Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Seeing a lack of love for Ross Callachan at the minute. Admittedly he is a bit chaotic with sometimes poor touch and positional sense  but he covers the ground well and gives us energy in midfield.

Like a few others I think his level gets exposed against Celtic but I think there's a player in there. Saying that, Goss looks like an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Seeing a lack of love for Ross Callachan at the minute. Admittedly he is a bit chaotic with sometimes poor touch and positional sense  but he covers the ground well and gives us energy in midfield.

Like a few others I think his level gets exposed against Celtic but I think there's a player in there. Saying that, Goss looks like an upgrade. 

I like Callachan, and I like Davidson, but I don't think we work well with both. Neither are any good in terms of building play, both more "charge about with the ball" types.

Callachan been played further forward in recent times but that doesn't suit him.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like Callachan, and I like Davidson, but I don't think we work well with both. Neither are any good in terms of building play, both more "charge about with the ball" types.

Callachan been played further forward in recent times but that doesn't suit him.

Have to agree with that. 

Team selection for the cup game is going to be interesting. 

Most of our players have good attributes but also failings. On some days, a guy like Callachan is to the fore, on others, you see the weaknesses in his game. We unfortunately can't afford the complete player. 

As hinted, the key is good management and getting the balance right. That's why Goss looks potentially a decent signing as he adds something we don't have. 

Goss is going to be a great signing when he gets up to full fitness. Some great passes but sort of fell out of the game a bit second half.
Thought we played really well today if we had taken one of our chances we could have got a result.
Must improve our corners.

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

Most of our players have good attributes but also failings. On some days, a guy like Callachan is to the fore, on others, you see the weaknesses in his game. We unfortunately can't afford the complete player. 

As hinted, the key is good management and getting the balance right. That's why Goss looks potentially a decent signing as he adds something we don't have. 

Just said the same thing in the match thread, we either get ballers who are not great defensively; Swanson, MOH, or battlers who are not so strong on the ball, e.g. Callachan, Davidson.  Drey Wright and Matt Kennedy are exceptions.

Inclined to agree with RG, Callachan's best games have been when Muzz hasn't been in the team; away at Hibs, and a couple of games in December/ January. He battles hard, makes interceptions, and likes to drive forward, so he definitely offers something positive.. it's just he was pretty bad for giving the ball away/ taking careless touches today. If he'd just win it back then play a simple 5 yard pass I think he'd be a very effective player, but at times he wants to be everything, and maybe needs to be more aware of his strengths and limitations and play to those.  Up against really difficult opponents today though, so probably harsh being too critical.

Hard to know what central midfield is our strongest. All four bring something different but have limitations.

Callachan plays like a young Davidson for me. He’s a good option but I don’t really want to see callachan and Davidson Paired together in a 2 man midfield. I think our strongest centre might be Davidson/Callachan, Goss, Craig. If we’re only playing with 2 centre mids I’d be inclined to stick with Davidson and Craig. 

Good to have options in there though and none of them seem obviously behind the other players in terms of contribution. 

I thought we were fine today to be honest. A couple of lapses cost us towards the end but we contained Celtic well enough. I don’t think the forward players are giving us enough going forward in these games though. It may just be down to us not pushing enough bodies forward to support but the ball just wasn’t sticking for us up there today. 

Thought for a large part of the game we contained Celtic and broke forward quite well today. Against 8 or 9 of the teams in this league we'd do very well with that system and players, against the better sides we need luck as well, that wasn't there for us in this game. Let's forget about Celtic and scud Hamilton, is McMillan allowed to play?

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Thought for a large part of the game we contained Celtic and broke forward quite well today. Against 8 or 9 of the teams in this league we'd do very well with that system and players, against the better sides we need luck as well, that wasn't there for us in this game. Let's forget about Celtic and scud Hamilton, is McMillan allowed to play?

Pretty sure McMillan would have burried the header chance that Watt had today.

As for the best midfield comments, personally I think Craig is the only one that I'd have on the team every time. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Watt was an improvement on O'Halloran during the week and to be fair to him, if he scores that header, folk are probably saying he has a decent game. For me, Simunovic should definitely have been booked for the tackle when he goes to ground and could have been booked when he had a clear body check on him. I'd stick with him next Sunday. 

For all Celtic's good football and athleticism, they certainly have a cynical side in terms of whenever we looked to break or get into space,  they deliberately foul.

We gave as good as we got, but I think our fouls were more mis-timed challenges against quicker or more skilful opponents.