Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

If it's a choice for now of Kerr or Wotherspoon/ Alston then I'm all for it young JK getting thrown in there.

If you're Spoony or Alston. Who have both said before that their preferred position is in the centre, then you must be having a look at yourself right now.

It's your profession boys, where you see yourself at your best, what you've trained your whole life to do and excel in.

And your club prefers to play a rookie young centre back in your position, you should be fucking ashamed you pair of c***s.

Why not try Scougall in the middle. I get that he’s lightweight, but then Millar was hardly a tank. He’s good on the ball, will put a tackle in and is reasonably dynamic. I get that he’s better going forward and playing little balls into space, but he recycled the ball well and doesn’t tend to lose it or get caught on it since he’s clearly out most intelligent player. Pair him with Davidson and let Murray do the grunt work and you’d be alright I think.

If we really do have to get people out to bring someone in I’d get rid of Alston, either on loan or essentially released. He’s clearly not going to play that CM role and will probably be third choice on the right behind Wright and Wotherspoon. He’ll also be on a fairly reasonable wage.

A decent ball playing CM beside Davidson could be the difference between us looking up the table this season or scrapping it out to avoid the relegation places. This is hardly an imprudent speculate to accumulate scenario - we need someone in there urgently.

A couple of seasons ago Spoony was sitting behind me at a pre-season friendly and was with his mates/family. 

He was having a wee moan about how he was desperate to play in the middle but couldn't get an opportunity.

Edited by The Saintee

I can't help feeling the playing of JK there throws up a few questions:

The big one is that we're just making it up as we go along.. all summer to prepare, pre-season to shape the team and work on a system, then one game in we tear it up and throw a rookie centre back into the most important position on the park.  It is possible I am wrong, and we've worked on this in pre-season as an option, but it doesn't seem like it.

The re-signing of Alston and chat about how he's going to be a central midfielder;  he's started one pre-season game as an attacking midfielder, and a sub appearance out wide, so it's not a serious option.  We all know the type of player Alston is after two seasons; a fringe player who will work hard, occasional great goals and good games. To expect him to suddenly become this pivotal central midfielder, just because it would be convenient if he was, doesn't make sense to me.

Spoony is never going to change. Again, as brilliant as it would be if he became this consistent, reliable player who could retain possession, it wasn't going to happen. He'll always be the talented, frustrating, mercurial inconsistent player he's always been.

We released the one player who can do the job we're crying out for.

I agree with JB, bite the bullet and let Alston go. He's a decent squad player, but we need a starting CM and if it's one out before one in then let's do it.  Tell him he won't get game time, he maybe feels he needs a change to kick-start his career anyway.  Livingston, st Mirren, Accies or Falkirk would possibly be interested.

36 minutes ago, Widge said:

Why not try Scougall in the middle. I get that he’s lightweight, but then Millar was hardly a tank. He’s good on the ball, will put a tackle in and is reasonably dynamic. I get that he’s better going forward and playing little balls into space, but he recycled the ball well and doesn’t tend to lose it or get caught on it since he’s clearly out most intelligent player. Pair him with Davidson and let Murray do the grunt work and you’d be alright I think.

100000% this!

He doesn't fit in our team any other way really 

I'm all aboard the 'get Alston to f**k' train.

Can we bag Comrie in a 'buy one get one free' type deal?

Edit: for what it's worth, I agree with the general sentiment on here. Wright is moaning about the squad being light on numbers - it's not. He has Davidson, Wotherspoon, Craig, Alston, Scougall, McClean and McCann who would all call themselves central midfielders in one guise or another. He has plenty of options - some are similar to others, a couple are  young, others are either past it or shite. It's Wright's job to build a squad and he's the one who's decided to spend his budget on 3 expensive attacking players and a sub-goalie who'll only ever be used if Clark's injured. He also gave another contract to Alston and 2 year deals to Craig (who earned another contract at the time he was signed up, but not 2 years) and Wotherspoon (who has regressed quite significantly since the 10 goal season). New contracts for the Hurst brothers too - they must have pictures of our Tam in a compromising position as they've certainly not done anything to earn that.

You wonder if Wright is including the young players who are supplementing when he talks about having a small squad - maybe that's where the difference in view between Wright and Brown is stemming from. 

3 goalies, 8 defenders, 9 midfielders and 5 strikers is not a small squad by any stretch of the imagination for me - especially with Watt, Scougall, Kennedy, Davidson etc who will all been in big wages for a team like Saints.

Edited by Kyle

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Comrie has to go on loan to a championship side as soon as Joe is fully fit again. We have enough good quality cover in defence.

Indeed. We don't need a shite quality one blurring the lines.

It's Tommy, it's the media. There's nothing in that article about transfers that hasn't been said before, frequently, and quite recently again too.  There's obviously a few nerves still raw after Saturday!

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

It's Tommy, it's the media. There's nothing in that article about transfers that hasn't been said before, frequently, and quite recently again too.  There's obviously a few nerves still raw after Saturday!

It taps a nerve because it's the same shite being pedaled all the time from the manager.  The summer of 2014 was ridiculous but he's been given a decent budget to splurge and he's made some  questionable decisions surrounding the squad. He can't complain that he's got no money to sign a centre mid when he's got seven already in the squad and he only seems to trust one of them to actually play in there - all before the first home game of the season too :rolleyes: 

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Comrie has to go on loan to a championship side as soon as Joe is fully fit again. We have enough good quality cover in defence.

He's one of numerous wages you feel could've been saved. Mark Hurst, Aaron Comrie, Kyle McLean, Blair Alston, Greg Hurst and Calum Hendry are all unlikely to contribute anything regularly this season, some probably won't even make the bench this season. 

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It taps a nerve because it's the same shite being pedaled all the time from the manager.  The summer of 2014 was ridiculous but he's been given a decent budget to splurge and he's made some  questionable decisions surrounding the squad. He can't complain that he's got no money to sign a centre mid when he's got seven already in the squad and he only seems to trust one of them to actually play in there - all before the first home game of the season too :rolleyes: 

I totally agree with you but the reaction to the article has been as if it's a totally new revelation rather than just repeating stuff that's frequently peddled, the most recent occasion being not long before Kennedy signed I think.  The unofficial twitter seems to have set the tone. The manner of the Killie defeat is obviously still hurting and I think that's fuelled the reaction to Tommy's comments with Hibs up next not helping. 

11 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

You're right, and I know I'm as guilty as anyone in overreacting over this.  I do wonder if Tommy is at it to wind up the support who were already unhappy following Saturday, before unveiling some French u21 international holding midfielder, just for the lols.

It just feels we are very close to having our most exciting team for a while, but it's so frustrating that the centre midfield is as it is.  It hasn't come as a surprise to anyone, yet it seems we're no closer to sorting it than we were three months ago.  

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You're right, and I know I'm as guilty as anyone in overreacting over this.  I do wonder if Tommy is at it to wind up the support who were already unhappy following Saturday, before unveiling some French u21 international holding midfielder, just for the lols.

It just feels we are very close to having our most exciting team for a while, but it's so frustrating that the centre midfield is as it is.  It hasn't come as a surprise to anyone, yet it seems we're no closer to sorting it than we were three months ago.  

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new face against Hibs now. :lol: 

I actually trust the updates from @perthsaint1977 more than what's in the media and most other sources. I'm more disappointed to see he's suggesting there's nothing immanent more than what Tommy's come out with.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Without wanting to get too boo boy, have we really seen enough from Comrie to suggest he’d get a game in the Championship? 

I guess that would be the big test for him, if he wasn't good enough to play for a championship side whilst out on loan, it would be hard to make a case for keeping him. You'd hope he would get games and confidence and come back more ready for first team action than he is currently.

46 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I guess that would be the big test for him, if he wasn't good enough to play for a championship side whilst out on loan, it would be hard to make a case for keeping him. You'd hope he would get games and confidence and come back more ready for first team action than he is currently.

Why would a Championship side take him? 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would a Championship side take him? 

I can't see it either. Certainly not to a full time club. We'd be looking for some of his wages to be covered wherever he goes on loan but I think the likely destinations would be clubs unable to pay any that hope they could get someone for the season without cost by offering in return first team football. 

Really disappointed re Comrie, When he first started featuring I really thought he was set to have a pretty good professional career. 

Now seeing him, I'm not sure at all - in fact very much doubt it. 

Particularly when I think Clive Smith in his handful of games looked much more assured than Comrie has of late and Smith's playing for Southport now (I think he's still there)

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.