Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I don't know the context of how Tommy mentioned Watt wasn't staying but you'd think he'd have mentioned Alston wasn't either if he was giving an update. 

Went on to the website to check up on the young lad Northcott but he apparently doesn't exist. Think I might see how much it'll now cost to sponsor Stefan Scougall's away kit as it's still available. Might get a good deal if I do it along with both of Mark Hurt's at the same time.

Just now, 7-2 said:

I don't know the context of how Tommy mentioned Watt wasn't staying but you'd think he'd have mentioned Alston wasn't either if he was giving an update. 

Went on to the website to check up on the young lad Northcott but he apparently doesn't exist. Think I might see how much it'll now cost to sponsor Stefan Scougall's away kit as it's still available. Might get a good deal if I do it along with both of Mark Hurt's at the same time.

I think he was asked about Watt, same as he was asked solely about Shaughnessy, but I cant remember exactly the question. 

Have to assume the interviewer was asked to ask about Watt so the manager could say.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he was asked about Watt, same as he was asked solely about Shaughnessy, but I cant remember exactly the question. 

Have to assume the interviewer was asked to ask about Watt so the manager could say.

I’m pretty sure he was asked about ‘any further updates’. I get the impression that interview today was to tell us about Watt and for tommy to stick up for himself and the team regarding our record this season. 

I will miss Tony but probably best to move on, however thinking positively for next year, we have a decent amount of money to get people in, and still have this starting XI we could use

Clark

Foster Kerr Gordon Tanser

Davidson Craig

Wright      Swanson      Kennedy

Kane

then still have Hendry , MOH , the saints fans banter page new darling Callachan, Easton ect so its a decent base to build off, maybe a full pre season for some of those like moh and swanson could bring more out of them next season also. obviously would need to add a few but that team would likely stay up easily as a bare minimum 

anyone else see Brian Easton doing a Dave Mackay and moving in to cover CB more from now on depending on fitness? 

Is Callachan the new poster boy for those gimps? Jesus fucking Christ. I'm not a great fan of him yet. Very limited and very suspect positionally, he runs about a lot so I suppose that's what they think footballers do.

I can see Easton retiring tbh. Just like Dave Mackay. 

Is Callachan the new poster boy for those gimps? Jesus fucking Christ. I'm not a great fan of him yet. Very limited and very suspect positionally, he runs about a lot so I suppose that's what they think footballers do.
I can see Easton retiring tbh. Just like Dave Mackay. 

Whilst you’re right about Callachan being poor at times with his technique and play, so was Murray and still is. I have confidence that he’ll learn with age. I wasn’t sold on him to begin with, but actually I’m beginning to really like Ross. Given how limp some of our play has been, you can ever say he doesn’t give 100% and by god does he get around the pitch for better and for worse I might add. So put me in the Callachan fan camp for now, solely due to the was he plays, rather than the actual player he is. There’s definitely a place in the squad for him alongside the right players in the middle. It’s about finding the balance.

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Whilst you’re right about Callachan being poor at times with his technique and play, so was Murray and still is. I have confidence that he’ll learn with age. I wasn’t sold on him to begin with, but actually I’m beginning to really like Ross. Given how limp some of our play has been, you can ever say he doesn’t give 100% and by god does he get around the pitch for better and for worse I might add. So put me in the Callachan fan camp for now, solely due to the was he plays, rather than the actual player he is. There’s definitely a place in the squad for him alongside the right players in the middle. It’s about finding the balance.

Hes better on the ball than Davidson, but still has the infuriating ability to his control a simple pass ten yards away from himself.

Hes not someone I'd be shouting about either way. Hes probably better when hes given free reign to get in the box from midfielder, but not from the 10 position, while Davidson has evolved to be controlled in midfield. Maybe why we always look more open with Callachan in a two than when Davidson is in there.

No idea how Easton has being doing for the reserves? Could maybe see him retiring if he feels miles off that level but would hope not. Hes definitely played CB in at least one reserve game.

Edited by RandomGuy.

37 minutes ago, Widge said:

I've never looked at the FB page, but I agree @Paulo. He's also clearly very fit and very committed, and actually has some vision even if his execution lets him down sometimes. That's something that can be worked on though. One think that Murray does bring that we've not seen from Callachan yet is heading ability in front of goal, but I suspect Ross is better with his feet from distance. 

Start him ahead of Davidson every time.

@steviemay17 I agree with the back four but Swanson can do one. If we don't bring anyone in, it leaves us with 4-4-2 with MOH and Wright on the wings, Craig and Callachan in the middle and either Kane or Hendy up front with Matty either alongside or in behind. 

However, that's not a team that would get us very far in next year's competition. It will only get harder as it's very possible that better resourced teams will come up from below, and we need upgrades accross the park if we've even a hope of top 6. 

Hes better on the ball than Davidson, but still has the infuriating ability to his control a simple pass ten yards away from himself.
Hes not someone I'd be shouting about either way. Hes probably better when hes given free reign to get in the box from midfielder, but not from the 10 position, while Davidson has evolved to be controlled in midfield. Maybe why we always look more open with Callachan in a two than when Davidson is in there.
No idea how Easton has being doing for the reserves? Could maybe see him retiring if he feels miles off that level but would hope not. Hes definitely played CB in at least one reserve game.

He definitely is better on the ball in he can pass more than 5 yards. See the first goal against Dundee, that came from Callachan moving forward into space and pinging a nice pass 30 yards out to Foster. In the same game he broke forward into the box sold a defender for a dummy and had a good effort on his weak foot. In the same game though he got caught upfield several times, to his credit he does get back very quickly though.

Difference with Davidson is that he knows when to chase and press a man, Callachan doesn’t. He’s got one setting and that’s “Labrador Puppy” which is endearing but needs reigning in.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I saw him playing for the reserves a few weeks back he only lasted around 20 minutes when he went off with a knock which I reckon  was more precautionary than anything else

He was playing CB and looked comfortable there.He also looked quite fit and sharp.

6 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I've never looked at the FB page, but I agree @Paulo. He's also clearly very fit and very committed, and actually has some vision even if his execution lets him down sometimes. That's something that can be worked on though. One think that Murray does bring that we've not seen from Callachan yet is heading ability in front of goal, but I suspect Ross is better with his feet from distance. 

Start him ahead of Davidson every time.

@steviemay17 I agree with the back four but Swanson can do one. If we don't bring anyone in, it leaves us with 4-4-2 with MOH and Wright on the wings, Craig and Callachan in the middle and either Kane or Hendy up front with Matty either alongside or in behind. 

However, that's not a team that would get us very far in next year's competition. It will only get harder as it's very possible that better resourced teams will come up from below, and we need upgrades accross the park if we've even a hope of top 6. 

fair point on swanson, Im still blinded by how good he was the second time round

I'm bored at work again so please forgive me.

The players we have contracted for next season;

Goalkeepers

Zander Clark

Ross Sinclair

Defenders

Richard Foster

Liam Gordon

Steven Anderson

Jason Kerr

Scott Tanser

Central Midfielders

Murray Davidson

Ross Callachan

Liam Craig

Attacking midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon

Drey Wright

Michael O'Halloran

Danny Swanson

Matty Kennedy

Strikers

Chris Kane

Callum Hendry

David McMillan

Out of contract

Aaron Comrie

Brian Easton

Kyle McClean

Ali McCann

Blair Alston

Contracts withdrawn/loans expiring/leaving the club

Cammy Bell 

Joe Shaughnessy 

Niall Keown

Sean Goss

Tony Watt

So we've currently got 18 signed players for next year. Two of them are currently out on loan and there's a fair argument that neither will be with us next season, seeing as they couldn't get in the team this year and have either struggled out on loan or are desperate to play first team football.

The strengths are pretty obvious to me. We certainly don't need any more attacking midfielders or wingers. Granted most of them are right sided and most comfortable playing from that side, but having 5 options for 2, maybe 3, positions is enough. That may be what is counting against Alston right now, and certainly counted against Scougall. We have a decent starting point as outlined by @steviemay17 above which should give the manager a bit of leeway in the market, but we do have a big summer ahead nonetheless.

Other than that though, there's argument that we need at least one player in each of the other positions. Not only do we need bodies but I reckon we need good, experienced players as at times this season we've looked like a side a little bit short of leadership and character.

Goalkeeper - going from Zander to a 17/18 year old is very risky. Bell wouldn't be a disaster but we definitely need someone with a bit more experience than Sinclair in the squad.

Defence - We need competent competition for Foster. He was dreadful immediately after the winter break but the manager didn't want to play Comrie, nor did he want to move Shaughnessy. Obviously this will depend on who might be available in the summer but Cammy Kerr screams potential target to me. If Dundee offer him anything he'll likely stay where he is though. If Shaughnessy doesn't stay - which appears likely now -and Anderson doesn't return - I'm not sure he will either - then we'll need two centre halves. If we could borrow the Delorean and bring in a 30 year old Frazer Wright, that would be ideal Alternatively, an older player capable of mentoring what will be younger team mates would be ideal. I don't see too many like that in Scottish football that would be in our reach right now so the manager may need to look further afield. If Easton proves his fitness a left back wont be required but it's still a possibility until he does.

Midfield - I think most of us have been talking about this since Chris Millar was told he was being released. We desperately need a player like him in the midfield to provide leadership, experience, a cool head, the ability to distribute the ball calmly from the back and take the ball off centre backs in tight spaces. We've been spoilt over the years with Morris, then Millar but we've really missed that presence in the team. I mentioned before that it may need to be a younger player that we develop but we need to at least try and fill that void. Goss just didn't cut the mustard unfortunately  -just not quite what we needed. To be honest, we might not get all of the above in one player. If Alston and Goss do both leave, we may be looking at two midfielders. We have been linked to Liam Polworth of ICT but I think he's more comfortable in advanced role. He does retain possession and pass the ball well though.

Strikers - Our top goal scoring striker in the league this season has 3 goals, and one of those is really an own goal. I don't think it's realistic to expect a 25 goals a season striker but if we can get one who can grab 10 and another who can get 6 or 7, that would take a lot of pressure off us. Hendry/Kane/McMillan could be that but they strike me as 3rd/4th choice strikers - we could really use a couple of starters.

Basically, I want Wright, Millar and Maclean back please, and I'll have Mannus back as the reserve goalie. Not as they are now obviously, the versions from 5 or 6 years ago.

Bring on the close season rabble. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’ve seen a couple of people saying Bell wouldn’t be a disaster as a back up. I don’t like him one bit. Zero confidence. No thanks.

Would rather play Sinclair, although he will be out on loan. That means we need a back up who'll likely never play, Bell isn't that man.