Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yes, in terms of Melamed, I think his earlier form made Callum look a bit silly for leaving him out of the team in the weeks/months prior to that. However, with more experience of seeing Guy in the flesh now, I’d be inclined to say that Callum’s initial reluctance makes a bit more sense. Guy clearly has quality and puts himself in the right place at the right time more often than our other strikers, but falls out of big matches pretty often. He isn’t physical and he isn’t fast. If Clive finds him a Championship or League One club, I’d honestly be quite surprised if he does well there. Would still be happy enough to see him back here next season though.

Edited by The Real Saints

Out of Bryson and Conway, I doubt many would have picked the thrice-capped former Derby ace as the one to get the new deal. Not until a few weeks ago, anyway. I still feel his lack of acceleration gets shown up at times (eg on one occasion yesterday when he let the ball run across him in midfield), but he's neat and tidy with the ball and I don't begrudge him another year.

Melamed's influence has waned recently, but he offers something different and I'd love him to stay. Still feel he can be a regular chance-getter and goalscorer – particularly against the diddy teams.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

I like Bryson. He’s rarely let us down when given the chance. Conway’s done fine as well, although I’ve tended to find him a bit frustrating at times. Personally would have always prioritised Bryson over Conway in terms of a new deal.

Conway does indeed do fine but he has indeed frustrated me sometimes also. Especially with his consistency of just ballooning the ball over the bar when shooting was the wrong choice.

Has anyone ever noticed as well when he drives forward with the ball he often does make up decent ground but often just ends up dribbling into a cul-de-sac or into the corner with his back to everyone else so limits his options of a pass etc?

16 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

A word on Chris Kane.

After today he’s scored the same number of goals as Lawrence Shankland this season - but has only played just over 2/3rds the number of minutes that the Dundee Utd player has. His goals have been crucial too - strikes at Celtic Park, Ibrox and today at Hampden amongst them.

His numbers work out at a goal roughly every 2.75 90 minutes. For a guy who’s game is so much more than a goal scorer that’s not bad at all. His development this season has been phenomenal. Fair play to him.

I thought he was superb yesterday. Despite his early attempts at goal. 

If we only lose Tanser and Conway from the current squad, we'd have to be happy with that.

Curious how Davidson approaches the Summer. He'll surely want to add more quality, but at the same time it's unlikely we'll be able to improve in many positions.

Sportsound podcast as usual. Pandering for St. Johnstone fire sale. 

"Davidson has a big decision to make this summer". Encouraging him to just walk from the job cause he can't achieve anything more etc. 

Preston "the secret for him is to get out while he can". You can tell he's a fucking agent these days that's for sure.

Tom English oddly the only one not foaming at the mouth for it.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

The stuff about him not being able to achieve anything else with us is utter shite. What he’s done in the cups is obviously an incredible achievement and probably our best season ever in theory but it’s not like we have been imperious in the league...

I hope Callum is looking at this team as one with amazing potential that could easily be in the running for best of the rest next season with a few tweaks and improvements. Adding a more clinical edge would make us an incredibly good team, maybe the best ever. Add in the fans being back and the impact that will have on how he/the team are viewed and I can’t see how he’s achieved everything he can, it’s fucking nonsense tbh. A swashbuckling league season next year with a 3rd or 4th place finish (maybe another cup in front of fans!) and he’s in keys to the city of Perth territory. Especially if we start scoring the goals we’ve deserved against diddies at home.

Add in the fact he’s clearly growing and improving as a coach and manager - why would he chuck it after one season? Elsewhere he won’t get the patience a lot of us all (not all [emoji102]) shown him earlier, while we were doing the same things without it working particularly well last Autumn.

They’re all shitting it. Absolutely shitting it. 3rd place and a long Europa Conference League campaign next season, then we’ll come to the attention of wealthy tycoons willing to invest their millions in the club. At that point, Callum and Steve Brown can leave with the best wishes of everyone at St Johnstone as we prepare for our first title push.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

They’re all shitting it. Absolutely shitting it. 3rd place and a long Europa Conference League campaign next season, then we’ll come to the attention of wealthy tycoons willing to invest their millions in the club. At that point, Callum and Steve Brown can leave with the best wishes of everyone at St Johnstone as we prepare for our first title push.

Have i wandered into the St Mirren thread by mistake? 🤣

But aye, St Johnstone just need to improve a bit in their start and they'd def be going for one of the top 4 spots, maybe even best of the rest outside of the Glasgow arse cheeks. 

Pundits will be looking at them peaking this season though, and predicting they'll do a Motherwell and drop down to the bottom 6, but they'll always do that lazy option pish, and it's great sticking it right back up them.

42 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I look forward to being renamed ‘Red Bull St Johnstone’ in the coming years.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

But aye, St Johnstone just need to improve a bit in their start and they'd def be going for one of the top 4 spots, maybe even best of the rest outside of the Glasgow arse cheeks. 

Pundits will be looking at them peaking this season though, and predicting they'll do a Motherwell and drop down to the bottom 6, but they'll always do that lazy option pish, and it's great sticking it right back up them.

TRS is , of course, famous for being absolutely serious. All the time.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I'm sure it's the same stuff Motherwell fans were coming out with after finishing 3rd too. Teams tend to struggle to maintain those high levels when you throw in Europe. 

7 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Their keeper was wrong footed at the second, it’s only 5 feet away, but if Zander lost it, there would be hell to pay , but that’s the tiny margins keepers have to deal with, 

Interestingly enough the commentary on the BBC suggested that perhaps Zander should have come for the ball when St Mirren scored.

Have just been informed that P&K Council will be decorating the grouse at Broxden roundabout again with the blue and white scarf and bobble hat - didn’t do it before league cup final due to not trusting cherrypicker on the soft ground on roundabout.

The town will also be getting a blue and white makeover again with bunting etc.

16 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Have just been informed that P&K Council will be decorating the grouse at Broxden roundabout again with the blue and white scarf and bobble hat - didn’t do it before league cup final due to not trusting cherrypicker on the soft ground on roundabout.

The town will also be getting a blue and white makeover again with bunting etc.

Bucket Hat and Pyro

22 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Interestingly enough the commentary on the BBC suggested that perhaps Zander should have come for the ball when St Mirren scored.

That was nonsense. It’s a good flat delivery and if Zander comes for it he’s got as much chance of bouncing off his own man as getting to the ball.

Agree about Melamed, been given a few starts recently in big games and not made a huge impact.  Think he’ll have to produce at least one standout goal scoring performance against either Celtic or Livi to start the final.  Might well have opened up a place for Stevie May if he has a decent game over the next week.

Can understand the calls for Middleton to start, but he’s devastating as an impact sub when the game has opened up, so would prefer to keep him in that role.

Bryson has been good the past few games, but I personally like the balance  of having Liam Craig sitting protecting the defence, and would start him, hopefully gets a full game under his belt before 22nd May.

Ultimately though, such has been Davidson’s ability to pick the right team since the turn of the year that I no longer am that bothered at our starting line ups; and have faith in the collective over and above individuals in the side.