Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Who wants a 6ft4 striker who ripped EFL League One apart last season (better than 1 goal in 3 in terms of minutes, ignore the "games played" figures) and is currently free to move after failing at EFL Championship level...

Spoiler

tam.thumb.png.ec2d9435f3f91f174ffe574eb937e0f1.png

FWIW Chris Kane actually shows up in the "have a look" section when I'm looking at target men, literally all that lets him down is the amount of goals. It'll sound ridiculous but Kane is the closest match to Lyndon Dykes within our price range, apart from the goals.

Edited by RandomGuy.

14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Got to be a better shout than nae goals Hendry. 

I'm pumping these out purely because I know it annoys folk now, tbh, but some drop off from our boy.

Spoiler

hendo.thumb.png.cea3fd9a8a7bc87168af702af66bad8a.png

What season is more indictive of his quality? Has he had an abnormally good season, or an abnormally bad one?

FWIW...

1755017552_hendone.thumb.png.f0e9f606a9d1823c68969779a5a19077.png

Overall the system now thinks hes an average top flight striker, but isn't likely to improve a huge amount.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I want Cal to succeed but I also want a decent striker to come in. Just one decent striker, throw Melameds and Hendrys wage at him, they obviously think they're better than Saints so cheerio lads.

Isn't that what 90% of the league is after? Very little amount of throwing money at it will get you 10+ league goals a season, half the time it's gambles on either young guys stepping up or folk who fell out of it down south

Edited by ATLIS

Hendry in the shape now - ie playing with a strike partner- will probably suit him much more. Kane and May will supply chances for their partner and Hendry is likely to get himself in better positions than either of the other two. If Melamed does stay I’m not sure where Hendry fits though. 

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

Hendry in the shape now - ie playing with a strike partner- will probably suit him much more. Kane and May will supply chances for their partner and Hendry is likely to get himself in better positions than either of the other two. If Melamed does stay I’m not sure where Hendry fits though. 

Behind Melamed in the pecking order? Kane and May load the gun, Melamed and Hendry fire it.

Would guess he'll want a MOH/Middleton type aswell though, which bites into the numbers we could have up front.

Well if you said in November that Saints would qualify for Europe through their league position, win the league cup and be in the final of the Scottish people would have said that you were off your head. Remember some of the panic merchants were even talking about relegation and that Davidson should go!  How wrong they were. Even back then there was the basis of a very good team  but they found it very difficult to buy a goal and lacked confidence against the big boys.

Saints usually do much better from the Christmas break for some reason.
Now to round off what may possibly our best ever season a win next week please. 

On 12/12/2020 at 18:18, Radford said:

It does feel like we are at the crossroads. I don't think we'll go backwards but to have a good season (and fifth should very much be the aim), we need to start adding substance to the style, or it'll be a season of treading water where our quality wins us enough points, but our inability to make the most of opportunities stops us kicking on. 

The two glaring issues are the lack of goals at home (3 from open play in 10 games against Premiership opposition) and the inability to register a clean sheet, despite giving away so few opportunities (4 in 19 games against Premiership sides).

You can get away with one or other but not both. 

Not sure we ever managed to address the goals issue, especially at home (and that will definitely need rectified for next season) but defensively, we started getting the clean sheets to back up performances and it shows you how far you can go if you have enough quality at one end of the park. 

Original post made on 12 December and since the end of that month, we've kept a clean sheet in 50% of our matches. We've played 19 games against non-OF opposition and only conceded 9 goals. What a platform that gives you. 

But if the lack of goals needs addressed moving forward, I think we need to ensure we are better covered defensively next season as well. We have been very fortunate that each of the back three has been able to play over 40 games. 

I think I'd prefer another CB to a another RWB that allows Rooney to move in. You'd still have that cover from Rooney anyway but it takes a lot away from the team. We'd obviously still need a RWB as well but hopefully the budget will stretch to an extra player. 

As a coach, Davidson has earned his stripes this year, so looking forward to seeing what a properly prepared summer brings in terms of recruitment. 

I think we've scored 9 goals in 19 home league games, is that a record low for us?    On the flip side, a decent return of 27 in 19 away games.

Three times as many away from home is a big variance, personally I don't think we set up that differently or with a different intent in home/ away matches.  So the big difference is teams sitting in at McDiarmid Park and our (in)ability to break them down. Matches at home to Aberdeen when they were covid hit, County, Accies, United, Kilmarnock and St Mirren are ones that spring to mind that followed that pattern.

We did improve though, weren't we something like 3 goals scored in our first 10 home league games?

We haven't scored more than 1 goal in a home league game all season, and managed less than a 1 in 2 average.  The season after the cup final we scored less goals overall than this, yet still finished 4th built on lots of 1-0 victories.  The issue is that despite finishing 4th three years running and qualifying for Europe, our crowds never changed, which must have been a huge disappointment to the club.

This current team deserve good crowds next season based on how they've performed and what they've achieved, and we certainly play a style far more pleasing on the eye, but will fans at McDiarmid be patient enough to watch a season of low scoring matches?  Particularly after this season's success if we pick up a few casual or lapsed fans who rock up demanding entertainment?!

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I think we've scored 9 goals in 19 home league games, is that a record low for us?

Someone saying it's a record low for any top flight club, but it's not something I've double checked or anything.

On a side note, TW v Dundee in the play offs by the looks of things...