Kyle

St Johnstone FC Thread

The positive thing about all three signings so far is that, you imagine, if the manager had list of targets, they'd be near the top. With some arrivals, that's not always been the case.

The way our transfer strategy needed to move from a few years ago was to bring more young players through to negate the need for the likes of Michael Hart, Plamen Krachunov and Michael Doyle, and to maintain the squad in a state where the focus could be on a few quality recruits.

Obviously you don't know how these guys will turn out but you can't argue with it too much on paper.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

The way our transfer strategy needed to move from a few years ago was to bring more young players through to negate the need for the likes of Michael Hart, Plamen Krachunov and Michael Doyle, and to maintain the squad in a state where the focus could be on a few quality recruits.

I think we've been able to do that by the standard of youngsters that have come through, all credit to the club.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair fucks to the club this Summer, not sure anyone can have any real complaints 

This is becoming a bit of a catchphrase but I agree with RandomGuy. Really happy with the 3 signings we’ve made and with bringing in a media person too. Braw. 

46 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Average age of that XI can’t be much more than 25/26?

But we only sign old boys?

Average age of that team is exactly 25.5

The positive thing about all three signings so far is that, you imagine, if the manager had list of targets, they'd be near the top. With some arrivals, that's not always been the case.

Didn't realise Watt at the time would of been a main target.
All be it I would of taken a chance on him at Dens but wouldn't of thought he be top of anyone list.
However if the gamble pays off it will be a good one

Good piece of business for St. Johnstone.  Kennedy has been one of those Scottish prospects you have been waiting on for a while to make that step up but it has never really materialized yet, sort of like Tony Watt interestingly.  Hopefully for St. Johnstone fans Tommy Wright can get those two playing well

Despite the rumblings on here, it would appear that the new top is quite popular :o

I suspect this will go down in history as Tommy Wright's best transfer window. The future looks bright.

This post will probably be used against me when we're relegated at the end of the season.

Burnley and Northern Ireland U21 goalkeeper Conor Mitchell is a guest at the match today. A potential loan signing.

Absolute farse. Liam must have been off the park for 7 or 8 minutes there. 

What is wrong with the Montrose bench. Every tackle they're up in arms. 

Some of their antics a bit pathetic too. GIRU them

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Burnley and Northern Ireland U21 goalkeeper Conor Mitchell is a guest at the match today. A potential loan signing.

Suppose he’ll do. Not a priority signing and I suspect he’ll be cheap. Bring him in, Thomas. 

5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

All be it I would of taken a chance on him at Dens but wouldn't of thought he be top of anyone list.
However if the gamble pays off it will be a good one

Tbf Tommy Wright has targeted young Scots who've "lost their way" a lot over the past year or so. Scougall, Kennedy and Watt the obvious examples, we were after the likes of McNulty last Summer aswell (what a signing that would've been, looking back). 

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Tommy Wright has targeted young Scots who've "lost their way" a lot over the past year or so. Scougall, Kennedy and Watt the obvious examples, we were after the likes of McNulty last Summer aswell (what a signing that would've been, looking back). 

You could probably add Swanson and O'Halloran under that heading as well. Without the 'young' bit for Swanson.

Thought Liam Gordon did well again today. Very brave, battled well and looks like he's always calm and in control. 

Wee bit improvement positionally and along with Kerr he'll do very well. 

Overall frustrating today, started feebly but then got the goal. 

Aw TW said we controlled the for over 30 mins after half time and could have been out of sight, unlucky from both McMillian & Hendry for what would have been his first goal for Saints. The frustrating bit is after that we collaped and were almost holding on! 

What a goal that would of been when the lad hit the bar from range. 

Always knew the Montrose players would be physical and press us, but they're OTT reactions mostly coming from the bench every time one of our players made a tackle was very ironic and a bit pathetic I thought...?

Despite the standard of opposition, it's pleasing to see a central defensive partnership of Kerr and Gordon keeping two consecutive clean sheets.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

He's definitely a (big) gamble but I think with a good dressing room, the manager felt he could take that chance on a mercurial player. McMillan and Kane should be decent Premiership strikers but Watt has that flair about him that probably appealed.

I was expecting a third choice striker to come in but Watt is very much in the starting mix.

Unless it's to let Hurst out on loan again, I don't see the thinking with the goalkeeper situation. TW always boasted about having two number one goalkeepers but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case this year. I can live with that as long as our own player (Hurst) is developing I suppose.

Like others, impressed by Liam Gordon again today, although thought Kerr struggled a little bit against two direct strikers. Certainly felt Anderson would have dealt with them a bit more comfortably. Maybe a bit soon to be writing him off.

Still feel we are short in central midfield and would like to see us create more chances in the next couple of games than we have in the first two.

Edited by Radford

Noticed that East Fife and Montrose have both dominated possession against us. I know these stats aren't the be-all and end-all, but surely we should be bossing matches like this. As far as I'm concerned, it only highlights the need for a Millar-type midfielder.