Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
[mention=54832]perthsaint1977[/mention] please confirm TW is just being TW this morning?
Please emoji20.png

Unfortunately not. No players on the radar. Kerr was playing CM again in training yesterday.

*shudder*

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

There’s being prudent and there’s being prudent. I honestly don’t care if we can’t find money for an extra left back and have to play right backs there occasionally. It doesn’t overly bother me when we run with three strikers and have to play young boys there if we need a fourth one. Even last year when we were running without any natural width for half a season it wasn’t the end of the world.

But our squad is incomplete this year. We NEED another midfielder, I can’t see a way we have anything other than a long slog with the likes of Dundee and Livingston all season if we are running with Davidson plus one of Craig/Alston/Spoony or, heaven forbid, Jason Kerr in there. Hopefully this is just his usual public dig at Steve Brown. 

This. Completely this. But then I'm almost certain the manager is at it. That is an issue in itself though. First home game this weekend and he thinks that interview is a sensible approach. He can't help himself though. He has let the frog carry him a long way across the river this summer, further than usual, but it seems like it's just his nature to play these games.

Kerr in CM could end up being a master stroke. Allowing Murray to push further on, he’s an obvious Ariel threat, composed etc. It also allows Joe/Liam to form a partnership without constant chopping and changing. You do wonder where it leaves those obviously not trusted to do the job in midfield though.

Just now, The Woolshed said:

Kerr in CM could end up being a master stroke. Allowing Murray to push further on, he’s an obvious Ariel threat, composed etc. It also allows Joe/Liam to form a partnership without constant chopping and changing. You do wonder where it leaves those obviously not trusted to do the job in midfield though.

I envisage we'll see Kerr regularly have no idea where to play, and pitting him against John McGinn and Stevie Mallan on Sunday sounds horrendous.

Think what it was like when Darnell Fisher was in there. 

If it's true, would leave a huge question mark over him re-signing Alston as a central player. 

1 minute ago, The Woolshed said:

The one problem with this: it involves playing Jason Kerr in midfield.

Has anyone seen him play there though? You’d like to think Tommy is doing this because he at least feels he’s an improvement on any of the other 3 rather than doing it to turn Steve Browns hand...surely. Fingers crossed McGinn will be off by Saturday and at least that gives us a slightly better go before we get someone else in (🤞🏻)

What happened to his quotes a few weeks ago about how he see's Spoony & Alston being able to play there?

Also I presume the playing out from the back type tactics are out the window now too? Certainly made zero attempts at it on Saturday.

Kerr and Muzz fine in possession when under no pressure but the minute they'll have to make something happen under pressure, we'll lose possession.

Teams will continue to just come to mcd and pack 10 men behind the ball and stand off us when were in possession as they'll know in the middle of the park we'll not be able to play through teams - like has been often the case over the last 12 months. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Tommy is at it, has been for a bit. There are targets but wee Broon is, quite rightly imo, standing his ground on this one. It was agreed by TW that we'd run with the young lads and use Spoony Alston and Craig in centre midfield this season. That was Tommys call. Now after seeing it in the flesh he's shat it and is playing his cards for a midfielder. Do we really need McLean, Spoony, McCann, Craig, Alston, Davidson, Wright, Kennedy and now Kerr all vying for 3 or 4 spots? It's Tommys fault, get rid of one first then push for the decent midfielder you want. 

Edit.You can add Scougall to that as well.

Edited by tree house tam

1 hour ago, Radford said:

This. Completely this. But then I'm almost certain the manager is at it. That is an issue in itself though. First home game this weekend and he thinks that interview is a sensible approach. He can't help himself though. He has let the frog carry him a long way across the river this summer, further than usual, but it seems like it's just his nature to play these games.

Radford turning into Eric Cantona is my favourite takeaway from all this.

That interview is a big change from recent comments about knowing we need a centre midfielder and hoping to get one in.  He's possibly playing it down so that other clubs/agents don't see we're desperate and hold us over a barrel.  I hope so!

I will be pissed off if nothing is done by close of transfer window. Any Saints fan who has watched us the past few seasons knew Alston and Spoony weren't suited to playing there. That Liam Craig could do a job as cover if someone's out, but shouldn't be our starting central midfielder for the season.

We let a great player go in that position before we had an idea if we could bring someone new in.

We've brought in two good wide players, but the priority was a central player.  We could have had just one of Kennedy or Wright, and used Spoony or Alston on the opposite side, if money was so tight.

I don't have the same level of fear about Kerr playing in there as others. I thought he looked okay for his short spell on Saturday. Throwing him in against a quality midfield like Hibs might be a big ask, but he plays with a lot of energy, gets stuck in and can play a pass.  He might not bring the guile to create much, but Muzz and him would give a solid foundation for the creativity to come from the wide players and, hopefully, Scougall.  When you look at Killie, their two central midfielders are very physical workmanlike players, and we've certainly been successful with that set up in the past.

If it's a choice for now of Kerr or Wotherspoon/ Alston then I'm all for it young JK getting thrown in there.

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Radford turning into Eric Cantona is my favourite takeaway from all this.

At least we've finally discovered who was behind that account on here. Strange guy.