Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Anyone slightly concerned about Hibs making a move for Tommy Wright?

I know he's just signed a contract extension, and there'd be compensation to pay, but I don't think the chairman would stand in his way if he was keen to move on.

I always felt clubs like Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen were the bigger threats in terms of enticing him away. Least disruption to his personal/ family life, familiar league, would get a chance to build something, bigger crowds etc.

Hopefully Hibs go for Stubbs or someone with a club connection, and Tommy is too excited by the team we're building here to want a change.

No. 

In agreement with others. The NI Job is the only thing I believe could tempt him away.

Hibs seem to have turned into a basket case again. Lennons suspension tells me that there is issues again. Would you wanna walk away from stability and go into a toxic environment?

Three reasons I'm not too worried:

The contract means that you are looking at a hefty compensation package.

He's very good pals with Lennon so arguably won't want to tread on his toes if the split hasn't been amicable.

Hibs are one of these clubs who are at the wrong end of that graph that plots success against philosophy. He won't be sexy enough for them.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Anyone slightly concerned about Hibs making a move for Tommy Wright?

I know he's just signed a contract extension, and there'd be compensation to pay, but I don't think the chairman would stand in his way if he was keen to move on.

I always felt clubs like Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen were the bigger threats in terms of enticing him away. Least disruption to his personal/ family life, familiar league, would get a chance to build something, bigger crowds etc.

Hopefully Hibs go for Stubbs or someone with a club connection, and Tommy is too excited by the team we're building here to want a change.

Mabey the knock effect of managerial changes though?   If Michael O'neill  was to jump ship from NI for the Hibs job say that then puts a different angle on the NI job, I always have a thought that in TW contracts there is a soft compensation package for the NI job if he were approached, not in the Know but always think is .   

5 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Kane not in squad today? Injured or other? Wouldn't mind him back at Palmerston on loan. 

Injured.

There's no chance Kane will be leaving this window, in terms of outright strikers we've only him, Watt and young Calum Hendry. 

34 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Apparently we're in for McMillan. I remember a wee bit of hype around him towards the end of last season, but not heard much since?

I don't think we've seen enough of him to really know how good, or what type, of player he is.

He was quite literally assaulted on his debut a year ago so other than a few games at the end of last season and the first couple of months of this, we haven't really seen him.

I expected him to be a replacement for MacLean from what the Dundalk fans said. They reported that he was a lone frontman that worked hard and poached goals.

I think his link up is better than some others give him credit for but he's never had a run of it at Saints playing as a main striker.

I think he'll go back to Ireland.

40 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Apparently we're in for McMillan. I remember a wee bit of hype around him towards the end of last season, but not heard much since?

Saints fan still seem split on him. He works hard and has a knack of being able to peel off at the back post and get chances, he'd started to get in the habit of missing easy chances with us though, although you could argue it's reassuring he was getting those chances.

He never seemed to get a solid run of games for us, he played about five minutes on his debut before Cerny virtually murdered him and put him out for 5 months, came back and got a goal or two. Just unfortunate he couldn't stake his claim before we signed Watt.

Edited by RandomGuy.

35 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He's done okay for us in limited appearances and looks to be a good finisher.

Hes been unlucky with injury twice when selected and has found it hard to get a run of games due to the form of Tony Watt.

We haven't seen too much of him in the year he's been at Saints, but on limited viewings he looks to be a decent player. I think he'd be a good signing for Accies. 

5 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Check out @reluctantnicko’s Tweet:

I don't think they'll ever get high enough, they'll be using Lindsays fee as a gauge and it was woefully low as it is.

Then again, apparently they're asking £5m for Lindsay from Stoke.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'll be really disappointed if Kerr ends up at bloody Barnsley at the moment. Come back in the summer when we know what league they'll be in at least.

Saints have managed Kerr's development really well and whilst a few months in League One wouldn't be a disaster, another season-and-a-half or longer isn't what he needs.

Financially are they going to be a big enough hitter too? There is absolutely no need for either Saints or Kerr to jump at the first sign of interest.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'll be really disappointed if Kerr ends up at bloody Barnsley at the moment. Come back in the summer when we know what league they'll be in at least.

Saints have managed Kerr's development really well and whilst a few months in League One wouldn't be a disaster, another season-and-a-half or longer isn't what he needs.

Financially are they going to be a big enough hitter too? There is absolutely no need for either Saints or Kerr to jump at the first sign of interest.

If they can get a major fee they could afford to pay ~£1m, which is probably enough. Wages wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think he'll go, he, and his agent, must be aware that far bigger clubs have been watching him for a long time. He'd be selling himself short joining them.