Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

That is the problem for the scorned lovers, not the player that had a wee blip after being a model of consistency for four seasons. 

Making stuff up like "playing Saints against Aberdeen" might work on the threads of other teams but it won't wash here. He's trying to negotiate his future, as he's entitled to do. 

Let's deal with the facts as they are known here:

• The club asked the player if he wanted to stay and he said he was keen and that he was open to being made an offer. The club did this before he could speak to other clubs, so the player was obviously unaware of what else would be on the table. He wasn't prepared to sign at that point, based on the deals put forward by Saints. 
  • Aberdeen moved early in January with an offer, presumably, in excess of what Saints had tabled and the player rejected our deals.
  • Once we got the run of games out of the way after the break, and with a firm offer from Aberdeen on the table, the player was able to give Saints a figure of what it would take for him to stay. Saints couldn't meet those demands and ended proceedings. 

What did you want the player to do differently? 

The manager said theyd been offering Shaughnessy deals since November, and those offers continued until February/March time? He came out and announced negotiations had ended anyway.

I refuse to believe Shaughnessys agent didn't have a clue what sort of offers he would recieve in England. Negotiations shouldn't have dragged on that long in that case.

To me if he'd simply rejected an offer or two, and made it clear he wanted to move to England, like Davidson did years ago, everyone could've moved on accordingly. Pure speculation but I still wonder if we missed out on Gallagher because half an eye was still on Shaughnessy. Instead we, according to the manager, spent months going back and forwards with with him before being priced out. I'm still not clear whether the club were ever actually given a figure, or whether the offers simply reached a point where they couldn't go any further.

The "Aberdeen v Saints" thing came off here, where it was claimed his agent/father always intended to move him down south and having multiple offers up here was a bargaining tool.

FWIW I dont blame Shaughnessy for that, he'll just be going of the advice hes given.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Midfielder Martin Woods has left relegated Dundee, with back-up goalkeeper Elliot Parish having held talks with St Johnstone as he exits the Dens Park club. (Daily Express, print edition)

anybody else scan over this and only really took in the words " martin woods" and "held talks with st johnstone" and got the fear?

You're getting a good, steady, reliable and average keeper in Parish. Won't pull up any trees, won't massively let you down either. He is a back-up keeper personified. He's also one of the nicest, most humble professionals I've ever came across.

It's been mooted on P&B and elsewhere that he's possibly too nice to be a goalkeeper.

Yeah that's kind of my impression of Parish to be honest. An upgrade on Mitchell and probably Bell but not likely to take Clark's number one jersey. Would be happy enough for Saints to bring him in if he's not too expensive.

Edited by Kyle

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:57, Radford said:

Cillian Sheridan has made a good career for himself abroad, so Watt can do the same. 

I see he was at the sponsors night yesterday evening, so clearly he's not as persona non grata as the usual Perth bullshit mill would have had you believe. 

Maybe we could sponsor a player... 

Nothing to stop a group getting together to sponsor a player.

I know one of Tony Watt's shirt sponsors and yes he was at the event during the week and again on Saturday night at the POTY awards

The interesting point was he was not asked to join in the open training session and just stood by the dug out.. Tony said at the table he has no offers, no idea where he will be next year and what the future holds. he did say he's been frozen out for a long time and had not been training.

Shaughnessys problem was his performances, and the teams, turned to shite around the same time it came out he was playing Saints against Aberdeen and demanding an unholy amount of money.

Randoom, this is the second time I’ve had to scold you in two or three days. I know Joe personally and some of his family too. I’ve met his parents, brother, sister, cousins. They’re a nice family.
I spent half an hour with Joe on Saturday night. Do everyone a favour and drop the unholy amount of money and playing clubs against each other nonsense.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The manager said theyd been offering Shaughnessy deals since November, and those offers continued until February/March time? He came out and announced negotiations had ended anyway.

I refuse to believe Shaughnessys agent didn't have a clue what sort of offers he would recieve in England. Negotiations shouldn't have dragged on that long in that case.

To me if he'd simply rejected an offer or two, and made it clear he wanted to move to England, like Davidson did years ago, everyone could've moved on accordingly. Pure speculation but I still wonder if we missed out on Gallagher because half an eye was still on Shaughnessy. Instead we, according to the manager, spent months going back and forwards with with him before being priced out. I'm still not clear whether the club were ever actually given a figure, or whether the offers simply reached a point where they couldn't go any further.

The "Aberdeen v Saints" thing came off here, where it was claimed his agent/father always intended to move him down south and having multiple offers up here was a bargaining tool.

FWIW I dont blame Shaughnessy for that, he'll just be going of the advice hes given.

But just to clarify things your beliefs are not based on facts.You(Like Myself) do not know anything about the actual negotiations,know nothing of the money being offered by Saints or Aberdeen,know nothing about any other offers that he may have had 

27 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Randoom, this is the second time I’ve had to scold you in two or three days. I know Joe personally and some of his family too. I’ve met his parents, brother, sister, cousins. They’re a nice family.
I spent half an hour with Joe on Saturday night. Do everyone a favour and drop the unholy amount of money and playing clubs against each other nonsense.

His dad is the issue, something I've now heard from three different people. Today I heard his dad and McInnes fell out, and Aberdeen was the players preferred move.

8 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

But just to clarify things your beliefs are not based on facts.You(Like Myself) do not know anything about the actual negotiations,know nothing of the money being offered by Saints or Aberdeen,know nothing about any other offers that he may have had 

How do you know what I know?

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His dad is the issue, something I've now heard from three different people. Today I heard his dad and McInnes fell out, and Aberdeen was the players preferred move.

How do you know what I know?

I don't,but I know what you don't know 

You have heard ? Which confirms my point you don't know anything apart from uninformed gossip on social media 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

3 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I don't,but I know what you don't know 

You have heard ? Which confirms my point you don't know anything apart from uninformed gossip on social media 

:lol: I make it clear when I've read things on Twitter, this isnt that.

You're getting a good, steady, reliable and average keeper in Parish. Won't pull up any trees, won't massively let you down either. He is a back-up keeper personified. He's also one of the nicest, most humble professionals I've ever came across.
It's been mooted on P&B and elsewhere that he's possibly too nice to be a goalkeeper.

He’s also a starhead on FIFA 🥰

Was intrigued when I heard Tommy Wright say he was seeking a 15 goal a season striker; would obviously be great, but I thought it sounded a lot. 

Had a look back at all our premier/Premiership seasons and the top scorer, along with the number of league goals scored, was as follows:

1975-76 Jim O'Rourke                           8

1983-84 John Brogan                             9

1990-91 Harry Curran                           9

1991-92 Paul Wright                            18

1992-93 Paul Wright                            14

1993-94 Paul Wright                               7

1997-98 George O'Boyle                   10

1998-99 Gary Bollan

Roddy Grant                           4

Miguel Simao

1999-00 Nathan Lowndes               10

2000-01 Keigan Parker                      10

2001-02 Paul Hartley                            4

2009-10 Liam Craig                                8

2010-11 Liam Craig                                6

2011-12 Francisco Sandaza             14

2012-13 Liam Craig

Murray Davidson                 7

Nigel Hasselbaink

Rowan Vine

2013-14 Stevie May                             20

2014-15 Michael O'Halloran

Brian Graham                          9

2015-16 Steve Maclean                     14

2016-17 Danny Swanson                  10

2017-18 Steve Maclean                        9

2018-19 Matt Kennedy                         6

You maybe just have to get lucky with an unknown. That big haddy at Aberdeen scored 18 this season, and Motherwell unearthed Louis Moult who bagged at least that number two seasons running. 

Be interesting to see who we end up getting...

Our offer must be proper derisory. Fair play and all the best to him. Sad to see another cup winner go but realistically he’s got a real job ahead of him to get back in the side ahead of Tanser. 

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

Our offer must be proper derisory. Fair play and all the best to him. 

Surely it wasn't derisory that Saints at least offered a deal to someone who's hardly played for two years and still doesn't look anywhere near ready for the first team. (And even before his injury he wasn't the same player he was in 2014.) We'd be foolish to not to have learned from our experiences with Frazer Wright or Dave Mackay. 

What has been Easton playing appearances over the last 5 seasons?  I have a idea he has struggled for a bit over that time??

So Mabey a Tam Scobbie type of deal has been offered to him! I wonder if Tam would accept it now if the clock was turned back?