Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Widge said:

The most pleasing thing for me on Sunday, was Davidson’s use of substitutes. You’ll find a few posts from me earlier in the season saying whilst he’s improved, the one thing he’s never done is alter a game off the bench. Well on Sunday he did it to spectacular effect. He strikes me as a manager who won’t change it unless absolutely necessary, compare that to Goodwin and Ross when things aren’t going well, where they’ve both ditched working shapes to the detriment of the team. We don’t get outplayed a lot which helps on that front, but I imagine now if we were ever at a point whereby we’re 2/3 goals down, Callum would do the right thing. 

It was interesting on Sunday that around the same time we brought Middleton on, Goodwin took Tait off and brought on Connolly.  Thought that was a strange move at the time and so it proved really, you'd imagine Tait wouldn't have done more to stop Booth charging forward to slip it to Middleton.    

2 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Yet you reply! If you really watched our early games, you’d see we were rarely outplayed,indeed dominated most, but for poor finishing would’ve got more points. I don’t think you’re a villain,but an over reactionary p***k, that goes in every thread acting as an authority on all things football.It’s obvious you’ve never played, or you wouldn’t need a bar chart to tell you if someone can play or not. What’s your answer to saying we were stick ons for  relegation? 

We did dominate matches, but failed to score and gave away careless goals to lose on a regular basis.  Stick on for relegation was an exaggeration if that was said by someone, but we were certainly in a relegation scrap unless we improved.

It was frustrating to watch because the same thing was happening most weeks with the same outcome. Slow ponderous attacks, hopeful balls into crowded opposition penalty boxes and few clear cut chances created, with even less scored.  We had to make alterations, and to be fair to Davidson he eventually did to great effect. In the new year we looked far more threatening when we went two up front and used the 3-4-3/ 5-2-3 in selected matches rather than stick religiously to it in every game.  There were other subtle changes in our tactics as well such as less but better balls into the box and some great set piece plays.

I think bonksy makes a point that is overlooked a bit about luck.  We were battered by Hibs in that first 35 minutes of the semi final of the league cup, and but for poor finishing and good goalkeeping the tie would have been over before we got going. We scored in one of our few first half attacks.  From that result the confidence and belief in the side went through the roof.  The defence, which had been partial to a lot of errors and looked fragile at times before new year, became one of the best defences in the league very quickly.

It might well have been just a matter of time before things clicked anyway even if we had lost that match, we'll never know, but I think that was a massive turning point for the manager and players. And probably in terms of completely winning over a lot of the support as well.

5 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

💙 apparently anyone posting negativity is barred from ballot 🤷‍♂️

Seems fair enough.

Changing topic though.

I was always a big fan of Ando. Rarely put a foot wrong once he'd matured and made CH his position. Brave and put his body on the line for the team.

What's your thoughts?

Going to be interesting to see how many fans are allowed.

We sold just over 1600 season tickets the previous season, wouldn’t have thought we’d be near that this current one with the uncertainty going into it.

Anyone an idea of how many we have?

Wonder if the approval to allow fans back for the Euros applies to this as well?
If it doesn't then 200 total will be the max. Sigh.
A collective go f**k yourselves should be the appropriate response to that.

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark  -2022

12. Elliot Parish – 2022(?)

Defenders

19. Shaun Rooney– 2022

6. Liam Gordon - 2022

5. Jason Kerr – 2022

4. Jamie McCart - 2022

24. Callum Booth  – 2022

Midfielders

10. David Wotherspoon - 2023

26. Liam Craig – 2022

18. Ali McCann – 2023

13. Craig Bryson – 2022

Forwards

14. Stevie May  – 2023

22. Callum Hendry - 2022

Contracts Expiring

Scott Tanser, Murray Davidson, Charlie Gilmour, Craig Conway, Michael O'Halloran, Chris Kane, Guy Melamed

Loan Ending

James Brown, Glenn Middleton

The picture starting to clear up a bit now in respect of new contracts. It seems likely Tanser and Melamed will be away and Conway has said talks haven't started with him yet. The manager has been saying that 2 or 3 contracts are close to being concluded. You would assume Davidson and Kane are the likeliest two from that list. He's also keen on keeping O'Halloran but no word yet on Gilmour.

If Brown is available I wouldn't be surprised if Davidson wanted to keep him. Hasn't let the team down at all when he's played, albeit he's not as fun to watch as Rooney. Middleton coming back on loan would be lovely too.

Don't want to think too much about the players out of contract at the end of next season or I'll break out in a cold sweat. Sellable assets galore.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Seems fair enough.

Changing topic though.

I was always a big fan of Ando. Rarely put a foot wrong once he'd matured and made CH his position. Brave and put his body on the line for the team.

What's your thoughts?

A soft gimp,not negative,factually correct,according to Delboy 

Would folk go to the Final if offered a ticket?

I've not got a season ticket holder, but I know someone who does who wouldn't want to go, and said he'll give me his ticket if I want it.

Not sure I'd actually want to though. Sitting on your own 2m from everyone, zero atmosphere etc., think it would be better just getting a group of you watching it somewhere with a couple of drinks tbh, would be easier to get emotional.

Sounds weird writing that down, probably get pelters for not being a "real fan".

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've not got a season ticket holder, but I know someone who does who wouldn't want to go, and said he'll give me his ticket if I want it.

Not sure I'd actually want to though. Sitting on your own 2m from everyone, zero atmosphere etc., think it would be better just getting a group of you watching it somewhere with a couple of drinks tbh, would be easier to get emotional.

Sounds weird writing that down, probably get pelters for not being a "real fan".

Nah I get that, the whole point of going to the football is the social aspect. I’ve not watched a saints game with my dad for 6 months now and I know he won’t go to the final if offered. For me, I’d rather now sit in the house or pub with him and watch it win lose or draw. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Without question. 

Aye it might be a bit shit but I'd much rather be there than not. Those players deserve all the support we can give them and I'd consider myself extremely lucky to be able to give them that.

Personally I may also end up being unable to renew the season ticket due to a potential redundancy so I'd like to make the most of any opportunity I can right now as well.

Although saying that once they supply the sponsors and the club favourite fans there won't be any left for the likes of us anyway.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think there is any doubt that sitting in a beer garden/pub/living room/fanzone with a beer would be far better from a social point aspect, however if St Johnstone were to beat Hibs and lift the Scottish Cup, I think I'd regret it for life if I wasn't there to see it in the flesh... Regardless of masks or social distancing.

Serious thought to be had 🤔

On the one hand, I absolutely want to enjoy the day with friends etc. On the other, if we win the double I absolutely want to be in the stadium to see us do it. It will be a logistical nightmare all round and if we lose I'm sure I'll feel it wasn't worth it. But if we win...

23 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

On the one hand, I absolutely want to enjoy the day with friends etc. On the other, if we win the double I absolutely want to be in the stadium to see us do it. It will be a logistical nightmare all round and if we lose I'm sure I'll feel it wasn't worth it. But if we win...

Totally get that.

38 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

2 nights on the trot, you'll need to get yourself an agent.