Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just stuck players in without too huge thought, so dont moan about their positions pls.

LINEUP111568653943285.thumb.png.bdc2cbb281263132cd25b92e7d5fd0d5.png

Decent, experienced, cover in all positions, except CB and RB. A lot might end up resting on how good Vihmann and Duffy are, but hopefully wont come to that.

Edited by RandomGuy.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just stuck players in without too huge thought, so dont moan about their positions pls.

Decent, experienced, cover in all positions, except CB and RB. A lot might end up resting on how good Vihmann and Duffy are, but hopefully wont come to that.

No Hendry ?

Always thought Booth looked decent at Hibs  - he scored a very good goal against us in (I think) the 3-2 win at Easter Road when Sandaza scored in the last minute - and at Thistle. I think he’s good enough to push Tanser but maybe not quite enough to take his position long term. 

Happy enough with the signing. Adds much needed experience to our defensive options and if he isn’t up to scratch, we can let him go with zero fuss when his contract expires in January. 

This is no offence to young Duffy who I’m sure will be fine long term, but would say I’m happier with our options at left back than I am at right back.  

3 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

No Hendry ?

Looks like you can only have 2 options in each position and the only other opening would be Kerr’s back up at centre half! 

I think Hendry is currently 3rd choice to be honest. He may push ahead of Kane as the season progresses though. 

5 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

No Hendry ?

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Looks like you can only have 2 options in each position and the only other opening would be Kerr’s back up at centre half! 

I think Hendry is currently 3rd choice to be honest. He may push ahead of Kane as the season progresses though. 

This, can only have two to each position, and Kanes, despite his flaws, is still a more effective player just now.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My major concerns are with the defence.The starting four are fine and Booth gives us adequate cover for Tanser."But" is Duffy ready to step in for Ralston at this stage ? and is Vihmann a mistake..Only time will tell.I can see another defender possibly arriving in January and his loan cut short.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This, can only have two to each position, and Kanes, despite his flaws, is still a more effective player just now.

He is,"despite his flaws".He is the one player that we have that can play in the Macca Role holding the ball up and laying it off.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

21 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

He is,"despite his flaws".He is the one player that we have that can play in the Macca Role holding the ball up and laying it off.

Kane is nowhere near MacLean in terms of that, nowhere near.

Hes fine at charging about, and his incessant work rate and desire to chase lost causes has gained us plenty, but to suggest hes a Macca type player is just flat out wrong.

IN MY OPINION.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Wotherspoon decent cover for Holt? I see him as decent cover for Kennedy and at a stretch Ralston but in my opinion not Holt.

I believe we have 5 central midfielders for 3 positions and 5 wide midfielders for 2 positions

But i suppose that does not suit your diagram. 

Not a moan just an observation

Edited by Templar

8 minutes ago, Templar said:

Is Wotherspoon decent cover for Holt? I see him as decent cover for Kennedy and at a stretch Ralston but in my opinion not Holt.

I believe we have 5 central midfielders for 3 positions and 5 wide midfielders for 2 positions

But i suppose that does not suit your diagram. 

Not a moan just an observation

You believe a lot tbf.

Spoony says himself that central midfield is his preferred and best position, I don't think it is. What I think is that we now have the midfielders to play several formations and if we don't have adequate cover to play a certain way, we can change it.

31 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You believe a lot tbf.

Spoony says himself that central midfield is his preferred and best position, I don't think it is. What I think is that we now have the midfielders to play several formations and if we don't have adequate cover to play a certain way, we can change it.

I believe you are right tbf.

23 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You believe a lot tbf.

I believe this to be correct. 

I also believe that as an out and out CF, I'd take Hendry over Kane on the basis that Hendry seems more capable of penalty box threat, even if he's not really played in that role much.

In fact I'd take Hendry as second to May purely on the basis that I think Chris has developed as much as he's going to as he's got a lot of mileage on the clock, whereas Hendry has room to develop and we can't spare him on loan so have to do it ourselves. 

I also think that if it's a job of sitting behind the striker and holding play up you'd get a lot more out of Kennedy than Kane, with the added benefit that he can turn defenders. 

Still don't think we quite have the luxury of an obvious front 2 for a 4-4-2 but overall the squad looks strong(er). 

For me currently:

4-3-2-1/4-5-1 =

Clark

Ralston, Kerr, Gordon, Tanser

Davidson, Holt, McCann

O'Halloran, Kennedy

May

4-2-3-1 =

Clark

Davidson, Holt

Wright, Kennedy, O'Halloran

May

4-4-2 =

Clark

Wright, Davidson, Holt, O'Halloran

May, Kennedy

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Very true Kyle.  There seems to be a feeling that it's inevitable we get better, and it's just a matter of when it all clicks into place.  There's no guarantees.

I'd like to stress here that I was never part of the knicker wetting squad over the summer  😑, and think we have the makings of a very good side.  But we've done nothing yet.

Whilst folk say our opening fixtures were against most of last season's top six, only Celtic were in similar form to last season. Hibs, killie and Aberdeen were all poor by last year's standards, and were all there for the taking.

I'm optimistic about the squad we have, and am confident we can start to get the results, but I still have that wee nagging doubt that we might spend some time trying to establish our strongest starting eleven and formation.  With the pish international breaks we have to suffer these days, the first few months of the season can feel disjointed and hard to get any momentum going.  I mentioned a few posts earlier that I don't think 3 centre midfielders with May alone up front is going to get much out of him, as opposed to more of a number 10 type midfielder (Kennedy or Swanson) in support. Time will tell.

I think we should be looking to take something off Rangers next week, as big an ask as that is. We drew through there last season and should have taken at least a point in the home match around Christmas time.  Holt is a big loss though, as he already looks like he'll be a massively important player for us.

The point that the top 6 from last season look quite weak so far is a good one. My expectation before the start of the season was that we should be looking for 4 points from the first 6 games (coming from a win and a draw rather than 4 draws). I think we might just might manage that. 

But if you accept that the OF games are essentially write-offs for the time being it's 3 draws and a loss from 4 games we could expect points from. 2 away draws isn't too bad and I don't think a point in the Killie game would have been unfair. For me, still very much jury's out, but it does 'feel' like our 3 points have been very hard earned for such a small total. What surprises me a bit is the 7 point gap to Motherwell and the 5 point gap to Livingston with only 5 played. I hope that taking so long to get a team together doesn't make that gap material by the end of the season.

What also seems interesting this year is that the bottom 6 are stronger than expected and the bigger city teams outside of Glasgow weaker. Seems like it could be a top 2 with a 10-team crapshoot (but really the big budgets will come out and manager-change bounces will kick in).

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably, and he'll likely struggle to get into our side ahead of Tanser.

It's the first team we've actually had left back cover for about 18 months I think, so it's fine.

That's fair enough, I just read more into the post below than was actually there.

Decent signing, experienced at this level, and will give Tanser a harder time than hes had for his entire time here.

Kane is nowhere near MacLean in terms of that, nowhere near.

Hes fine at charging about, and his incessant work rate and desire to chase lost causes has gained us plenty, but to suggest hes a Macca type player is just flat out wrong.

IN MY OPINION.

I never said he was so I can't be "Flat out wrong" I said the Macca Role IE the lone striker role...

10 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

What surprises me a bit is the 7 point gap to Motherwell and the 5 point gap to Livingston with only 5 played

I agree it is a bit of a surprise. The consolation is that there have been only 5 games played and there is plenty of time to close the gap. If Hearts and Hibs managers leave due to poor results, the new managers will get money to spend so I see both getting themselves out of the relegation zone. Our only change to the squad will be in January when Booth's contract expires (unless he signs on again).

It is time for Tommy to find the best formation for this squad of players there are a number to chose from. When we play away from home at the so called bigger teams, he will play his usual 4:5:1. I wish, he would be more adventurous at home and play 4:4:2 (other than against the old firm).

Two home games coming up, Rangers and Motherwell will it be 4:5:1 in both?