business realism kick in?

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I find it quite bizarre that fans that don't go along to games against the OF argue against selling empty seats to the OF supporters.

Its like someone who streams all the films they watch and doesn't go to the cinema complaining when they reduce the number of movies they show, or change the start times.

I'm not in favour of it, as a ST holder I don't like the idea of having to move, and like even less the idea of some thick bigot sitting in my seat.  But at the end of the day, if it's that or post losses of £180k every season to the point where we have to reduce the quality of our team, then that's a genuine discussion that needs to be had.

All the arguments about alienating our support and whatever else are fine, but when barely 1200 of our fans can be arsed turning up for a match on their doorstep, there's  4000 empty seats when your club is running at a six figure annual loss, yet you have people wanting to give you money, at what point does cold hard business realism kick in?

Why not just give the whole stadium and only allow home season ticket holders in, in a section of the Main?

Guaranteed to have 3/4 full houses a season, at least, dependent on fixtures and trophies. You'd be able to do similar with Aberdeen/Edinburgh sides if they were going well too potentially, we'd be rolling in it.

I hate how we do things. Virtually giving them 3/4 of the stadium as it is makes it feel like an away game, nobody enjoys sitting in a stadium where the opposition fans are vastly outnumbering you and you can't make a sound as you're just sung over, at home it just feels embarrassing, add in the fact prices go up, its always a shite kick off time, and I think its surprising we actually get as many home fans for these fixtures as we do. The majority of folk will have faced some form of pathetic intimidation from the away fans before or after the game too.

Money is money to the club, but its also the same for fans. You hike up prices for a worse experience you can't then fucking moan when nobody takes you up on it, and then make it even worse by actively encouraging all the the things that make it a worse experience. All that'll happen is more folk will turn away, and its a dangerous thing when a middling teams fans realise theres better ways to spend their money. No doubt the club would blame the fans by saying nobody turning up is the reason, but thats just turning a blind eye as to why. Long term we need to get fans into the habit of coming every week, having a better match experience is part of that, I suspect the club, as always, just can't be arsed trying to figure out how so will just stare at the balance sheet and blame the fans.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Selling more tickets to away fans, especially those mutants that support one of the Old firm, is lazy, short sighted and doesn’t begin to tackle the issues. 

Alienating your core support for short term financial benefits is a terrible idea. 

Spot on. If you need to rely on the bigot pound each season to stay afloat then you should take a good look at your business model. 

22 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Alienating your core support for short term financial benefits is a terrible idea. 

Aye, giving the Old Firm fans three stands every time would be the final straw that will break a few fans. Would be one of the worst decisions they club would've made since the absolute farce of season tickets following the Scottish Cup win.

Worth remembering we had 15,000 people buy tickets through the club, then had a reported 20,000 fans at a trophy parade a few days after, and not a single season ticket pack was handed out, nor were any details added to any database.

But aye, its the fans fault we aren't attracting more fans, and we should definitely punish them for that by letting more away fans into games.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Don't St Johnstone suffer from the same problem ICT do...mainly being that you will never for the rest of eternity have a better season than 2013/14????

I don't want to fallout with the sound St Johnstone fans on here but I can see why St Johnstone and ICT fans would see this like they've completed their favourite Computer game. I dinnae want to play it anymore.

5 hours ago, The Marly said:
On 23/09/2019 at 05:08, mizfit said:
Seeing a lot of Perth based rangers supporters posting photos with rangers players online outside the stadium.

Wish there was a way we could make it as difficult as possible on match days for the away fans to take photos with their players. Just for the sheer pettiness

Kill their players?

Most sensible post I've seen on here in a while. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why not just give the whole stadium and only allow home season ticket holders in, in a section of the Main?

Guaranteed to have 3/4 full houses a season, at least, dependent on fixtures and trophies. You'd be able to do similar with Aberdeen/Edinburgh sides if they were going well too potentially, we'd be rolling in it.

I hate how we do things. Virtually giving them 3/4 of the stadium as it is makes it feel like an away game, nobody enjoys sitting in a stadium where the opposition fans are vastly outnumbering you and you can't make a sound as you're just sung over, at home it just feels embarrassing, add in the fact prices go up, its always a shite kick off time, and I think its surprising we actually get as many home fans for these fixtures as we do. The majority of folk will have faced some form of pathetic intimidation from the away fans before or after the game too.

Money is money to the club, but its also the same for fans. You hike up prices for a worse experience you can't then fucking moan when nobody takes you up on it, and then make it even worse by actively encouraging all the the things that make it a worse experience. All that'll happen is more folk will turn away, and its a dangerous thing when a middling teams fans realise theres better ways to spend their money. No doubt the club would blame the fans by saying nobody turning up is the reason, but thats just turning a blind eye as to why. Long term we need to get fans into the habit of coming every week, having a better match experience is part of that, I suspect the club, as always, just can't be arsed trying to figure out how so will just stare at the balance sheet and blame the fans.

You've made the point before about why not just give them the whole stadium and milk them completely. It's missing the point.  If 10000 Saints fans want tickets, we'd give the OF 400 and all be ecstatic about it.

But 10,000 Saints fans don't want to watch these fixtures. Less than 1500 do. So one stand with 3500 seats is more than enough.

If we did what is suggested above, and gave them just one away stand of 1900 tickets, then I'd be right behind it. Give ourselves some form of home advantage, although sadly in all likelihood we'd still have less support there than them.

But we don't, we already give them about 4800 tickets out of yesterday's crowd of 6200.  It seems so arbitrary that folk are happy giving them both ends and a third of the Main Stand, yet draw the line at more. In terms of the advantage on the park it would make f**k all difference, it's already a home game for them due to the apathy amongst our own support.

All this shite about OF fans ruining the experience etc is mostly pish, unless we're talking about folk taking young kids along.  The reason Saints fans don't go is because we're playing against far better sides due to having far more money, that 9 times out of 10 will give us a humping.  It can be so one sided that at times it's an achievement when we get into their box, particularly against Celtic the past couple of seasons.

No matter what the club do, or how they dress it up, you're just not going to convince folk it's a good way of spending their money.  Because, let's be honest, it usually isn't.

Think next season the club might be looking at selling season tickets which exclude OF fixtures. Be interesting to see the take up.

Every cloud etc - at least you’ll not have to worry about ticket allocations to the Old Firm next season [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

7 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Don't St Johnstone suffer from the same problem ICT do...mainly being that you will never for the rest of eternity have a better season than 2013/14????

I don't want to fallout with the sound St Johnstone fans on here but I can see why St Johnstone and ICT fans would see this like they've completed their favourite Computer game. I dinnae want to play it anymore.

See where you are coming from and to an extent you have a point, certainly as far as those in charge of the club are concerned I think it is 'achievement unlocked'

As far as I am concerned we have however had 'better seasons' than 13/14.  To be honest for the majority of the teams in the league that play to a 'good' standard winning a cup is probably more luck than anything else.  I took more pride in our 3rd and 4th finishes.

for me 13/14 was a crossroads a chance to capitalize and we succeeded in taking the other turn and within a month (some would say about a week) completely sucking any joy out of our first trophy.