Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Indeed - having those 5 players on deals for at least the next 18 months would be brilliant business for us. Getting Shaughnessy's deal extended is the number one priority IMO. I wouldn't be adverse (;)) to us taking a Tanser/Wright style punt on a young right back from England whilst Foster is still at a good enough level to play if that goes tits up. I'm not talking a Dundee style punt on a shitehawk from the 6th tier of English football or anything, but I'm sure we could find a player with good potential in the English lower leagues who is capable of stepping up to our level and becoming a fixture in our side.

Jason Naismith is apparently being punted by Peterborough, although Aberdeen would front any queue

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (26) - 2020

12. Conor Mitchell (22) - 2019 (on loan from Burnley)

30. Mark Hurst (22) - 2019

Defenders

19. Richard Foster (32) - 2019

5. Joe Shaughnessy (25) - 2019

6. Steven Anderson (32) - 2020

24. Brian Easton (30) - 2019

3. Scott Tanser (23) - 2021

23. Liam Gordon (22) - 2021

14. Aaron Comrie (21) - 2019

15. Jason Kerr (21) - 2020 

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (23) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (28) - 2019

4. Blair Alston (26) - 2019 + 1

8. Murray Davidson (30) - 2020 + 1

28. Ross Callachan (24) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (31) - 2019

20. Kyle McClean (19) - 2019 (on loan at Linfield unti May 2019)

21. Stefan Scougall (25) - 2019 - free to leave the club 

18. Ali McCann (18) - 2019

33. Matty Kennedy (23) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (31) - 2020

Strikers

16. David McMillan (29) - 2020

9. Chris Kane (23) - 2020

32. Tony Watt (24) - 2019

22. Callum Hendry (20) - 2020 (on loan at Brechin city until May 2019)

I don't think this has been posted in a while, so here's the current state of the squad.

2 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I must have been one of the few people who did not doubt that Tanser would make it. He was always good going forward but was prone to making mistakes when defending..This was due in the main to him needing a run of games.

I was a doubter and indeed a bit of a hater. Not because of anything he'd done wit us, but he was described as being one of the worst ever players at a couple of his previous clubs and he wasn't exactly playing at a great level before us. He's gone from a cheap back up option to a real positive force in our team and I think the two year contract extension exemplifies that. Easton will have a very hard time getting his place back in the team and may have to settle for the back up role when he does eventually get himself fit again.

I think massive credit to our manager for the way Tanser has transformed from one of the weakest members of our team to being consistently very good the past few months.

A lot of teams might have given up on him with some of his earlier performances and got in a replacement, but he was given the opportunity to prove he was good enough.

He always had good ability on the ball. His main job, however, is to defend, and that is where we’ve seen a huge improvement.

Good on him, he’s earned that contract.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Naismith is apparently being punted by Peterborough, although Aberdeen would front any queue

I know he's not well liked but he's played almost every game of the season. Where are you hearing he's punted?

I'd hope McIntyre could maybe give a try at his connection there but sure Aberdeen would come in.

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I know he's not well liked but he's played almost every game of the season. Where are you hearing he's punted?

I'd hope McIntyre could maybe give a try at his connection there but sure Aberdeen would come in.

I'm sure I read on twitter they were open to him leaving, but it's highly likely I've crossed my wires.

surely a new right back is a waste of a wage for us just now, foster stil looks great, and hopefully will pick up with drey wright again next season, joe can cover if need be, get comrie out on loan to a championship team and see if he can get back to the player he was, he genuinely looked good in his first few games.

Nobody was wrong about Tanser as such, he was inauspicious for his first few months at the club when we saw stuff like him getting hooked at half-time against Aberdeen. 

But the manager always maintained he needed to believe in himself more and the coaching team have elicited that from him and also worked on his weaknesses. Whilst always accepting you could improve technical aspects of a player, I've been sceptical that you could force them to be more aggressive but by working on his strength, they've managed to do that with Tanser. 

He obviously deserves credit himself but he's a perfect example of how good a coaching set-up we have at Saints.

I don't think the club can afford to do nothing at right back. Foster is playing well but he didn't have a strong season before this one and we've seen with Frazer Wright, and even Anderson to an extent, that senior players can just drop off a cliff when they get into their thirties. 

A Tanser type player would be an acceptable route to go down, although Jason Naismith would be a brilliant piece of business if it was possible. 

Ryan Williamson of Dunfermline probably fits the bill for right back, for me, but as is usually the case, that's based purely on hype and not actually seeing him play, so he'd end up being shite.

Someone like Jack Grimmer probably fits the recent ideal of signing young Scots from the lower leagues, but again, never seen him play.

Marcus Fraser is out of contract this Summer too, but I've always had the idea he's a CB playing at full back.

Aberdeen have offered Shaughnessy a contract.

We won't be able to compete with them financially, so we're entirely reliant on him feeling like being captain here, and TW rescuing his career, is more important than, at least, doubling his wage.

Edited by RandomGuy.