Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Out of curiosity, is the current version of MOH better than Jake Hastie, Sherwin Seedorf, Steven Lawless or Jordan Roberts?

It feels like we've tried to sign him at least 3 times while Robinson was at the club and we're likely to be in the market for wingers. By and large we've played 433 under Alexander but truth be told he's still a complete unknown in terms of how he wants his teams to set up and what he's actually looking for in a player whereas with Robinson it was clear he was 100% sold on pace over ability (*waves at Sherwin*)..

Our January signings feel like they were a lucky dip and a means to an end just to get some fresh bodies in. Kelly and Roberts worked out others...less so but it's unclear how many of those were part of an actual strategy on Alexander's part given that barring Lawless they were 6 month deals to the end of the season or loans.

Honestly, probably not.

I'd wager he's faster than them all and probably causes more sheer panic when he starts to run, but ability wise he's got a low bar. 

On 22/04/2021 at 12:02, Widge said:

It's interesting, if there is up to 5 players who're signing new deals that are out of contract in the summer, I'd hazard a guess at -

• Booth
  • May
  • Davidson
  • Gilmour
  • Sinclair

Not that they're the 5 I'd necessarily all want signed up, but I think they're the most likely right now. Gilmour looked to have a little bit about him and I doubt he'll be that expensive, it's also an area where we need cover at all times. Sinclair is the other wild card for me, he was highly rated at one point in his career and I think was doing alright at Cowdenbeath this season until Covid hit and he got injured, plus you always need a third choice keeper somewhere and I doubt he's expensive either.

Of the ones that I haven't mentioned, literally the only one I'd be upset about not agreeing something with would be Melamed and that's almost certainly not going to happen lets face it. I've made my peace with Tanser, Kane, O'Halloran, etc all leaving. I'd maybe give Conway another year as back up, but other than that it's extensions we realistically need to look at in the summer. 

I'm going to go back to this most that I made. So I was right about the first 2 contract renewals and I'm still fairly confident about the others.

I think that it's possible Kane has agreed to extend as well, but I'm still not 100% convinced. In terms of leaving, I'd be getting shot of Parish, Bryson, O'Halloran, Tanser (not through choice) with a view to upgrading these positions. You've also got the 2 loanees at the club presently, so that's at lease 6 players we're needing to sign, plus a few more bodies to have a squad that isn't the lightest in the league. 

18 minutes ago, Widge said:

Honestly, probably not.

I'd wager he's faster than them all and probably causes more sheer panic when he starts to run, but ability wise he's got a low bar. 

Cheers. I'm not advocating we sign him or anything it's just that I kind of feel like there's a decent chance Alexander might be leaning quite heavily on the player knowledge of the recruitment staff already at the club since I can imagine it being a pretty tough sell to get players up from the English leagues he's worked in previously and we've been in for MOH a few times before.

As @RandomGuy. says though, Killie seems absolutely nailed on for him.

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Out of curiosity, is the current version of MOH better than Jake Hastie, Sherwin Seedorf, Steven Lawless or Jordan Roberts?

It feels like we've tried to sign him at least 3 times while Robinson was at the club and we're likely to be in the market for wingers. By and large we've played 433 under Alexander but truth be told he's still a complete unknown in terms of how he wants his teams to set up and what he's actually looking for in a player whereas with Robinson it was clear he was 100% sold on pace over ability (*waves at Sherwin*)..

Our January signings feel like they were a lucky dip and a means to an end just to get some fresh bodies in. Kelly and Roberts worked out others...less so but it's unclear how many of those were part of an actual strategy on Alexander's part given that barring Lawless they were 6 month deals to the end of the season or loans.

I guess it'll depend on how you define better & depends on what you want our your winger. 

He still seems to have the pace so could still do a job if he could find the fitness and consistency if you want a winger who'll squirm around the outside of the full back at 100mph and fire the ball across the 6 yard box or maybe cut it back he could do it like as it so happens did against Motherwell in the cup. If you want a winger who'll swing a decent delivery into the box or pick someone out at the back post, look elsewhere..

His best period at Saints was in a 4-4-2 as well. 

Like you've seen, Killie will be sniffing around him and the likes of Tanser this summer. (although they could do worse based on the current players performance in their squad this season!)

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

From what I've seen of Motherwell they play quite a narrow front three, which is the kind of role O'Halloran has failed to adapt to with us this season.

The **** raging at Zander's brother on Twitter is hilarious. One of them saying that Zander is a w****r because "he wasted time against us getting the ball for goal kicks when he was at QOS"
Not sure, but think it was probably the "same old Alloa always cheating" guy [emoji23][emoji23]

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The thing with him is, he is still looks as quick as he ever did. He’s not had any serious injuries in his career which are catching up with him.  His loss of form is for the most part mental.  He has always been a streaky player in terms of form.

Got sent off on opening day and let everyone down so was out the picture. Eventually worked his way back and again foolishly got sent off.

He’s never had a run of games this season (his own fault) on which to completely write him off yet for me.

He’s definitely not worth top wages, but as a squad option on a reasonable deal I’d be happy to keep him.  Depends on what we’ve got lined up though.

But ultimately, yes to expecting him to be dressed like a deckchair next season as a Chris Burke back up/ replacement.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The thing with him is, he is still looks as quick as he ever did. He’s not had any serious injuries in his career which are catching up with him.  

From memory so might be wrong, but did he not have recurring hamstring issues in Australia?

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

From memory so might be wrong, but did he not have recurring hamstring issues in Australia?

Yes, which he had when he rocked back up in Perth. 

MOH could hit form again, just look at Chris Kanes wee spell this season for things you thought you'd never see. Can we realistically pay him the wage he expects until he does? Nope. Sorry Mikey, you have been payed well for your service and we have gave you the platform to win some medals but off you pop son.

Not that anyone cares, but I can now "profile" any player in under 5 minutes now, great fun.

Hendry this Summer, Allardice next Summer. Compliment each other well on paper...

Compl.thumb.png.f9b05b77fd2fe2ec2559e4b890726b7d.png

Trying to learn how to scrape WhoScored so I can start using "match event" data to show average positions etc., but its well beyond what I can do just now, so apologies if folk are wanting stuff like that. It takes a fair amount of time to manually create it and I've been running my work for the past week, should be back to normal next week and be able to do stuff like that after the Hibs match.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes he had bother with a hamstring injury when he first went there, would you class that as a serious injury that's had an impact on his physical capabilities over his career?  Not aware of it affecting him since but might be wrong.

Got released cos he couldn't settle in Melbourne I think.

8 hours ago, Radford said:

"Davie, leave that motor alone and come and watch this second half against Motherwell and track every pass and shot for me."

I tried that, but he just hit my laptop with a hammer a couple of times and tried to charge me £200...

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes he had bother with a hamstring injury when he first went there, would you class that as a serious injury that's had an impact on his physical capabilities over his career?  Not aware of it affecting him since but might be wrong.

Got released cos he couldn't settle in Melbourne I think.

I remember chat after he joined where people were of the opinion it had slowed him down a touch, and I do still think he's not as initially "explosive" (in terms of standing a player up then dropping a shoulder and going, he's a wee bit slower which combined with the predictability of it means he's easier to defend against) than he was. 

I know it ties in with what was rumoured on here earlier this week but the manager still talking about 2 or 3 more renewals "by the end of this week" in the press this morning. Then says plans will start on building a squad for next season. 

17 hours ago, The Marly said:

The **** raging at Zander's brother on Twitter is hilarious. One of them saying that Zander is a w****r because "he wasted time against us getting the ball for goal kicks when he was at QOS"
Not sure, but think it was probably the "same old Alloa always cheating" guy emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Someone posted his brothers initial tweet on here and I did think he'd be better off leaving it alone.